PDA

View Full Version : C7 better than M30 in small room?

adinoto
25-03-2006, 09:10 AM
I read in many times people said that for smaller room C7 is better than M30. Why? usually smaller speaker is better suited for smaller room? I know their size difference is not that much...
And, does that mean SHL5 also good or even better than those two in smaller room?

Maybe Alan can throw some light on this, technically or design wise? What is the "optimum" room range for these speakers? Which one suited for near field listening?

Regards..

Bruce
25-03-2006, 07:27 PM
I read in many times people said that for smaller room C7 is better than M30.

I disagree. I auditioned the C7 and M30 in a small room. The M30 had a tighter bass response and more pleasing upper mids and highs (less glare and brightness) because of the Excel tweeter/crossover design. To me the choice was easy. I have the M30's on order.

Hu
26-03-2006, 06:28 AM
I disagree. I auditioned the C7 and M30 in a small room. The M30 had a tighter bass response and more pleasing upper mids and highs (less glare and brightness) because of the Excel tweeter/crossover design. To me the choice was easy. I have the M30's on order.

Agree, although I have never had the chance to audition the C7 and HL5 in a small room as mine, but for me M30 do have less glare and brightness and more smoothness, so the choice was easy for me, so M30 are with me more than one year.

tobes
27-03-2006, 03:00 AM

While I haven't heard the M30's, and I'm sure their expensive Excel tweeter is exceptionally smooth, I find it difficult to imagine using the words 'glare' and 'brightness' in describing the C7.
In my setup the C7 sounds very smooth with zero fatigue factor - I don't hear any glare or brightness that I could attribute to the speaker.
Perhaps this is something only observed in a direct comparison to the M30??

Bruce
08-04-2006, 07:57 PM
While I haven't heard the M30's, and I'm sure their expensive Excel tweeter is exceptionally smooth, I find it difficult to imagine using the words 'glare' and 'brightness' in describing the C7.

Maybe you do need to hear the M30's in a direct comparison.

tobes
09-04-2006, 01:42 PM
Maybe you do need to hear the M30's in a direct comparison.

Maybe, though if you're correct, then perhaps 'ignorance is bliss' for me. I don't have any desire to seek more high frequency refinement, while I find the bass tuning of the C7 to be about ideal. Heard in isolation, the C7 sounds very smooth and refined.....and intensely musical and involving.

I personally don't find ultimate refinement/detail/bass tautness to be critical factors in choosing a speaker (or any other component for that matter). In any case the C7 is very good in these (and other) 'performance parameters' - and blends them to produce an extremely enjoyable and satisfying speaker. One I can live with for the long haul.
I listen to everything - classical/Jazz/Blues/Rock/Pop/Rap(!) and find the C7 to be wonderfully revealing, uncoloured, insightful and brilliantly communicative. It reveals every minor system change and continues to sound even better as I optimise setup and associated components.
Why would I want to mess with this winning formula?

airdavid
06-06-2006, 03:58 PM
Compact 7 is a good match with Naim Nait 5i, but what do you think about M30-nait 5i ? Is it a risk? too quality differences?

regards

David

airdavid
03-05-2007, 06:42 PM
What're differences in the bass response between Compact 7 and Monitor 30?
I mean depth, articulation, impact, etc...

thank you,
regards
David