PDA

View Full Version : Repository of adjectives to describe "sound"

Sebastien
17-11-2010, 03:42 AM
I was thinking about this project for few weeks. I’d like that we, HUG’ers, create what will be an informal repertory of words we usually use to describe sounds that we heard. Just like a wine taster have his own terms to describe wines. For us, we often describe sounds.

I jump in the water and start this thread by associating words I use to describe the sounds I heard in the 3 main frequencies categories. Usually, I think of a word in French and then translate it.

It goes like this :

1) Treble : sharp, edgy, soft, roll-off, attacking, extended, etc.

2) Medium : warm, sweet, real, veiled, detailed, transparent, forward, etc.

3) Bass : articulated, boomy, precise, extended, controlled, deep, diffused, powerful, etc.

This is a work in progress. We should have the objective to share many words and our own repertory will expend. So, I’d like you to you add your own terms. It could also be interesting to describe and discuss them.

Hope to read you,

Sebastien

BAS-H
17-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Good thread. The supplier of a valve amp I bought a while ago has a similar page on his site. It's a pretty good vocabulary.
http://www.hifiandaudio.com/sound.html

The trouble with defining terms is objectivity, I find. Some are easier to define than others. 'Roll-off', a decline in dB with frequency, is pretty unambiguous, as is 'extended', an extension of response into frequency extremes, but 'attacking'? Is that synonymous with 'good transients'?

I describe my Proacs as having a 'hard sheen' but wouldn't like to try and describe that in words.

How to describe a sense of scale, as in the convincing crescendos of Mahler's Eighth for example? It's not the same as SPL, or volume.

Interesting.

STHLS5
17-11-2010, 11:43 AM
You mean defining audiophile's terms to describe the sound? Stereophile and The Absolute Sound magazines have published them long time ago. Stereophile's audio glossary can be accessed here (http://www.stereophile.com/reference/50/index1.html).

It even describes person like me who believes that all components that measures the same, sound the same as auronihilist.

ST

Supersnake
17-11-2010, 01:40 PM
You mean defining audiophile's terms to describe the sound? Stereophile and The Absolute Sound magazines have published them long time ago. Stereophile's audio glossary can be accessed here (http://www.stereophile.com/reference/50/index1.html)...
ST

Bookmarked! Thank you.

BAS-H
17-11-2010, 02:21 PM
All components that measures the same, sound the same? Always? Or only when the measuring device has resolution, sensitivity and consistency greater than the ear? And what about the problem of measurement scope? An ear can detect all aspects of sound at once—that I think is what music is—but no other measurement device can do so. Hm, I don't think I'm an auronihilist.

Grateful for the Stereophile glossary.

Sebastien
17-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Thank you BAS-H and STHLS5 for you links. It was exactly what I was expecting.

I already read the first link and I began the Stereophile glossary.

Sebastien

singslingr
21-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the links, guys.

Just like to add that overall, I like my hifi system to be "limpid''.

Sebastien
21-11-2010, 01:26 PM
...I like my hifi system to be "limpid''.

Is there a difference from "transparent"?

Sebastien