PDA

View Full Version : Snow closes Harbeth UK

A.S.
02-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Sorry to report that the overnight downpour (total here about 30cms now) makes it impossible for staff to reach Harbeth by car. As I am the one living nearest, I'll walk to Harbeth, but obviously we will lose production time, no goods can be despatched or materials arrive.

I cannot recall during my adult life here in the south of England such severe snow, so early in the winter season.

dave_shaw
02-12-2010, 11:25 AM
These are incredible sights 11 months after the previous arctic-esque snowfall in Sussex. Even at my tender age of early twenties, I can only recall heavy snow such as this two or three times...and now twice within 12 months...incredible scenes!

A.S.
02-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Here are some pictures I took on my trudge to Harbeth from home this morning.

STHLS5
02-12-2010, 01:16 PM
That's a lovely shot. The best compared to the rest.

ST

Labarum
02-12-2010, 02:06 PM
I am in Cyprus and the weather is unseasonably warm. The days are short but from 10am to 3pm it's plenty warm enough for shorts and a tee shirt. We are still getting temperatures in the mid twenties Celsius.

My wife, however, has been on the phone to here father on the south coast of England. He says he has never seen as much snow or felt so cold in the 25 years he has lived in a sea front flat in a resort renowned for it's mild climate.

So also in Southampton where we have a flat. We have been sent pictures and they have an amazing amount of snow. Southampton has a mild maritime climate and is further protected by the Isle of Wight. It has done no good this year.

We return to UK a week today and hope the worst will be over by then.

Time to go to the cinema and watch Harry Potter - yes, it is showing even in Nicosia.

harbethpr
02-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Production Manager Andy Sinden, unable to drive in to Harbeth today, was able to work from home. He emailed our distributors to apologise for our inability to make any despatches and was rewarded with .... orders within the hour for an additional 31 pairs of speakers including 'the king' (M40.1).

Thank you!

P.S. Here is a picture of the UK covered in snow (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11901718) from a satellite ....

Some more photos attached.

fretless
03-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Here in Montreal we haven't yet had any significant snow (although the snow tires are on the car). I had no idea there could be so much snow in England, skiers here would love to have that much white stuff on the ground.

A.S.
03-12-2010, 05:12 PM
A picture I took outside the Harbeth factory, looking west this afternoon.

Sebastien
03-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Here in Montreal we haven't yet had any significant snow (although the snow tires are on the car). I had no idea there could be so much snow in England, skiers here would love to have that much white stuff on the ground.

I agree!

Sebastien

skylan
03-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Hey Alan,

Perhaps get a horse and slay, or something similar and a few kids and shoot a few more pics and you would have a very nice Christmas Card for emailing. (Just a thought).
Cheers,
Noel.

{Mod's comment: Great idea!!}

ryder
20-12-2010, 05:25 AM
The snow closes London's Heathrow as well. A colleague was forced to put up a night (or several) at a friend's place when all the hotels are fully booked. He mentioned the Heathrow airport was in a mess. The weather in the UK for this year is amazing with temperatures down to below -10 C.

{Moderator's comment: The problem has ben

Labarum
20-12-2010, 08:55 AM
The period of cold weather a few weeks ago saw -21 Celsius in northern Scotland, but a couple of nights ago -19 was recorded in central England, not far from Birmingham. Quite remarkable.

Sebastien
20-12-2010, 02:58 PM
The period of cold weather a few weeks ago saw -21 Celsius in northern Scotland, but a couple of nights ago -19 was recorded in central England, not far from Birmingham. Quite remarkable.

Looks like Quebec's routine in the winter time. Happy winter to every HUG'ers!

Sebastien