PDA

View Full Version : Difference between M40 25th and M40.1?

zhweng
06-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Can somebody tell the difference between M40 25th anniversary and M40.1?

{Moderator's comment: the M40 and M40.1 are completely different speakers....}

zhweng
07-12-2010, 12:25 AM
That is point! can anybody tell some detail of the different?

I heard the sound of M40 25th anniversary but no chance to meet M40.1 now, need help!

or reply the old topic (there is too many) :)

hifi_dave
07-12-2010, 10:24 AM
The main difference is that the bass driver is a new design for the M40.1 and this required a re-worked crossover, resulting in a cleaner, faster bass.

There might also have been some other minor 'tweaks' to improve the sound.

zhweng
07-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks!

I like warn & sweet sound, that make me relax, which pair of speakers will give that feeling?

Sebastien
07-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Thanks!

I like warn & sweet sound, that make me relax, which pair of speakers will give that feeling?

I already heard C7ES-3 and SHL5 (which I own) and both of them will give you that kind of sound. They are easy and pleasant to listen to. The listening fatigue is almost at zero. Sure, you can be tired some days and don't want to hear any noise, but Harbeth are great even at low volume.

Sebastien

hifi_dave
07-12-2010, 07:35 PM
The M40.1 is a wonderful speaker, communicative, natural and very easy on the ear. If you possibly can, have a demonstration.

Gan CK
08-12-2010, 12:05 AM
All Harbeths are naturally warm & sweet IMHO. You can literally sit through the whole day listening to them without a hint of fatigue.

{Moderator's comment - as Alan has commented, zero listening fatigue is his Number One design requirement. A speaker that is fatiguing should not be on the market as it is useless for natural reproduction. Simple as that.}

ryder
08-12-2010, 08:01 AM

Difficult to answer this question as all models of Harbeth speakers sound warm and sweet and give a relaxing feel that is free from listening fatigue.

I believe a more pertinent issue to consider is the M40 requires more current to come alive than the M40.1s. The new M40.1s will sound at home with flea to modestly powered amps if you listen at low to moderate volume levels. If listening levels are higher, a powerful amp would be necessary.

zhweng
10-12-2010, 02:20 PM
thanks for all replys!
seems 40.1 is more easy to drive, but there is on chance to compare them.
pitty.

{Moderator's comment: please remember that the M40 (original model) was replaced by the M40.1 some time ago. Any M40 you can find will be old/used.}