PDA

View Full Version : An Observation on Players

BAS-H
15-12-2010, 10:15 AM
I have a CD player, it cost a grand, and a DVD player, it cost 27 and also plays CDs. Both are the same age and were bought new from the high street. Played through my amp and P3ES2s, I could tell them apart in a double-blind, but I couldn't have told which was the 1K and which was the 27 player, if I hadn't known from the start. Just goes to demonstrate the insoluble problem of prejudice.

kittykat
16-12-2010, 06:39 AM
Please tell which was the better sounding one? the more affordable one or the more expensive one? thanks.

BAS-H
16-12-2010, 10:08 AM
I can't, Kittykat. The difference is very obvious (though hard to describe in words) but the superiority of one over the other is only a matter of opinion. I'll make an attempt to describe them... the expensive one is the more limpid and transparent but the cheaper one has a smooth ease of listening that is no less pleasant.

Of course, there's little doubt over which will last the longer. The cheaper one's predecessor pegged out after a couple of years and the sound of the disc tray opening is one of grinding nastiness! The expensive player's predecessor dated from the eighties and still runs to this day.