PDA

View Full Version : Harbeth and small children - damage potential?

Elephant
24-12-2010, 11:06 PM
I'm considering buying some SHL5's, but one of my concerns is that it will be placed in the living room where my 18 month old daughter plays. I love playing music to her, and do so every morning and evening, but my current speakers have protective grills over the drivers. Aside from the occasional cheeky pat, she hasn't been too bad, but I have concerns about how she'll relate to the Harbeths. The covers are soft so the drivers will be more exposed. Also, she has just started crayoning madly. Of course, she will be supervised most of the time, but a lot can happen in a moment with toddlers.

How have people found that small children react to their Harbeths? And just how robust are the drivers?

Sebastien
26-12-2010, 04:24 AM
...How have people found that small children react to their Harbeths? And just how robust are the drivers?

My little daughter has 5 months actually and already enjoy those British toys :-) Well, she doesn't play with them but listen to them.

While she doesn't move too much around at her age, I'm more concern about what it will be in the next few months. The speaker on its stand can fall on her if she pushes it.

About your concern of the grill and the Radial driver, someone had to hit it madly to damage it when the grills are on. I'm confident with the grills.

Sebastien

BAS-H
26-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Re. stands, speakers and little children, just remember that blue tac is your friend. A surprisingly strong adhesive after it's been in place for a few days.

Ben

{Moderator's comments: yes BUT please read our warning about using too much. Onother user who used too much, didn't lif the speakers for years and when he did, ripped off the veneer. BluTak make a virtually permanent bond BEWARE!}

Don Leman
26-12-2010, 04:16 PM
{Moderator's comments: yes BUT please read our warning about using too much. Another user who used too much, didn't lift the speakers for years and when he did, ripped off the veneer. BluTak make a virtually permanent bond BEWARE!}

A tip given to me by Noel at Skylan was to remove the speaker with a twisting motion to lessen the chance of damaging the veneer. Your warning though is good to mention. So if you need to use Blue tac use small pea size amounts and take care to give the speaker a bit of a twist if you ever have to remove it from the stand.