PDA

View Full Version : Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Eucalyptus - the most musical speaker I've owned

ysuryadi
03-01-2011, 04:08 AM
After owned several brand Hi-End speaker from Hansen Audio The Prince V2, Kharma CRM3.2FE, Dunlavy SC-5, Nola Viper Reference, Audio Physic Avanti III, Vienna Acoustics Mahler&Grand Mozard, ATC SCM11&19, Totem Model1Sig, Xavian Mia&XN250, Eggleston Isabel, JmLab Electra, Usher Dancer 8571BE, Magnepan MG1.6&3.6, Stirling LS3/5a V2, Genelec 8050a etc my new Harbeth speaker is the most musical.

hifi_dave
03-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Took you a while to get there but well done.

Jmohd
03-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Hi Ysuryadi,

Welcom to the HUG. I've seen your previous setup in the Audiogon.

The Prince V2 was your last speaker driven by Plinius. With the room space you have, M40.1 would be better and you don't need the subs.

Have tried plinius with harbeth?

Gan CK
03-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Wow what a track record of hyper high end speakers there....but i am not in the least surprised that your C7 is the most musical of them all. With the exception of the Genelec 8050A, i have heard all the rest.

Some were very awful sounding to the point of being unbearable.

tein3
03-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Nice room size you have there :-o and nice colour balance you have on your pictures :-)

ysuryadi
03-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Not yet Jmohd but I'll try someday because my Plinius sold out before I got C7 :)

keithwwk
04-01-2011, 01:34 AM
Harbeth = musical and wonderful...finally you are into the music...good choice :)

In today market, most so called hi-end speakers are hi-end in price, low-end in making music...

ysuryadi
04-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Yes I agree with u :)

ysuryadi
04-01-2011, 08:50 AM
Only 4m wide and 5.5m long :)

ysuryadi
04-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Harbeth = musical and wonderful...finally you are into the music...good choice :)

In today market, most so called hi-end speakers are hi-end in price, low-end in making music...

That's true bro.

ysuryadi
09-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Try McIntosh MC275 mkV but no enough power to drive C7 so upgrade to GamuT M250 mk3 with single mosfet technology the performance better than tube and bipolar amp :)

Takis
09-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Hi ysuryadi.

In the fourth picture I see a yellow cable behind the amp in 5 or 6 rounds. Making rounds in a signal cable (if it is a signal cable) may cause problems -I think- at some frequencies (acts like a coil?). Maybe someone who knows better can give some advice...

ysuryadi
10-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Yes I'll cut the wire so not round like a coil :)

Hi ysuryadi.

In the fourth picture I see a yellow cable behind the amp in 5 or 6 rounds. Making rounds in a signal cable (if it is a signal cable) may cause problems -I think- at some frequencies (acts like a coil?). Maybe someone who knows better can give some advice...

{Moderator's comment: if you do the maths you will see that inductance is related to the number of loops of a coil. Two or three loops will have zero inductance. You would need a few hundred turns to measure any magnetic effect. I wouldn't worry about this at all. Studios often have microphones connected via huge drums of cable.}

STHLS5
10-01-2011, 11:02 AM
.....{Moderator's comment: if you do the maths you will see that inductance is related to the number of loops of a coil. Two or three loops will have zero inductance. You would need a few hundred turns to measure any magnetic effect. I wouldn't worry about this at all. Studios often have microphones connected via huge drums of cable.}

Thanks for clearing another myth. I have read in many places about interconnects shouldn't touch each other and speaker wires shouldn't coil but I couldn't tell any difference in the sound quality. Yet, I am still guilty of going thru extra effort to separate all cables to the extend of hanging them just to be "audiophilely" (is there such word?) correct.

But it is still a good practice to keep the wires away from power source.

ST

HUG-1
10-01-2011, 11:13 AM
A coil of wire in the air away from anything ferromagnetic is called a solenoid. Very simple maths will show you the inductance. For example here (http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/Air-Core-Inductor-Calculator.phtml).

We put some numbers into the calculator based on our guess of the yellow wire coil. The result was a few microhenries. Even our test meter is not sensitive enough to accurately measure such a tiny inductance. That inductance may be a worry to the designer of a mobile radio working at hundreds of MHz. But it is not a relevant worry at audio frequencies. The amplifier's output will have more inductance.

hifi_dave
10-01-2011, 12:11 PM
It is common sense to keep interconnects as far away as practical from anything with mains on, as 'hum' can be induced. Also, phono stages, because of their extra gain, should be sited for lowest 'hum' pick up.

ysuryadi
11-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Try to use fully balanced component so u are safe from hum that can degrade listening pleasure from beautiful sound by Harbeth :))
It is common sense to keep interconnects as far away as practical from anything with mains on, as 'hum' can be induced. Also, phono stages, because of their extra gain, should be sited for lowest 'hum' pick up.

bullethead
14-01-2011, 03:24 PM
absolutely gorgeous. I have the same speakers, however you have a better sense for interior design than I have at the moment ;)

that looks like a comfortable leather listening chair? I have a similar seating arrangement. absolute blissful listening environment I am really impressed thanks for sharing.

warm regards,

ysuryadi
15-01-2011, 05:52 AM
Thank's for your good comment sir :))
absolutely gorgeous. I have the same speakers, however you have a better sense for interior design than I have at the moment ;)

that looks like a comfortable leather listening chair? I have a similar seating arrangement. absolute blissful listening environment I am really impressed thanks for sharing.

warm regards,

ysuryadi
22-01-2011, 12:07 AM
Harbeth C7 ES-3 drive by power amp GamuT M250 mkIII and preamp VTL TL 5.5 mkII make quickness, clarity, depth of resolution, layered soundstaging, and arresting midrange depth always proved warmly involving and musically compelling.

bullethead
23-01-2011, 02:15 PM
You use a CEC Transport? Wow. How does that sound? I was looking into a CEC Belt Driven cd transport but I bought a Bel Canto CD-2 instead. Supposed to sound really good with a sense of rhythm and pace. That's beautiful. All the best of luck with the 7ES-3's, I love the sound.

ysuryadi
23-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Yes I use CEC as a transport you must try belt drive technology is so analog like turntable
You use a CEC Transport? Wow. How does that sound? I was looking into a CEC Belt Driven cd transport but I bought a Bel Canto CD-2 instead. Supposed to sound really good with a sense of rhythm and pace. That's beautiful. All the best of luck with the 7ES-3's, I love the sound.

Aceca
11-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Very nice ysuryadi, Cantik Sekali

ysuryadi
14-03-2011, 07:17 AM
Hahaha cantik sekali like Queen Diana :)
Very nice ysuryadi, Cantik Sekali

Gan CK
14-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Hahaha cantik sekali like Queen Diana :)

Not just gambar cantik but most importantly Suara also banyak cantik.

ysuryadi
14-03-2011, 10:23 AM
I agree Mr Gan sound quality must be priority
Not just gambar cantik but most importantly Suara also banyak cantik.