PDA

View Full Version : SHL5 with Densen amps, used to own ATC

camel
29-10-2011, 01:44 PM
Hi to everybody,

As a new member i have to say that i'm very happy with Harbeth Shl5, thanks Mr. Alan!!

Previously i had ATC SCM40..., but when i listen the Shl5 at my place, i lost my mind!! Magical!!

My set up is: preamplifier Densen b-200
poweramplifier Densen b-300XS[100W in 8Ω, 200W in 4Ω]
Arcam fmj cd33
Rega Planar3 with RB300 and Denon DL103R
phono stage Trichord Dino Mk2 with Trichord Dino+ power supply
Tuner Naim Nat05
speakers cables Mogami 3103

Any suggestions about my set up?

Do you think Densen is a good synergy for Harbeths? for my ears is unique!!!!

thanks!!

hifi_dave
30-10-2011, 09:20 AM
Welcome to the HUG.

That's a pretty fine system you have there. Just enjoy your Densens and SHL5's.

camel
30-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Welcome to the HUG.

thank you!

do you think that i have to change anything?
i plan to update the Rega planar3 with the P5, and perhaps a better cartridge.
Maybe in the future to replace the Arcam with a Naim cdp.

have a nice day

tozen
30-10-2011, 06:19 PM
A lovely set up you have there. Don't go making any big changes though. When you get the chance see what difference other (and not necessarily more expensive) phono stages make to the sound, as the phono stage has a significant impact on the overall balance of sound.

camel
31-10-2011, 07:55 PM
Welcome to the HUG.

Hi again,

do you believe that an LFD amplifier will be better than Densen amplifier? I'm asking that because at this forum many people says very good things about this amplifier(LFD)!!

thanks

EricW
31-10-2011, 10:29 PM
do you believe that an LFD amplifier will be better than Densen amplifier? I'm asking that because at this forum many people says very good things about this amplifier(LFD)!!

Hi camel:

I wouldn't worry about it. Beyond a certain basic level of quality, differences between amplifiers are minor compared to differences between speakers, and the effec of speaker/room interactions. This is especially true with Harbeths, which any good-quality amplifier can drive with ease. Enjoy your Densens, and divide your savings between music and your drink of choice. Maybe even a few euros to charity, if you can manage it. Any one of the three will make you feel better than new amplification, which you really don't need.

Gan CK
01-11-2011, 02:40 AM
Hi again,

thanks

Hi Camel,

Though i am a very happy LFD/SHL-5 user, but that does not mean you should immediately go & get one. If i am not wrong, you are still a pretty new SHL-5 user so why don't just sit back, relax & enjoy what you have. Let the SHL-5 get really deep under your skin with its superb musicality & tonality. Don't be in a hurry to upgrade.

keithwwk
01-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Hi camel:

I wouldn't worry about it. Beyond a certain basic level of quality, differences between amplifiers are minor compared to differences between speakers, and the effec of speaker/room interactions. This is especially true with Harbeths, which any good-quality amplifier can drive with ease. Enjoy your Densens, and divide your savings between music and your drink of choice. Maybe even a few euros to charity, if you can manage it. Any one of the three will make you feel better than new amplification, which you really don't need.

I am happy LFD/SHL5 user as well but I fully agree what Eric had suggested. If you love the music now why change the amp? Sit back, relax and bathe with the music..I am very sure harbeth pure and natural sound will reward you..

Cheers

pranderos
01-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Hi again,

thanks

I had a chance to make direct comparison over a couple of hours between LFD and Densen 150 integrated. They were driving some good Brit speakers, but not Harbs. Sonically, I felt there was very little difference between the two amps in that setting; both excellent, alive, sounding true-to-life. YMMV. But the Densen has a very functional and well thought out remote, not to mention spiffy Danish design; LFD is more Spartan, no remote option. Then again, the Densen 150 was more costly for comparable sonics.

At home demo, I found the LFD silver sig had a wonderfully lit-up from within sound, but it had too much gain for me, as if configured for phono stage rather than for digital sources. With a CD player, it went quickly from too quiet to hear properly to louder than I normally listen with others in the house. I couldn't make it work for my accustomed quiet listening without getting into attenuation of some sort, and reluctantly returned it.

Moral of the story is that even deservedly well-reputed gear may not be quite your cup of tea when you get it into your own place, the usual home audition advice, etc. etc.

cheers,
-paul-

camel
03-11-2011, 02:09 PM
thanks everybody for your opinions!!

camel
05-11-2011, 06:06 PM
...I'll keep my amps and i'm going to change the cartridge(Denon dl103R) of turntable!! I'm looking for a cartridge musical with very good middles, if anyone can give me an advice will be very good for me! Somebody have told me about ZYX 50!! about Dynavector is very detailed and maybe this is going to be boring!! i don't know about Ortofon!! I know that this forum inform us about speakers but i'm sure that everybody here know about other spare parts.

kerouack
15-02-2012, 12:43 PM
buy music : )

camel
17-02-2012, 09:59 PM
buy music : )

always!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!