PDA

View Full Version : On the verge of purchase... advice please.

dogdog
31-03-2012, 01:44 PM
As indicated in the title, I'm on the verge of purchasing my first pair of Harbeths. I'm hesitating as the new 3-way Kef R300s are generating much positive feedback, and because I can demo only them, not the P3ESRs, I would like to be sure the Harbeths are a better choice for me - someone who will use them at low volume levels, in near-field placement, in a book-lined study (20' x 12' x 8'), for mostly classical, including orchestral, and acoustic.

I am absolutely not seeking anyone to bash the Kefs on my behalf; just to advise me what I would gain with them (if anything), and what I would lose.
Thank you in advance.

(My current set-up is: Marantz CD5004 and iMac > Audiolab M-DAC > Quad Elite Stereo power amp > Kef Q300.)

paolo
05-04-2012, 09:12 AM
As someone who in 5 hours is about to purchase his first pair of P3ESRs I would say wait until you have listened to the music these speakers produce. I have sold my Guarneris, returned the Chartwell LS3/5As and am taking the plunge with Harbeth. I am totally committed to the quality product line, the vision, ethos,and above all the music.

I am not knocking Kef, Chartwell et al all I am saying in near field(but not exclusively so) the P3ESRs bring a sound and soundstage that few others can achieve.

Try to audition these speakers either in Holland or UK. I am not in the Audio Business, as you will see from my profile.
I will be posting photos etc of the system in place together with ramblings about how its all going.

paolo
05-04-2012, 03:17 PM
dogdog

P3ESRs now installed into my system and the music is gorgeous. My system is not particularly powerful (2watts per channel Single Ended Triode) but comprises good quality components. The sound is all enveloping and a tribute to excellent engineering especially from the Harbeth Company.

It took me fully five minutes to decide... actually probably less

dogdog
05-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Hi Paolo,
Thanks for these comments. Much appreciated.
best,

keithwwk
05-04-2012, 04:35 PM
I am listen mostly as what you are listen too. Low volume as well. I am harbeth user since 2004 and now I have both C7 and SHL5 till today I can very sure to tell you I love them and will not apart with either one. I heard the lovely P3ESR several times and I can ensure you it is equally well. If financially allow I hope to own a pair. I am saving very very hard for the M40.1 hope one day it will sit in my hall.

Get the Harbeth you will not regret and prepare for many many yrs of musical satisfaction.