PDA

View Full Version : SHL5 or Compact 7ES-3 for Rock / Electronic

Rafal
15-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Hi Folks,

From what I have read, it sounds like the SHL5 or Compact 7ES-3 are great for Jazz and Classical. How do they fare with rock or electronic / electroacoustic music? I am considering those speakers and but would like to make sure that they can be suitable for all the different music types I listen to.

Thanks,

Rafal

A.S.
16-05-2007, 06:17 PM
You are correct that as my personal tastes are for jazz and classical music - or indeed New World music (anything well recorded that makes you sit up and take notice!) I can't really comment about rock music in detail.

I am a big fan of "West Coast rock" such as Steely Dan or Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Beech Boys, James Taylor which all sound wonderful on SHL5 or C7. As for driving rock and roll played at a high level, a Harbeth is rather a sophisticated product to let loose on such music.

vaughn3d
16-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Personally I disagree with anyone who says that Harbeths cannot do rock music. My two favorite bands are Oasis and Megadeth, two very aggressive forms of rock music. My C7es2 do a fantastic job on this music, especially on the rythym guitar. When learning about Harbeths I read many comments that claimed they are not suitable for rock and lucky for me, I ignored them because my ears told me different during an audition. Go for Harbeths, you wont be sorry.

LD31
16-05-2007, 11:10 PM
Hi,
I also had read some reviews saying that Harbeths are not good for rock music; naturally they do not sound like a stadium system at full volume, but I now own a pair of Monitor 30 and I can tell you that listening to Pink Floyd (The Wall), Mc Cartney (Silly Love Songs) or Peter Gabriel (Sledgehammer) is very exciting; the "drive" is excellent, the music is punchy but accurate and soft; it slams, even in my large 60 square meters room (not down to 16 Hz of course!); in french "?a d?m?nage"; when you listen to the same music on other (expensive) speakers the sound seems blurred.

Sorry for my English, it is not easy for me to find the suitable words.

Regards,
Laurent.

Rafal
17-05-2007, 02:20 AM
Thanks Guys,

That sounds incouraging. Especially since one of my two favorite bands is Pink Floyd (the other being Radiohead). I am leaning towards SHL5 although 7ES-3 might work too since I have a JM Acoustic sub that I can use. If I go down the route of smaller speaker like Compact &ES-3, Do you think Monitor 30 would be a better choice?

If there only was a spot closeby to try and listen to them.

I appreciate your opinion.

Thanks,

Rafal

A.S.
17-05-2007, 12:11 PM
Regarding subwoofers generally, one thing to think about is this .... does the sub work continuously in addition to the main speaker (up to a certain frequency say, 110Hz) or does the sub take the L, R outputs from your amp, strip away the bottom end low frequencies, feed them to the subwoofer's bass unit and pass on the remaining mid-high to the front speakers?

When I designed the subwoofer for HHB that's how I arranged it.

Do you follow my question or would a little hand-sketch help explain this?

A.S.
17-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Regarding subwoofers generally, one thing to think about is this .... does the sub work continuously in addition to the main speakers (up to a certain frequency say, 110Hz) or does the sub take the L, R outputs from your amp, strip away the bottom end low frequencies, feed them to the subwoofer's bass unit and pass on the remaining mid-high to the front speakers?

When I designed the active subwoofer for HHB that's how I arranged it.

Do you follow my question or would a quick hand-sketch help explain this?

Rafal
17-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Alan,

Thanks for your suggestion. I do follow it. Right now, I have my sub and my main speakers (Tannoy System 800 Active) fed the same signal without first splitting it into the low and high frequency. Just like in your first scenario.
If I were to split it first, as you suggest, then I would either have to get a sub that has that feature (I'm not sure if my sub does) or introduce another filter to split high and low frequencies. I think if I find a good quality external XO than this would be an ideal setup, but right now I have been able to achieve a pretty good integration by just using the same signal for the mains and the sub. I hope this would work with Harbeths as well.

A.S.
17-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Your set-up clearly works.

I have never been completely convinced by the idea of grafting-on a subwoofer to an existing hi-fi (audio only) system although I'm looking at this as a purist. I'm aware that (for movies/home theatre) that there are "bass redirect" options in the Dolby Digital decoder that can strip and redirect the bass from the main speakers to a sub.

Some things concern me about running a sub (in parallel) with the main speakers so that at LF the left, sub and right sepaker are all pumping bass.

1. The overall loudness capability of the system is still limited by the maximum excursion capability of the main speaker's woofer - a 5" or 8" drive unit - even though the sub may be capable of far more power.

2. Small drive units (say, 5" or 8") have to work hard to reproduce bass: that's physics. A 12" sub driver is barely moving even when working hard and producing lots of bass. Why not give it the job of reproducing all the system's bass, hence reducing LF distortion and tightening-up the entire low end?

3. You can experiment with the location of the sub in your room for the best blended LF. You can't normally move the main speakers too far and if you have a particularly difficult room you just might find if all the bass is sent to the sub you can find a sweet spot - perhaps even behind you.

I'm not saying that subwoofers are needed or mandatory, but if you are considering one, why not give it the entire task it's optimised for?

Rabbit
06-08-2008, 08:38 AM
[...]Pink Floyd, The Beatles[...]

As I am preparing for eventual (soon?) acquisition of P3's or maybe Compact 7's, I must say that I can't wait to hear some of my favourite British rock music that was (possibly) mixed (at least in part) on BBC-type monitors through Harbeths.

Alan, do you know if Abbey Road studios have Harbeths or other BBC-type loudspeakers? (I know they had some big B&W speakers when I was there some years ago - sorry but not my cup of tea, B&W. Frightening to a small creature with sensitive ears like me.)

Regards,
Rabbit