PDA

View Full Version : Interested in SHL5 v. Thiel cs2.4?

Jmohd
20-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Hi all, I'm a newbie in this forum

I need your opinion on the SHL5(30th Annivesary Edition) againts the CS2.4

Currently I'm using Thiel CS2.4 wih Classe 301 poweramp, Classe CP60 preamp and cables from PS Audio.

Recently visited local agent for Harbeth and listen to the SHL5. I was suprise that using an entry level setup the music sounded fantastic!

Thanks

Gan CK
21-12-2007, 01:28 AM
Hi all, I'm a newbie in this forum

I need your opinion on the SHL5(30th Annivesary Edition) againts the CS2.4

Currently I'm using Thiel CS2.4 wih Classe 301 poweramp, Classe CP60 preamp and cables from PS Audio.

Recently visited local agent for Harbeth and listen to the SHL5. I was suprise that using an entry level setup the music sounded fantastic!

Thanks

Hi, i've heard the 2.4 at Sanjay's driven by Bel Canto amps. I'd say the Harbeth SHL-5 is richer, fuller, warmer & more musical than the 2.4. Vocals on Harbeth sounded more intimate & emotional. Thiels have a tendency to sound mechanical, lean & bright. And they are also harder to drive. While the SHL-5 sounds very good on modest electronics, they sound even better when you drive them with better electronics. My suggestion for you is to lug your amps down to Jimmy's & hear how they pair with the SHL-5s before you commit.

Btw, quite surprised that u posted here. I thought you've always been a big fan of Thiels. Anyway, i am (SHL-5) from echo. Welcome to the world to Harbeths.

Thanos
21-12-2007, 11:37 AM
Hi, quite simple: Thiels interprete. Harbeths reproduce. Christmas is coming... Go to a live concert... Then tell me again why Alan Shaw is right to what he does... I listen to early baroque, also almost medieval religious masterpieces, especially during this time of the year.. With SHL 5s of course... Sometimes I forget what kind or type/brand of speakers I have, I really mean it! I just dive into the music, the voices, flying away with them... Isn't this all about what Harbeths are made for?
Happy New Year from Greece!