PDA

View Full Version : Using the SEARCH facility

jaybar
09-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Hi

How can I search for 3 letter words?

I want to search for low level listening as in low volume levels. When I search for just level listening, I get references to the speakers being level or your ear being level with the tweeter etc. Not exactly what I had in mind.

Searchin on low, by itself, finds no records. Searching on low level, seems to eliminate the low and only gives references to level.

Am I doing anything wrong? If not, how can this be fixed?

Jay

A.S.
10-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Try again.

Go to the SEARCH page (between New Posts and Quick Links on the red bar at the top of the User Group pages).

Select Advanced Search ....enter your search. At the bottom of the entry page ....

>>> Select "Show Results as Posts"

>>> Tick the box "Also search in child forums".

jaybar
10-02-2008, 09:53 AM
Thanks Alan. I was not using the advanced option when I tried it. It worked now.

chirhonix
26-08-2014, 07:41 PM
Hi, Alan,

since some time the "Advanced Search" is missing on all my browsers. Could be reintroduced?

Regards,
Peter

Don Leman
26-08-2014, 10:10 PM
Hi, Alan,

since some time the "Advanced Search" is missing on all my browsers. Could be reintroduced?

Regards,
Peter

Yes I agree and would add the current default of "Activity Stream" doesn't work very well with my PC (Windows 7) and browser (IE 11). Most of the time the links to the new message don't do anything.

ccyork
26-08-2014, 11:18 PM
Yes I agree and would add the current default of "Activity Stream" doesn't work very well with my PC (Windows 7) and browser (IE 11). Most of the time the links to the new message don't do anything.

I'm having the same problem with Activity Stream. I'm using a Mac with Safari and Chrome. I wrote the board administrator a few days ago concerning this issue, but did not hear anything back.

chirhonix
27-08-2014, 10:22 AM
The links work if you very carefully "explore" their location. And then the first item often looks washed out.

ccyork
27-08-2014, 01:02 PM
Yes they do, but that is extremely cumbersome.

Gascho
27-08-2014, 03:03 PM
Same issue while browsing on my phone and Mac

{Moderator's comment: And those exact issues are what, please?}

chirhonix
27-08-2014, 06:56 PM
To the moderator:

the "advanced Search" button beneath the search input field is missing since weeks. I could use it to search for the latest (1 day) posts and see directly in which threads there was new info.

Now I have to use the "What's new?" function and that leads to a time sorted list of entries, not thread sorted. I'm not fond of it. Furthermore the links are very tiny and often it's difficult to hit them. It's the same on Firefox and Chrome on Linux and my Android phone. The 1st link looks often washed out.

chirhonix
27-08-2014, 07:04 PM
I looked into the page source and the entry is there:

<li><a href="search.php" accesskey="4">Advanced Search</a></li>

but it's not displayed in the browser.

Don Leman
27-08-2014, 08:03 PM
To the moderator:

the "advanced Search" button beneath the search input field is missing since weeks. I could use it to search for the latest (1 day) posts and see directly in which threads there was new info.

Now I have to use the "What's new?" function and that leads to a time sorted list of entries, not thread sorted. I'm not fond of it. Furthermore the links are very tiny and often it's difficult to hit them. It's the same on Firefox and Chrome on Linux and my Android phone. The 1st link looks often washed out.

I've found a bit of a work around for those using IE. While on the forum site, go up to the browser menu and click on tools, then select "Compatibility View Settings" then add harbeth.co.uk to the list. That adds the old menu where you can choose new posts and it gets displayed in the old format.

chirhonix
28-08-2014, 02:08 AM
Thank you Don Leman,
but on Linux I have no IE. In Firefox or Chrome I think there is no such option. Maybe in the last 2 to3 weeks there was a change on the site which made that difference that the option to klick the advance search buttom.

Nahtanoj
28-08-2014, 03:28 AM
I've had the exact same issues over the last couple of weeks: the "What's New" button gives you Activity Stream, instead of the list of threads with recent activity, which is much more user friendly (at least for me).

And "Advanced Search" is gone, so there's no way to reliably summon up the list of threads with recent activity.

EricW
28-08-2014, 04:07 PM
I've had the exact same issues over the last couple of weeks: the "What's New" button gives you Activity Stream, instead of the list of threads with recent activity, which is much more user friendly (at least for me).

And "Advanced Search" is gone, so there's no way to reliably summon up the list of threads with recent activity.

Same here. I much preferred the previous layout. The new one is finicky, and more difficult to search and to navigate.

chirhonix
31-08-2014, 02:23 PM
To the moderator or site administrator: any news on this topic? Will we getting the Advanced Search button back?

twan1
09-09-2014, 10:04 PM
To the moderator or site administrator: any news on this topic? Will we getting the Advanced Search button back?Any update? To be honest, the "new" activity stream overview plainly sucks. Where is the "unread messages" overview, that every forum board has had for eons?

{Moderator's comment: It may suck to you but we find it useful. You have not given credit to our webmaster for the hours he slaved to get the Activity stream working properly. I don't recall an unread messages overview and anyway, we're different here and don't follow other 'boards'.}

chirhonix
10-09-2014, 12:16 AM
To the moderator: it's your decision. But I too vote for the reenabling of the Advanced Search button. For me it's been very conveniant. I'm not denying the work of the webmaster. But I hope there is no really technical problem with getting the Advanced Search back. Please!

Let me explain: I used to use the Advanced Search for looking posts not older than one day and then I got a neat list of 3 -4 threads with the latest post. Some of them might be the announcement of the latest Newsletter. Which I would read first of course.

If I now use the What's new search I get a long list of all the latest posts. For e.g. if there are 3 very active discussions like the ones about Scotland and testing amplifiers there are maybe 20 - 30 posts and I would have to look at each down the list to find the latest I've read. So I would go to the next newest, read that thread and go back to list, scroll down and then again up to find the next unread post in the next thread and so on for maybe one or two other threads.

For me it's very clumsy. So if there are no great technical obstacles or other important things that let the Advanced Search vanish, please give it back to us.

twan1
10-09-2014, 10:16 AM
[QUOTE=twan1;30114]Any update? To be honest, the "new" activity stream overview plainly sucks. Where is the "unread messages" overview, that every forum board has had for eons?

Either way, to clarify; I'm talking about the option where you click "show me all unread messages since my last visit" and it shows you all the topics and you can jump to your latest unread reply (which is like most boards work). The current activity stream shows you all messages, with multiple replies for the same topic. That's in my opinion a more crowded overview. I don't see the point of doing things different from a user experience point of view.

If you really want to be "different", and you've chosen for the activity stream because you think it works better; fine, I'm not arguing against that.

ccyork
10-09-2014, 01:58 PM
The old view that we used to get when clicking on "What's New?" was much much much easier to use (for me) than the new activity stream. Could you please bring this old feature back? Is there a way to have the old feature and still maintain the activity stream so that everybody's needs are met?

ccyork
10-09-2014, 02:16 PM
The key functionality that the Activity Stream is missing is that it does not tell me what I have not already read. So now I have to read through every item in the Activity Stream, and hope that I can guess/remember what the last thing I read was. Then I have to read through all the items after that to see if they are related to threads that I'm following. It was much easier when there was a list of threads that were newly updated since the last time I visited the board. Simple, quick, and easy. Now it's just frustration. Thanks.

Nahtanoj
11-09-2014, 11:02 AM
The key functionality that the Activity Stream is missing is that it does not tell me what I have not already read. So now I have to read through every item in the Activity Stream, and hope that I can guess/remember what the last thing I read was. Then I have to read through all the items after that to see if they are related to threads that I'm following. It was much easier when there was a list of threads that were newly updated since the last time I visited the board. Simple, quick, and easy. Now it's just frustration. Thanks.

That is exactly the issue. I agree completely.

A.S.
11-09-2014, 11:57 AM
I have reported these issues to our web master.

Please be aware that we are obliged, from time to time, to implement security updates/patches/bug fixes into the forum on the recommendation of the coders (third party). Sometimes these updates have consequences which are unpredictable and may only effect the HUG forum. In this particular case, I can see that there is potential frustration, and let's hope we can recover these features and that they have not been deleted by the programmers. It will take a few days to schedule-in this work.

chirhonix
11-09-2014, 12:12 PM
Hi, Alan,

thank you for the answer and for considering a solution.

ccyork
11-09-2014, 12:24 PM
I have reported these issues to our web master.

Please be aware that we are obliged, from time to time, to implement security updates/patches/bug fixes into the forum on the recommendation of the coders (third party). Sometimes these updates have consequences which are unpredictable and may only effect the HUG forum. In this particular case, I can see that there is potential frustration, and let's hope we can recover these features and that they have not been deleted by the programmers. It will take a few days to schedule-in this work.

Thank you, sir!

dogdog
11-09-2014, 01:45 PM
+1
For I'm experiencing exactly the same frustration.