PDA

View Full Version : What is the best Harbeth, Alan?

zhangyu.H
04-07-2008, 02:16 AM
Dear Alan'

How do you do! There's some problem confusing me for a long time, that is which series of Harbeth is the traditional Harbeth's Sound?

Which can represent the highest technique of Harbeth? Which one do you appreciate best among P3,C7,SHL5,M20,M30,M40?

At my point of view: HL series (including SHL 5 & C7) is more closer to the original Harbeth sound, and M series is major series in Harbeth products group, and it contain the distillation of Harbeth, it is the soul of Harbeth?

I'm begging your answer.

Sincerely

Zhangyu

A.S.
04-07-2008, 10:03 AM
Dear Lao Zhangyu,

Welcome to the Harbeth User Group.

There is no truthful answer to your questions "which is the traditional Harbeth's sound" and "which is the highest technique of Harbeth". All current Harbeth speakers were designed by me, and from the P3 to the M40.1 covers about 20 years of my learning and knowledge of designing.

I would say all have a common philosophy, all have a common sound balance and are offered in the same price area (for their size) as you would expect. As to which is my favourite, we'll I can not even answer that question accurately: it doesn't matter what my favourite is, it only matters which model is your favourite.

If you ask a father 'who is your favourite child' what can he say?!

Hu
04-07-2008, 10:48 AM
As far as I know, Alan's favorite are P3ES-2s, I am sure I am right.

A.S.
04-07-2008, 11:05 AM
So our smallest speaker is my favourite? Ummmm. Perhaps I shouldn't have invested two man years in the design of the M40.1!

I truly don't have a favourite amongst all my children. Each is unique in some way.

Hu
04-07-2008, 12:05 PM
You see, such small and cute babies, but so brave and capable, one old audiophile bought much bigger speakers but could not leave P3ES-2, so, should not they become your favorite?

A.S.
04-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Those cute eyes, happy smile, perfect size ..... how can I resist the P3?

Hu
05-07-2008, 07:09 AM
Haha, so they are your favorite youngest sons. admit!

A.S.
05-07-2008, 11:05 AM
No! I admit nothing!

Do remember though, that wonderful though they are, they are not fitted with a RADIAL woofer. Surely it's logical that having invested some 15 years in our RADIAL technology that ....

Hu
05-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Of course M40s are the best Harbeths, but I cannot afford and no good room for them, probably one day I could get one pai of second hand from Alan!

zhangyu.H
19-08-2008, 08:10 AM
Alan
Hi,to myself,M series is too good to dispute,i've been enjoying M30 for one & a half years,believe that i'll never change it(except M40).o(∩_∩)o...