PDA

View Full Version : Distance between pre and power amp?

Stephen PG
01-04-2009, 10:39 AM
My hi-fi and speakers are at opposite ends of the room, so I need 10mts to reach the farthest speaker.

Is there any advantage in using a long interconnect between my pre and power amp to keep speaker cables short?

My Arcam pre has both buffered and direct phono outputs for the amp.

Vlado
01-04-2009, 07:29 PM
My hi-fi and speakers are at opposite ends of the room, so I need 10mts to reach the farthest speaker. Is there any advantage in using a long interconnect between my pre and power amp to keep speaker cables short? My Arcam pre has both buffered and direct phono outputs for the amp.

Hello Stephen,
it is not recommendable at all to use such long runs of unbalanced interconnect cables.
Go for long speaker cables. I'm using Van Damme blue series studio grade speaker cables, so I think, due the high quality and very acceptable price (1,85 ? for 2x2,5 mm2 and 3,23 ? or 2x4mm2) you can give them a chance.

http://www.vdctrading.com/products.asp?SubSectionID=1&Page=2#p15

Kindly

macraddy
01-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Hello Stephen,

I agree with Vlado, general acceptance is long speaker cables or balanced interconnect between pre and power amp...

Good luck!

Stephen PG
04-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'll leave it as is.

A.S.
18-04-2009, 07:22 PM
I think that I'd prefer to extend the speaker cables rather than the interconnects unless the interconnects are balanced and/or the output impedance of the preamp is low - say under 1kohm - otherwise the capacitance of the screened lead from pre to power amp will inevitably roll off the extreme top, depending on the length and construction of the screened cable.

If the power amp input is fed from a balanced source using balanced cable, there is no need for that cable to be screened: it can't do any harm if it is screened but it's not mandatory and never has been in professional studios.

ruzhyo
20-04-2009, 05:37 AM
My hi-fi and speakers are at opposite ends of the room, so I need 10mts to reach the farthest speaker.

Is there any advantage in using a long interconnect between my pre and power amp to keep speaker cables short?

My Arcam pre has both buffered and direct phono outputs for the amp.

I also the same set up as in the speaker and amp are on the opposite sides of the room and I am using 7m run of speaker cables.

I am using the QED 79 to good effect. It is much cheaper to have 7m per side of QED 79 then to have long interconnects!

Jimchc
28-05-2009, 03:42 PM
I personally can hear much more of a change in longer speaker cables than interconnects. 30 feet of speaker cable is going to have some resistance. When you look at say 0.1 ohms resistance for a great cable it might not sound bad but that is in referrence to a 6 ohm resistance of a speaker. Looking at most power amps the resistance is in the neighborhood of 47000 ohms and carries much less current which both are going to affect the signal to lesser degree. Sorry to say but I really can't hear any difference between my different interconnect cables long or short runs, or different brands. My main speakers in my most used listening room are electrostatics and they dip into low resistances and this might not be such a large factor with the Harbeth's which are in a smaller room and all my runs are quite short.