PDA

View Full Version : From Compact 7 es3 to the stars!!!

quique
02-08-2009, 02:24 PM
I bough a few days ago the Compact 7 es3 and I'm very happy. But, because I'm always looking for the best, so I ask you what should be the next step, within the Harbet world, for reaching something better?? The final choise can be only the Monitor 40.1??
Thanks a lot, Gianfranco.

coredump
02-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Good buy! how about the Super HL5 first..

quique
02-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Hl5 could be a good idea but however this step would be a big upgrade respect the Compact 7? In order to reach the upgrade I'm looking for, are the HL5 sufficient or step to the Monitor 40.1 is necessary. I'm asking for it because I read that the HL5 is not so superior to the Cpmpact 7. Thank again. Gianfranco.

A.S.
02-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Please, be patient. I invested a lifetime of hard-won knowledge in designing the HL Compact 7ES3. You cannot appreciate the subtlety of the C7ES3 in just a few days. You need a year of two of careful listening before you can begin to really get under the skin of the C7ES3. Please be respectful of the wonderful tool you have bought and get on with revealing new magic hidden in your recordings. Put this upgrade desire behind you! The C7ES3 constantly surprises me: and I designed it.

Listeners gravitate to Harbeth for the very reason that it puts a complete stop to their upgrade mania!. Be happy! We don't want any more money from you!

quique
02-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Please, be patient. I invested a lifetime of hard-won knowledge in designing the HL Compact 7ES3. You cannot appreciate the subtlety of the C7ES3 in just a few days. You need a year of two of careful listening before you can begin to really get under the skin of the C7ES3. Please be respectful of the wonderful tool you have bought and get on with revealing new magic hidden in your recordings. Put this upgrade desire behind you! The C7ES3 constantly surprises me: and I designed it.

Listeners gravitate to Harbeth for the very reason that it puts a complete stop to their upgrade mania!. Be happy! We don't want any more money from you!

Thank you so much for your reply. You are completely right. Before I appreciate you as designer and now I also appreciate you for you intellectual integrity. I like dreaming but the Compact 7 is just a loudspeaker for dreaming. Thank again.
Gianfranco.

tozen
04-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Hi Gianfranco, I think you will find that the sins of the 7es3 are sins of omission, not sins of commission. The more I listen to my SHL5 the more satisfied I am with the music I listen to. I assume that is an indication of the integrity of the design and the wonderful cohesion from top to bottom. I am sure that if you put the 7es3 and 40.1 side-by-side then you would notice a power to the bass and a purity to the highs that surpasses the 7es3. So avoid the side-by-side comparison and you will never be disappointed! One thing I have noticed with most manufacturers is that they position models in their product range in such a way as to make it clear that you only really enjoy all the tricks that the brand has to offer further up the line. I think Harbeth is a bit different and I would only ever replace my SHL5s with 40.1s if both my living room got much bigger and I got much wealthier.....

keithwwk
05-08-2009, 02:22 AM
I can not recall where I read, an article said please give your harbeth some respect, sit down, listen, do not AB switching with other speakers, listen and then listen long again, Harbeth will reward you, invite you to core of musicality and long term satisfaction.

tozen said it right, when I enjoy my c7, I do not miss my SHL5, and when I listen to SHL5, I do not miss my c7.

I wish my c7 can stay with me as long as posible, And also hope Alan got enough spare part, particularly, the Radial driver, for my SHL5 30th Ann OFC to stay with me all life long!

Ferdinand777
06-09-2009, 10:26 AM
The C7 and the SHL5 are both great speakers. I can live with either speakers.
For me, if one has a smaller space, the C7s are great, if room is bigger, the SHL5s are the way to go, but it doesnt mean the C7s wont work in a big room. They also do!!

tein3
06-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Me too, I have my C7 ES3 reaching me in my listening room on 29th August, and I have been very very happy with it. As for me, there is no more next step for me on my speakers for the next year or 2, or maybe even longer. The 7's (in my own preference and opinion) is just so right. I have heard the 5's too, and that will be the most that I will upgrade to... but I do not see any need with the 7's around. I have also heard the 40.1, they are great speakers, but it sounded "too big" for my liking. (just my preference and opinion)

The 7's, It is right for my room size and it sound so right.... With guitars, piano and vocal to be my only and best guide to what sounds closest to the real instrument... all sounds right. It has the punch when it is needed... but yet gentle. And the instrument "size" sounded right to me too.

I am now... a happy, contented Harbeth owner :)

dench
16-04-2013, 04:05 AM

Hi Alan,
I would definitely keep this in mind when I receive my first Harbeths (the C7ES3) some days from now. I'm looking forward to spending a lifetime of company with your invention. Then pass it along to my children and their children to come.

hendrik
16-04-2013, 10:22 AM
In reply to what Alan said... I am very happy with my new c7es2 ( 2!) , I bought this one new for half the bucks and it was several years in storage.

It's quality's still stand along in comparison to the m30.1 which is a better speaker but I decided to go for the c7es2, of course the money and .. simply because it would give me no lesser fun and enjoyment .

I have lived many years with the proac 1sc but I now know how an orchestra sounds in my room.