PDA

View Full Version : Which model is perfect for me?

moqadam
03-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Hello Everyone,

I joined here recently because I would like to exchange some thoughts about choosing speaker and its installation, so I hope someone here can assist me.

I have Magnepan MG-20 speakers from 1998 until now, and they sound superb in some way, the good things they fill the room completely (no need 5.1 channels), fantastic resolution and natural sound, but too big for my bedroom, and im getting strong HF (strain!). If im not mistaking; the planner relay (some degree) on background reflection, sometimes I noticed the sound im getting a bit smear or generated upon back wall reflection (Bose 901?). Also I have large glass window behind one speaker and that channel always sounded weak. I always hear-good things about Harbeth but never have a chance listen to them, so I would like to know what the difference I will get and can produce good bass and resolution as MG-20?

And what the perfect model for bedroom size and gear I have?

My bedroom size:
In feet : 23L, 11.5W, 8.5H.
In meter : 7L, 3.5W, 2.6H.

My systems:
Two Krell amps: full power balance 200 watt, and KAV-500 each channel 100 watt.
Pro-ject 9.1 turntables, Tascam tape cassette, Arcam DVD player and FMJ Tuner, VHS, Krell: KPS 20 IL CD player.
Interconnect and speaker cable: Transparent.

Music listening: Film score (star wars) and Orchestral mostly, pop music, and movies.

Sound type I really like is: warm, very analog, emotional, natural both: resolution and smoothness.

Anyone care to answer.

Many thanks to all for help.

Sincerely.

honmanm
03-12-2009, 10:25 PM
IMHO... Maggies give you the illusion of being there, Harbeths tell you what was going on in the recording studio.

Maggies need some power before they sing, so can be overpowering in a small room. The small Harbeth's don't have that big sound, but will do just fine in your room (similar size to our living room).

A few months ago I had an enforced transition from SMGas (which I've used since 1988) to borrowed P3s thanks due to a small-person induced accident. The Harbeths were a pleasant surprise as, on the right kind of stand (not necessarily expensive), they are free of boxy colourations. They are to some extent omnidirectional radiators so positioning rules do matter.

I still love panels but living where we do now, a speaker designed for smaller spaces is more appropriate. In an ideal world I'd have both.

KT88
03-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Hello, Mogadam

As a fellow Magneplanar owner, I feel like I can shed some light on this. I have a pair of MG III A's, which I believe use the same ribbon tweeters as your MG 20's. With that in mind, I think you'd be spoiled for anything but the Monitor 30's (which I also own) or Monitor 40's in the Harbeth line-you're going to want that Excel tweeter!

Given the type of music you listen to, you'll probably want to go with the Monitor 40 for the sheer "size" of sound and the bass response that you're used to with the MG 20's. The Monitor 30's might work in a room your size, but you will likely notice the missing bass. That extra octave of bass is expensive though-5K for Monitor 30's vs. 13K for Monitor 40's.

You should probably listen to the SHL5's (also 5K) as well. They'll get you most of the bass, but the highs will not be in the same league as the MG 20 ribbons. In my room it's about a toss up between the MG III A ribbons and the Excel tweeters in the Monitor 30's.

Good Hunting, I hope this is helpful.

Bob LaBarca
State College, PA
USA

keithwwk
04-12-2009, 12:12 AM
IMHO... Maggies give you the illusion of being there, Harbeths tell you what was going on in the recording studio.

I gues you were saying M series abt this. IMHO, HL series do not. M is analyse the music, HL is playing the music. Personal perspective vary, I just try to share another thought.

Cheers~

moqadam
04-12-2009, 02:55 AM
Thank you all for wonderful information, im happy to share some good thoughts and experience with you all.

I can imagine getting same sound as MG-20 from small size speaker is probably impossible, but getting close enough is enough I think. What really matter that I can hear all frequencies correctly with my room size. Like I said earlier, MG-20 has almost perfect sound, as a matter of fact I never heard warm or perfect HF like it ever, but I think im unable to hear all frequencies correctly because need a bigger room and clear back/side-wall, which I don?t have.

From what I understand here, the HL5 have better bass than M30, but M30 yield better HF? And is M30 having very weak bass comparing to other speakers? For example how the bass will sound with Come Together for Beatles?

KT88
04-12-2009, 04:08 AM
Hello again, moqadam

Actually, the Monitor 30 has deceptively good bass response, just not as deep as MG 20 or Monitor 40. The 30's have bass response into the 30 hz range, but it's extremely rolled off. You sense the bass, but you don't feel it. When I listen to the Monitor 30's I know that the bottom octave isn't there, but I don't miss it, if you understand my meaning. I would never characterize the 30's bass as "weak".

Hopefully, you can get your hands on each Harbeth model and try it in your new listening space before you buy. Perhaps that's not possible, but it would certainly be the way to go.

You really can't go wrong with these speakers!

Bob

keithwwk
04-12-2009, 05:46 AM
Hi moqadam,

IMO, the high presentation of shl5 and M30 is difference. Shl5 high is more obvious than m30 but both high are extended, relax and airly. It direct comparison, comments can be either Shl5 is right and the m30 is dark/no sparkle or the m30 is right and the shl5 is bright/hot. Depend on which type of the high listener prefer...Neither one bass is better than each other, due to the bigger box of SHL5, its bass quantity is more than M30. Both give quality bass that can let listener sense, hear and feel, shl5 do let you feel and hear more bass in some musics. Overall, the shl5 is looser, livelier and the M30 is tighter, more serious.

For your room size, do not forget the equally excellence, but cheaper, the C7ES3. Some prefer it than shl5 and m30.

Cheers~

John Geisen
04-12-2009, 05:56 AM
I definitely vote for the M30's. I think you would find all it's attributes perfect.

John

Gan CK
04-12-2009, 06:07 AM
Yes i do agree with KT88 that you've got to try to listen to each & every model in the Harbeth stable to determine which rocks your boat. And as usual, every Harbeth is handcrafted to very high standards in terms of technical, physical & musical aspects. Its very difficult not to get enticed, seduced, involved & be totally consumed by the music with Harbeths.

moqadam
04-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Thank you very much to all for wonderful insight.

Unfortunately, we don’t have dealer close to our area, that’s why I have to make blind purchase, but I get perfect picture regarding the bass in M30, and should be fine with me.

I can see most serious listeners vote for M30, I don’t want to be too critical about small details, but for the sake of knowledge; some times I feel 2-way design is exactly what been said about M30! In other word sounded simpler and better?

I haven’t listen to any 2-way since 1984 and these comments from the past, but since then I always listen to 3-way just because the dealers always recommend them, but I never make good comparison to be sure. To me the 3-ways have fine details and great depth, but sounded thinner, make instruments bit far and slow dynamic, seems the signal chewed a bit by 3-way crossover? While the 2-ways and with large instruments recording (orchestral or band), seems the instruments struggle between each other, and less depth, but still yield attractive sound; faster, more natural, very touchy and emotional.

Am right with these comments? Would that be the case with Harbeth between M30 and HL5?

keithwwk
04-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Hi again mogadam,

There are many serious listeners in HUG here or in other location worldwide vote for either SHL5, C7, P3 or M40.1 or have more than 1 pair of Harbeth as well. :). So that really can not tell you which Harbeth is better but tell you Harbeth is really one of the best :P

I am not sure for other brand 3 way design. What you said abt the 3 way signature or character is definitely not happen on the SHL5..Is a 3 way design involve a bass, a mid and a high driver? Shl5 still using RADIAL as its mid/bass driver....I never known shl5 is a 3 ways speakers..I wonder if I am wrong now..

Cheers~

hifi_dave
04-12-2009, 03:30 PM
I believe that with a small speaker you will miss the scale, weight and warmth of your Maggies, so my recommendation would be for the SHL5 or the M40.1 if your budget is up to it.

Excellent though the smaller speakers are, they don't have the body and prescence of the SHL5 and certainly nothing like the M40.1, both of which should sound wonderful in your room.

A.S.
04-12-2009, 04:45 PM
As I said here (http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/showthread.php?p=6818#post6818) today, you just cannot fail to enjoy the C7ES3. A truly universal speaker for all rooms, all music. It's good value for money too.

moqadam
05-12-2009, 12:03 AM
Hi Keithwwk,

I said 3-way upon reading the spec ?3-way reflex?. I looked again now and appeared to me the Bass and mid are not separated but in one 200mm! You are correct. Thank you very much anyway brining this up.

Sincerely

moqadam
05-12-2009, 12:15 AM
Hello Alan,

Im glad I see your input on this issue and quite helpful, and thank you all.

I would think from great comments here that whichever model I go should perform great, but just for beforehand preparation, I understand Harbeth need at least far from back/side wall about 2-3 feet, now since my place have other furniture, how the sound would be if I place speakers very close to the wall (less than 1 feet), and in the corner?

Do the absorbent solve the sound problem perfectly!

Vlado
05-12-2009, 07:24 AM
....how the sound would be if I place speakers very close to the wall (less than 1 feet), and in the corner?

Hi Moqadam,
I have the C7ES3 placed just under 1 feet from the front wall and the sound is OK, but placing a speaker in the corner would create problems, which can't be solved with absorbers.

A.S.
05-12-2009, 05:29 PM
...but placing a speaker in the corner would create problems, which can't be solved with absorbers.The 'corner issue' has nothing whatever to do with the speaker, but the physics of (any) sound source trapped in a corner.

The reason that absorbers in the corner are of limited benefit is because, almost by definition, if the speaker is (tight) into the corner there is not much space behind it and the walls. Hence, by deduction, any absorber placed behind and around the speaker in the corner must be thin; and thin absorbers are useless at lower and middle frequencies. If absorbers were really effective in those frequency band then the 'speakers in corners issue' could indeed by solved by local absorption.

The efficiency of any sonically absorptive surface is expressed as its absorptive coefficient. At 1.0 there would be total absorption at the frequency of test; at 0 there would be total reflection and no absorption at all. I guess that most readily available materials have an absorption coefficient of about 0.25 i.e.they are three times more reflective than absorptive. But remember; the absorptive coefficient is highly frequency dependent which means that a good material for absorbing the high frequencies may be completely useless for low frequencies - this is the usual situation.

Be highly suspicious of ready-made general purpose 'room tuning' absorbers. Check the absorption coefficients carefully and if no graphs are supplied - forget them.

musicquest
07-12-2009, 12:57 AM
Hi moqadam,
I have my 7.2's 18" off the wall, and they sing. I've had them farther out, but that's where they like it best. All rooms are different. You should be fine.
If you're heading for the corners, I'd think heavy toe-ing would be in order.

moqadam
12-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Thank you Alan for helpful information, and thank you all.

I asked this because room acoustic treatment is bit confusion particularly with Magnepan I have, so I want to know how with Harbeth. Heavy absorbent with Magnepan sounded very weak, but with little and careful installation become better, as the MG-20 need wall reflection. Sadly the manual didn?t explain very clearly about that, but did mention to be careful when using absorbents. I would assume that the woofer type gives better advantage than panels because relay on front woofer for sound production?

From nice posts here I understand Harbeth not too complex about that, so should be ok.

Thanks very much to all.

Cheers.

moqadam
12-04-2010, 01:57 AM
Hello Again to everyone and best wish to Mr. Alan. :)

For the models C7, SHL5, and M30, which one of them having more: warm and bass in the same time, natural and soft high frequency, liquid, respcful, layed back, less fatigue, less harshness, and high resolution. Like old Electro Voice speakers from 70s if any one experience it.

Sorry for late reply, I was planning to go for SHL5 but someone lately recommends M30 for what im looking for. I understand M30 probably close but I play orchestra work mostly! And I heard its good for small work only. Can anyone confirm please?

Many thanks.

Gan CK
12-04-2010, 03:43 AM
Hello Again to everyone and best wish to Mr. Alan. :)

For the models C7, SHL5, and M30, which one of them having more: warm and bass in the same time, natural and soft high frequency, liquid, respcful, layed back, less fatigue, less harshness, and high resolution. Like old Electro Voice speakers from 70s if any one experience it.

Sorry for late reply, I was planning to go for SHL5 but someone lately recommends M30 for what im looking for. I understand M30 probably close but I play orchestra work mostly! And I heard its good for small work only. Can anyone confirm please?

Many thanks.

Hi Moqadam, every Harbeth excels on playing classical/orchestral music & you'll be hard pressed to find another speaker that can better it. The bigger Harbeths are better able to handle dynamics & have better scale. In your case, have a listen to both the SHL-5 & M30. Frankly, i believe that the M30 should be able to handle a full symphony orchestra if they are well driven. I currently drive my SHL-5 with a 60 watt LFD LE III & it has no problem handling large orchestral works, even at slightly elevated levels. Of course, if you have a large listening room, then i reckon a M40.1 should be absolutely perfect for playing large orchestral works, even at high levels.

kittykat
12-04-2010, 04:20 AM
Greetings Moqadam

Personally, I feel if you are looking for a particular type of sound. eg. tone of 70’s EV’s, its probably best to seek out the actual speaker itself, rather than buy a brand of speakers hoping that it would sound closest to it.

i do read, for example, reviewers writing of solid state amplifiers which sound like tube amplifiers but its rather odd. I’d just buy a tube amplifier in the first place if I wanted that type of sound. On the other hand, there are tube amplifiers which are engineered to such an extreme extent (at a high cost) that they start to measure like a solid state. I’d rather just keep things simple.

But back to your question, Im reading the descriptions you would like in a speaker, and I can tell you, with a hand on my heart, that the pair of SHL5’s in my living room do all that and much more. I didn’t have the luxury of comparing (not that I really cared that much) as Harbeth’s are not represented in the country I live. I took a gamble and ordered one anyway and haven’t regretted since.

moqadam
12-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Gang CK, and Kittykat thank you very much for your inputs.

I have Krell KAV-500, 100 pc and I believe its very strong amp and very dynamic too. I don’t think I can go for M40 because of my budget right now. Sadly there is no three-way like M40 in price between SHL5 and M40 so I can go for it.

Kittykat, I wish I could find same EV but I hear it in theaters only in 70 to late 80s and I belive their lines is changed right now and their products not for home use. Nor I think other brands make sound like the old days exept perhapse Harbeth and few.

The thing im going to build 5 surrounds speaker for music and movies, and I want the same music sound quality with movies as well, because I like none fatique and very warm in favor to bass. And I want same models for all 5 channels for perfect synergy surrounds. So I want to know from beginning to settle on certain model because I don’t like mixed models so they give different soundfield.

From reading some reveiws I felt M30 is the most sweet and natural and better HF and flater than SHL5 but I learned its forward and only good for small work, but is it warm with more bass or not that I don’t know! C7 have better soundstage than SHL5 but the upper is dry, but I want liquid sound. SHL5 seems fair choice but is it warm with much bass?

honmanm
12-04-2010, 05:20 PM
While I must plead total ignorance of 5 channel systems, the X-factor studio setup (see the news page and newsletters on the main site) sounds like something worth emulating. After all a studio should have the will, expertise, and funds to get it right.

“I'm really pleased that the new series will be mixed, balanced and transmitted on a pair of the awesome Harbeth Monitor 40.1s from the sound gallery, with a Monitor 30 for the centre channel and a pair of Monitor 20s at the rear”, says Harbeth’s MD and designer Alan Shaw. “Next door, in the vision gallery where the Director switches between the cameras to select the picture we see,, he is listening on Harbeth’s smaller Monitor 30s.”

Engineers in charge of the sound quality of XFactor wanted monitor speakers that were in the BBC sound tradition, that is, warm, with good stereo imaging and totally fatigue free.

If that's the sort of setup you would like to work towards, the neat thing is that you could start with a pair of any of the 3 types of speakers used.

kittykat
13-04-2010, 12:26 AM
...I wish I could find same EV but I hear it in theaters only in 70 to late 80s and I belive their lines is changed right now and their products not for home use. Nor I think other brands make sound like the old days exept perhapse Harbeth and few....
... because I like none fatique and very warm in favor to bass...
....SHL5 seems fair choice but is it warm with much bass?

Hi Moqadam

i might be wrong but i may have a feel of the type of sound you're after. i do indeed find that old classic sound fascinating. Was thinking hard overnight and the closest new onesare possibly Klipschorns (the classic line) which if they haven’t altered the voice significantly, might still have that old theatre type sound you’re after. Im not sure how much they cost now and how they compare against Harbeths dollar wise.

SHL’5 are definitely no fatigue,. period. I can leave it on all day, pot around the place and yet hear all detail of an artiste to keep me engaged. It does have more “warmth” as opposed to cold, steely, hard fast exciting sound if that’s what you mean. Was listening to Corinne Rae Baileys first album before coming in this morning, and definitely it sounds sweet and smooth. Just beautiful (except for the track where they put in fake record clicks and pops, why do people do this?)

To comment on bass, based on some Michael Jackson tracks (Imho, there are very few recordings which have as much bass guitar and kick drums at a decent quality), its definitely clean, tuneful and tight, perhaps not as tight as some others ive heard, but more importantly balanced to the extent that it doesn’t take your attention from other far more important things – the great MJ himself.

But like what honmanm has suggested if your path is towards 5.1, you can’t go wrong either way. That would be my dream system. M40.1’s front and back, maybe M30 as centre, with a bank of Brystons and their new AV preamp. Ok dreaming now. Getting back to work….

keithwwk
13-04-2010, 03:56 AM
Hi moqadam,

None of the Harbeths sound dry. I am sorry but I still need to say it, either M30, SHL5 or C7 you pair with your Krell, the end result (you may not notice it initially due to the "new impression" whenever listen to new sound), the overall sonic presentation still tend to dry. Do not fault the Harbeth, that is the natural character of the Krell.

Back to your subject...I am 90% to 95%I classical music listener (from solo to large scale Mahler). I am old C7 and SHL5 onwer. The bass of SHL5 is world class stand, to my ear, which play detail bass with great layer and live-like pitch definition. Tunefull, puchy and colorfull. Play double bass or cello sound just as real as live concert. I think 5 give the most "light/illuminaire from within" effect which sound extremely lively and enjoyable. Very good choice for solo to large scale orchestra music.

Most non-harbeth users comments harbeth sound "warm" is not without reason. Compared to most of the speakers, Harbeth sound is more colorful because it let more natural color (or timbre) of voices or instruments pass thru while other speakers maskup the natural color with their own character and some ppl said that is "uncolored".

hifi_dave
13-04-2010, 10:02 AM
More and more speakers nowadays are becoming hard, bright and spiteful. Compared to these, Harbeths are on the 'warm' side but never dull or fat. I can hear more detail, information and 'air' with any of the range than I do with most other speakers. Harbeth mid and top is more like a good ESL than moving coil designs.

I have had several customers who have been on a search for speakers they can relax and listen to for long periods without fatigue. Sometimes they have a far bigger budget than they need for a Harbeth but when they sit down and start to smile you know they've found their ideal speaker.

moqadam
13-04-2010, 05:50 PM
HiFi_Dave, That’s exaclty my point, modern speakers are much different than before, they may have better definitions but not warm and they don’t sound special to me. that’s why im very coutious at the moment.

KittyKat, thank you for Klipsh recommendation, but im here because I want Harbeth, im sure there is models im interested. Im aware that SHL5 have huge soundstage but probably not the most point im looking for.

However, let me ask, which of the models M30 or SHL5 that vocals accompany with bass more I mean the sound goes mostly to lower register?

garmtz
13-04-2010, 06:33 PM
I find the M30 to be a bit more DARK sounding (but not without loss of resolution!) than the SHL5, but the SHL5 has DEEPER bass. Depends what you mean with 'goes mostly to lower register'. The M30 is also the most homogenic sounding model in my ears.

hifi_dave
13-04-2010, 07:07 PM
The SHL5-3 definitely has better and deeper bass than the M30 and a larger sound stage.

keithwwk
14-04-2010, 02:27 AM
I find the M30 to be a bit more DARK sounding (but not without loss of resolution!) than the SHL5, but the SHL5 has DEEPER bass. Depends what you mean with 'goes mostly to lower register'. The M30 is also the most homogenic sounding model in my ears.

This was what I feel too when I listened M30 and Shl 5 side by side. SHL5 give the "light from within" effect which is very lively and enjoyable. If need more bass from Harbeth, either SHL5 or M40.1.

oh need to add too, to my ear, M30 sound a little bit tighter too compared to SHL5. I hope one day I can own M30 as well.

moqadam
14-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Thanks folks for wonderful description. When I said, “sound goes to lower register” I meant the warm sound accompany by bass, like the vocals are warm because rich in bass. Unlike tube, which is warm but not with rich bass.

By the way why the price for both are the same? but I feel the SHL5 should be higher because have three drivers while M30 has two and smaller cabinet, any reason?

Also is there anniversary M30 at the moment and what’s the different from M30?

Im now about to purchase in online I want to make final decision.

hifi_dave
14-04-2010, 07:48 PM
IMO, the SHL5-3 is a real bargain, you get an awful lot of speaker for the money and I can't think of another speaker at the price which even begins to compare.

On my trade price list there is no M30 'Anniversary' so, I guess, it has ceased production.

honmanm
14-04-2010, 08:01 PM
I feel the SHL5 should be higher because have three drivers while M30 has two and smaller cabinet, any reason?

Guessing... the tweeter used in the M30s (and IIRC M40s) is exceptionally accurate - remember M30 is essentially a "pro" design - so it probably costs as much as the tweeter + super-tweeter of the SHL5. Give the cost of labour in the UK & standard of workmanship on the cabinets the materials in the cabinets might not be a significant cost component. So for the same money there are two choices that have different strengths and weaknesses. Post #4 by keithwk probably sums it up. Happy choosing...

moqadam
15-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Thank to everybody, i orderd pairs for SHL5.

Thanks again. :)

Gan CK
15-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Thank to everybody, i orderd pairs for SHL5.

Thanks again. :)

Good choice. I am sure you won't be disappointed. :)

moqadam
15-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Thanks Gan CK very much, i really hope so. This is first time i order speakers i never listen but i have high faith. However, i was searching for veneers how they look but couldnt find.

keithwwk
16-04-2010, 01:22 AM
You will nvr regret to get the 5.

Btw, what veneers you are looking for? I may help to surf from net or try to see if I got the veneers in my Harbeth photos collection... :)

moqadam
16-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Thank you Heithwwk for your concern. Forgive me I should mention it better, I mean pic samples for all veneers that SHL5 can have including others which comes by special order.

keithwwk
18-04-2010, 11:03 AM
You can surf thru here to see owner photos in HUG here:
http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/showthread.php?338-Photos-of-your-beloved-Harbeth-Speakers-amp-Setup

So far, this is what I found in the net:

Rosenut:
http://my-hiend.com/leoyeh/200705/IMG_2120t.jpg

Chery
http://www.highendaudio.fr/wp-content/gallery/harbeth-super-hl5/03-superhl5-velika-01.jpg

Eucalyptus
http://www.cherubini.com/open2b/var/catalog/b/5912.jpg

Tiger Ebony
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/leben2/harbeth1.jpg

I couldnt find any good image of rosewood SHL5. Only a photo that showed Cherry M30, Eucalyptu C7 and Rosewood SHL5 in a small hall:
http://www.amforamusik.dk/web1/web1_userFiles/Image/Harbeth-hl5-M30-c7_copy-300.jpg

A big rosewood of M40.1 is available....so you can imaging how the Rosewood SHL5 look like. :)
http://www.gz008.cn/uploads/090715/1_141035_1.jpg

A.S.
18-04-2010, 05:14 PM
I have this archive picture of an SHL5 un rosewood. We must arrange to update all the veneer pictures but thanks for trawling through for the links.

Note: real wood has very considerable variation in grain and colour. This one if about typical of Harbeth rosewood but please understand that yours may be a little or a lot different. Whatever the exact details of the figuring it will be beautiful - that I can assure you. We hesitate to show pictures of veneers because we don't want to be held to an exact formulae and we ourselves encourage a variation between pairs as it cheers up production staff! The colour range for our rosewood is from brown-ish to rather more red - all equally attractive and of course sold as pairs. The pix is towards the brown end of the scale.

About the pricing of M30 and SHL5. This has been an anomaly that's lasted for many years due to a misunderstanding and sealed in stone. Yes, the SHL5 is somewhat under-priced so beware!

Hagto
18-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Nice picture of HL5 in rosewood on this page in my norwegian Harbeththread:
http://www.hifisentralen.no/forum/index.php?topic=29989.360

moqadam
18-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Thank you very much Keithwwk for the pictures. And thank you very much Alan for your inputs.

Please can anybody identify this color in this link for SHL-5:
http://www.fairaudio.de/test/lautsprecher/2009/harbeth-super-hl5-test-1.html

Look fantastic isn’t?

EricW
18-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Please can anybody identify this color in this link for SHL-5:
http://www.fairaudio.de/test/lautsprecher/2009/harbeth-super-hl5-test-1.html

Look fantastic isn’t?

According to the German text in the left column, it's rosewood. That's what I would have guessed from the colour, which looks to me both darker and redder than the standard cherry.

And yes, it looks fantastic.

A.S.
19-04-2010, 02:20 AM
According to the German text in the left column, it's rosewood...Maybe but the entire picture has a yellow colour cast. For example, note that the normally glossy black bass unit cone has a definite yellow reflective patch. I'll download some software to rework the image and post a colour corrected image later.

My posting a few messages back or the link from our Norwegian friends are more accurate colour renditions of a rosewood SHL5.

Alan/ Hong Kong

keithwwk
19-04-2010, 03:09 AM
Yes...the Norway rosewood is closest to what I seen on rosewood P3ER. Look and feel solid.

A.S.
19-04-2010, 04:05 AM
Amazing isn't it. I've downloaded a couple of small, free photo editors and compared to Photoshop (which I've used for about fifteen years) they are so incredibly difficult to use. So, I'm downloading PS now and can remove this colour cast in seconds with familiar tools.

I suppose we all get used to different software tools. I've personally designed all the product and carton labels over the years and my very favourite, intuitive, easy to drive graphics software is CorelDraw (a vector art program) which I know inside out. I've also designed all the product logos; in the case of the P3ESR I bought the typeface, exploded it as vectors and then modified its shape and proportions (in CorelDraw) to be completely unique to us. This graphic design at the end of the audio design path is one of the most fun parts of the design process as it seals the personality of the product as mine.

The PS download will take another hour or so.

Alan /Hong Kong

A.S.
19-04-2010, 06:08 AM
OK, can't run Photoshop on this Netbook so have done my best to colour correct the image from the German magazine. I'd say that the veneer colour is now about right - by which I mean typical of our rosewood - but there is still an unwelcome yellow cast over the cone which I'd need PS to remove to my satisfaction. Ignoring that, this is a farly accurate representation.

A.S.
19-04-2010, 05:09 PM
OK, can't run Photoshop on this Netbook ... but there is still an unwelcome yellow cast over the cone ...Although the full PS won't run on this Netbook's pared down processor, PS Elements 8 will and I've removed the colour cast on the cone and adjusted the image overall. I'd say that this is a fairly typical SHL5 rosewood from us.

moqadam
19-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Woow! Thank you Alan, very nice picture. Glad I choose mine in rosewood. :) I don’t think they deserve grill on top.

Jake H
20-04-2010, 11:15 PM
This is a little different. I own a pair of BC1 speakers in a small room (184X126"). I was plaqued by thumpy bass that I corelated to the speaker placement ( in the corners and fixed because of a plethora of doors). The resonant frequency tied in to the room dimensions fairly well. The room has a substantial amount of acoustic treatment and is reasonably well damped.
I decided to add a REL T3 subwoofer working off a Velodyne SMS-1 crossover that fed the main amplifiers and the Rel. The idea was to move the REL to where a minimum standing wave was generated. This was very successful and relieved the BC1 from the low bass. The sound was much cleaner and I heard more ambience. Imaging is very good.

I would like to change to the Harbeth 7ES-3. Should I use the same REL set up or would the smaller Harbeth be a better choice?