PDA

View Full Version : Compact 7 ES-3 30Th Anniversary version

fiore
19-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Hello Guy,

I've a couple of question on C7 ES-3 on wich I need Your help:

Q1) 30Th Anniversary version of c7es3 : How much sound better then normal version?

Q2) The price of 30th anniversary was Higher then normal version?

Thanks
Regards
Fiore

KT88
20-02-2010, 05:21 AM
Buon Giorno, Fiore!

The Anniversary Editions from Harbeth seem to be veiled in mystery. I own two of them: 25th Anniversary Compact 7 ES-2 and 30th Anniversary Monitor 30.

From what I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong A.S. or Harbeth PR, the Anniversary Editions have higher quality internal wiring and the drivers are matched to higher standards. Or was this for the Rendevouz Editions? I wouldn't mind knowing the facts on this myself.As for the sound, having never heard the standard version of either of my speakers, I have no way of knowing if they sound better or not.

Bob LaBarca
State College, PA
USA

EricW
20-02-2010, 06:59 AM
I am curious about this as well, particularly as a poster a few days ago claimed to own a "special edition" of the P3ESR, which I had no idea existed. Mind you, I'm quite happy with my "standard" version, but it does beg the question as to what exactly makes the "anniversary" or other special editions different. If the difference is meaningful, shouldn't it be available in all speakers? And if it's not, why do it at all?

Gan CK
20-02-2010, 07:47 AM
As far as i know, there's no special edition of P3ESR. All P3ESR comes with OFC Internal wiring. Correct me if i am wrong here Alan.Anyway, i had a 25th Anniversary SHL-5, a standard SHL-5 & currently owns a 30th Anniversary SHL-5 that has OFC internal wiring. Any difference you might ask? Yes, subtle ones but still discernable. One thing i noticed about the SHL-5 from the 25th anniversary model right up to the current 30th anniversay ones is that there has been a slight change in the super tweeter. The super tweeter has undergone 2 subtle physical changes. Just take a closer look at the profile of the super tweeter & you'll see the physical differences. And that probably accounts for the fact that the most current SHL-5 sounds a tad more open & transparent than the initial SHL-5 in 2002. With regards to differences in standard wiring & OFC wiring, i did notice (i could be wrong here) that the OFC version seems to sound a tad more transparent & highly resolved though i did not have a chance to hear the 2 different versions side by side. All i know is that my current 30th anniversary SHL-5 with OFC internal wiring definitely sounds slightly more open, detailed & better resolved than the 2002 or 2005 versions that i had.

Btw, i've not seen a standard version of C7-ES3 here in Singapore. From what i know, all C7-ES3 comes equipped with the OFC internal wiring. Unless the thread starter is referring to C7-ES2.

tozen
20-02-2010, 12:42 PM
The OFC wiring is not standard here in the UK. We pay a little extra for the OFC wiring. Maybe due to demand the OFC versions are almost standard issue in some of the export markets. Am just guessing....

EricW
20-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Sounds like a little clarification is in order. I was not aware of any option to pay a bit extra and get OFC wiring in my speakers. Had that option been available, and reasonably priced, I might have taken advantage of it. Would I hear any difference? Perhaps not (probably not, in fact), but I wouldn't be left to wonder if my speakers might have sounded better yet for a nominal cost.