PDA

View Full Version : Harbeth Reviews in the Gramophone Magazine Archive

Labarum
18-03-2010, 04:29 PM
I have been searching for recent Harbeth Reviews in the Gramophone Magazine Archive.

I find nothing. Have I missed something?

harbethpr
18-03-2010, 07:49 PM
I'm curious ..... why would you think you're missing something? We don't 'do' reviews.

Labarum
18-03-2010, 07:58 PM
All I meant was, have I failed to execute the search correctly and therefore missed data that is there. Clearly I have not and it is not! Dare I ask why "We don't 'do' reviews"?

I went to "Gramophone" looking for a review from the musicians' rather than the HiFi addicts point of view.

A.S.
18-03-2010, 08:11 PM
I think I can reply to this.

The last contact we had with that magazine was about twelve ago*. We have no idea who runs it, who writes for it, what their editorial policy is, how equipment reviews dovetail with the music reviews (we are not on their or indeed any other hi-fi magazine's circulation list) and haven't actually opened a copy for many years. We're completely out of touch with them. Ditto HFN, HFW, WHF, etc. etc.. This, here and word of mouth from existing users is surely the best source of information.

* I remember it well. Run by the same family for two generations, they invited me to their 'industry luncheons' where I rubbed shoulders with the likes of Raymond Cooke OBE. But now? All sadly washed away.

Gan CK
19-03-2010, 04:38 AM
I remember reading 2 reviews that Gramophone covered on Harbeth. But that was like 20 years ago. It was the HL-MK4 followed closely by the improved HL-5. If i am not wrong, John Borwick covered those 2 reviews. Both reviews were very positive. I believe Gramophone also did a review on the HL-K6 & C7 in the mid 90s if i am not mistaken.

keithwwk
19-03-2010, 05:27 AM
I am C7 lover, I recently found few old harbeth reviews in Gramophone thru google. You can see the C7 review thru below link:

http://www.gramophone.net/Issue/Page/August%201994/135/859719/Harbeth+Compact+7

You can find some old models at right side "related links".

Gan CK
19-03-2010, 06:10 AM
Found this 1989 gramophone review of the HL-5 by John Borwick

http://www.gramophone.net/Issue/Page/October%201989/203/753494/HARBETH+HL5+LOUDSPEAKER

I also have a hard copy of this review.