PDA

View Full Version : Is Harbeth your first Loudspeaker?

STHLS5
25-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Harbeth is my third pair of loudspeakers. Although, I discovered Harbeth about 10 years ago and admired the sound but by then I already owned another pair of speakers. In 2003, I decided to upgrade but somehow overlooked Harbeth due to lack of exposure and ended up buying another pair of British made loudspeakers. Later, I was in speaker modification which I regret now.

Third time around, I took my time and made a wise decision. Instead of relying on reviews or recommendation I tried to recall the most satisfying sound that I have ever heard and thatís how Harbeth ended up in my room.
How about you guys?

ST

hifi_dave
25-05-2010, 10:10 AM
A Harbeth is the 'first speaker' I put on when I want to enjoy music.

Gan CK
25-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Harbeth is definitely not my 1st pair of loudspeakers but on hearing the venerable HL-MK4 in 1986, i knew that it would have a very special place in my hifi journey. Today in 2010, & after having tried & heard countless other loudspeakers, Harbeth is still my reference. No comparison.

tein3
25-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Harbeth is my 4th pair of speakers... never knew about it until in year 2008, I was introduced to it by a friend whom felt it would be the sound signature that I would be looking for.. however... I did not get 1 then, it was a pair of used SHL5 that I heard @ the local AD shop. At that point, I bought another made of speakers, bookshelf speakers.

Had several listen to Harbeth at the local AD shop during the period when I owned the pair of bookshelves ... and when a shipment arrived @his shop, I had the chance to listen to 3 of it's model, 7s, 5s & 40.1s... from there the character of the sounds lingers with me, BUT the stubborn me then, was still looking at another pair of Flagship Bookshelf speakers. Then I went about to listen to Horn speakers & Electrostatic speakers.... and it was this point, that I decided against the Flagship model of the brand of bookshelves I was looking at. And I told myself... YES, I will get Harbeth, it is the sound I am looking for! That is how I end up with my 7s now, had the P3ESR briefly and now... am waiting "patiently" for my SHL5 to arrive :) And will have both 5s & 7s as my speakers @ home as I cannot bear to part off with the 7s.... hopefully will maintain as that... and I never need to give up 1 gor another between the 5s & 7s :)

Spinning my vinyl now on my 7s... blissful :))

Sebastien
25-05-2010, 05:45 PM
... now... am waiting "patiently" for my SHL5 to arrive :)

When do you expect them to arrive?

Sebastien

keithwwk
26-05-2010, 02:17 AM
Harbeth is not my 1st pair of speaker. I ever laugh on Harbeth look and said I can build better. In yr 2003, I helped my friend setup this 1st Hifi system with P3. That was my turning point. I got my C7 in yr 2004 and started to share Harbeth sound honestly in Sg forum and some oversea forums as well. I got plenty of flames, hurts, personal attacks, family attacks, vulgar etc in return. Some even said I am a Harbeth dealer. But that couldn't stop me keep posting and sharing on Harbeth..together with some harebth users as well (the harbeth thread lasted until the forum death...still it is one of the longest thread in that forum) Until yr 2006, Harbeth suddenly sell like a Hotcake..today, Harbeth still selling like a Hotcake and this proved what we Harbethians shared is honest and right. Not my 1st pair, but, Harbeth sure is my last speaker and I want to listening music from it as long as I can...

PS: I also notice a very funny phenomenon: when ever Harbeth is mentioned, most of the respond is flame and attack. :)

STHLS5
26-05-2010, 02:56 AM
I thought I could get more response (sigh) but so far it appears Harbeth was never the first choice when one started their HiFi setup. I only know of one guy who took the plunge to this new hobby and got compact7 as his first ever loudspeaker but unfortunately he no longer owns it.

The way I see it most Harbeth owners buy them after some wild goose chase in the hifi world. Good to see some very young people discovered Harbeth much earlier than myself.

ST

Sebastien
26-05-2010, 03:20 AM
...The way I see it most Harbeth owners buy them after some wild goose chase in the hifi world. Good to see some very young people discovered Harbeth much earlier than myself...

Good for me, I'm 29 years old and I've already discover Harbeth. It is a friend of mine who introduce me to that brand. At first, I took a look on the web site and I was skeptical. Mostly because none of them were floorstander. At that time, I was thinking to change my Audio Physic Virgo III to discover the British sound. My friend have a nice pair of British Celestion 7000 and he suggested me to audition the Harbeth.

I've done this in found them (C7ES3 and SHL5) very musical, balance, open and natural. I felt in love with the SHL5. I'm suppose to receive my pair in June. It will be my third pair of speakers since I'm "seriously" into high-fidelity. The last was the Virgo III and before a pair of Camber 3.5ti made in Canada, pretty much inspired by the BBC two cubic foot design.

Sebastien

Gan CK
26-05-2010, 04:08 AM
Good for me, I'm 29 years old and I've already discover Harbeth. It is a friend of mine who introduce me to that brand. At first, I took a look on the web site and I was skeptical. Mostly because none of them were floorstander. At that time, I was thinking to change my Audio Physic Virgo III to discover the British sound. My friend have a nice pair of British Celestion 7000 and he suggested me to audition the Harbeth.

I've done this in found them (C7ES3 and SHL5) very musical, balance, open and natural. I felt in love with the SHL5. I'm suppose to receive my pair in June. It will be my third pair of speakers since I'm "seriously" into high-fidelity. The last was the Virgo III and before a pair of Camber 3.5ti made in Canada, pretty much inspired by the BBC two cubic foot design.

Sebastien

Haha i discovered Harbeth in 1986 when i was only 16 years old. I started this hobby at age of 8. Started liking the british sound at age 12 when i first heard the Rogers LS-7 & subsequently heard Studio 1, Celestion SL-6, Ditton series, IMF Studio Monitors, TDL Studio monitors, Gale 401,402, Spendor SP-1, SP-2, B&W DM series, 800 series, Tannoy dual concentric series, Mordaunt Short MS series, 442, KEF 101, 103, 104AB, 104, 105...etc etc....

All in all, felt that british loudspeakers back then sounded way more musical, sophisticated, delicate & above all sounded more correct in terms of tone & timbre than any other speakers from elsewhere. I find that this still holds true today especially with Harbeth at the top of the heap.

keithwwk
26-05-2010, 04:16 AM
IMO, need experience to appreciate Harbeth sound. No need to surprise there are people who sweared to love Harbeth after they got it and now no longer with Harbeth. Some users who asked "which amp/cable/stand/cdp/ etc, is best with my harbeth" may no longer with Harbeth as well...I personally conclude Harbeth is for mature (in term of music taste) listener who able to appreciate the beauty of music, emotion, soul and art of the real musics. There are plenty of hifi hobbyists listen to thunder sound, dinosaur footstep, exaggerated drum sound, electrical canon blast, test signals from 20hz to 20khz....etc but not music...(I was one of them)..Harbeth may impressed them with its musical sound but nvr able to fulfill they hunger of sound effect and "show-off"..they will tell you "well, it is warm, colored and good for vocal, but when come to dynamic, it is lifeless, flat and weak".

STHLS5
26-05-2010, 04:36 AM
IMO, need experience to appreciate Harbeth sound. No need to surprise there are people who sweared to love Harbeth after they got it and now no longer with Harbeth. Some users who asked "which amp/cable/stand/cdp/ etc, is best with my harbeth" may no longer with Harbeth as well...I personally conclude Harbeth is for mature (in term of music taste) listener who able to appreciate the beauty of music, emotion, soul and art of the real musics. There are plenty of hifi hobbyists listen to thunder sound, dinosaur footstep, exaggerated drum sound, electrical canon blast, test signals from 20hz to 20khz....etc but not music...(I was one of them)..Harbeth may impressed them with its musical sound but nvr able to fulfill they hunger of sound effect and "show-off"..they will tell you "well, it is warm, colored and good for vocal, but when come to dynamic, it is lifeless, flat and weak".

And you wonder why you get flamed whenever you mention Harbeth? :))

tein3
26-05-2010, 08:37 AM
When do you expect them to arrive?

Sebastien

October was the last advice...

A.S.
26-05-2010, 08:44 AM
IMO, need experience to appreciate Harbeth sound. ... There are plenty of hifi hobbyists listen to thunder sound, dinosaur footstep, ... but not music...(I was one of them).....Yes; there are significant numbers of buyers who discover, or often rediscover, Harbeth after wasting a fortune and years of disappointment chasing an unfulfilled audio dream.

For them we offer a differentiated product in a choked marketplace. That means, by retaining the same recognisable basic physical shape, they can directly associate today's Harbeth with a positive and memorable listening experience they had perhaps twenty or thirty years ago. So often we hear that a lifetime ago they heard something magical, but didn't have the funds, confidence or sophistication to make the purchase. Years pass by. Years become decades. Much money is wasted on other equipment. Then, by chance, they stumble across us again, and take a listen. What they hear reinforces their former experience. The loop is finally closed with their purchase.

Since thee are thousands of would-be consumers in that boat, all we have to do is be here when they are at that point. It matters not whether it is this week or next year. We're here for the long term.

EricW
26-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Shouldn't the question really be: Is Harbeth your last loudspeaker?

Euler
26-05-2010, 07:04 PM
I thought I could get more response (sigh) but so far it appears Harbeth was never the first choice when one started their HiFi setup. I only know of one guy who took the plunge to this new hobby and got compact7 as his first ever loudspeaker but unfortunately he no longer owns it. The way I see it most Harbeth owners buy them after some wild goose chase in the hifi world. Good to see some very young people discovered Harbeth much earlier than myself.

ST

It seems odd, to me anyway, that Harbeth isn't often the first choice. All you have to do is read the reviews. The C7-ES3, for example, has the most UNIFORMLY enthusiastic reviews I have seen. And on that basis, the C7 was my first (and last) serious speaker. Not that one should put too much stock in any single review, but when every reviewer falls in love, and the speaker wins award after award, especially given the wide variety in taste out there, that really means something:

"If I could only pick one pair of speakers under $10k that I had to live with for the rest of my life, the Compact 7ES-3 would be my choice." Tone Audio Magazine 2008 Awards

"The Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 is a speaker without fault. It does everything that I could ever want a speaker in this price range to do; play music extremely failthfully without coloration or fatigue" Jeff Dorgay, Tone Audio Magazine, June 2008

Golden Ear Award and Editor's Choice Award in The Absolute Sound, October 2007: "... the ne plus ultra of BBC 2-way designs, with bass down to 46 Hz, an essentially perfect midrange, and a top end that reproduces ambience fantastically. ... With respect to accuracy, neutrality, and natural tonal balance the (Compact 7ES-3) establishes a new benchmark for compact 2-ways".

In The Absolute Sound Review (April/May 2007) Paul Seydor says"...Indeed, for sheer neutrality the 7ES-3 rivals the Harbeth Monitor 40, and in the 2kHz-4kHz range even trumps my reference Quads...I cannot overstate how fantastically these speakers reproduce ambience, whether real or synthesized, large spaces or small... this speaker sets, in my experience, a new benchmark in neutrality and natural tonal balance over its usable range, regardless of price"

The Stereo Times October 2007 review describes the Compact 7ES-3's as"accurate instrumental timbre" and "grace, wit, fire, nuance, intelligence, and artistic sensibility of the highest order."

Stereophile's Sam Tellig (review in the June 2007 issue) calls this update to the C7 "one of the finest ... most musically satisfying ... loudspeakers I've heard"

After reading these reviews, why doesn't _everyone_ go get a Harbeth?

Bruce

A.S.
26-05-2010, 08:32 PM
After reading these reviews, why doesn't _everyone_ go get a Harbeth?Thank goodness they don't! It's difficult keeping up with production as it is!

Joking aside, it proves one thing to me. A review is not a substitute for an audition, at a friends or a dealers place. And since on a global scale the nearest dealer is perhaps, on average across the planet, 1000km away, there will only be a limited number of customers able to listen and then order. To be a real marketing force, you have to have distribution to every region, city and town. That's far beyond our capabilities.

So let's rejoice that we are just about able to match today's demand with tomorrow's supply!

trh8654
26-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Shouldn't the question really be: Is Harbeth your last loudspeaker?

Not my first, and probably not my last. First Harbeths were the SHL5s, and i am now awaiting the 40.1s to here. (June I hope) In my quest for a speaker I would enjoy more than the SHL5s i ended with three speakers i enjoyed more. They were the Vandersteen 5a, Harbeth 40.1, & Audio Note AN-E LX signatures. My wife wanted the Audio Notes, but we really didnt feel like re-doing our room so we could corner load them. I really liked all three, maybe with a little larger room i would have dropped the $$ on the Vandersteens. We auditioned all three quite a bit. I think for our room and when considering the cost, The 40.1s are the right choice for us for quite awhile.

tein3
27-05-2010, 04:35 AM
Harbeth has not been my first speakers, but it will be the last... the last brand / make of speakers that I will look at/listen to.

I am currently "very patiently" waiting for my SHL5 to arrive... and trying to subdue my urge for it. And my deepest regret... is not able to listen to them in my current room set up (room size too), so as I could feel the 5s against my beloved 7s in the same room and set up. The expected stock arrival indicated by the local AD... October is the likely possibility :( .... :( but I will be shifting out from my current home to another in September and the assigned room at my new home has a smaller listening room size than what I have now...

My wife has been concern, that I will be changing hifi stuffs (been changing much before I got my first Harbeth, THE 7s).... I assure her that my current set up is "done" - "cooked", no more changes needed, happy with the set up. BUT a pair of 5s is coming to compliment the house... so as I could have Harbeth in the living room and Harbeth in the listening room... hahahahhahaha, *she faints*

Oh all mighty forces from the Universe... please allow Harbeth factory to complete the orders soon... and may we all, globally, recieve our ordered speakers sooner than plan....

May the force be with Harbeth :))

Gan CK
27-05-2010, 04:42 AM
Harbeth has not been my first speakers, but it will be the last... the last brand / make of speakers that I will look at/listen to.

I am currently "very patiently" waiting for my SHL5 to arrive... and trying to subdue my urge for it.
And my deepest regret... is not able to listen to them in my current room set up (room size too), so as I could feel the 5s against my beloved 7s in the same room and set up.
The expected stock arrival indicated by the local AD... October is the likely possibility :( .... :( but I will be shifting out from my current home to another in September and the assigned room at my new home has a smaller listening room size than what I have now...

My wife has been concern, that I will be changing hifi stuffs (been changing much before I got my first Harbeth, THE 7s).... I assure her that my current set up is "done" - "cooked", no more changes needed, happy with the set up. BUT a pair of 5s is coming to compliment the house... so as I could have Harbeth in the living room and Harbeth in the listening room... hahahahhahaha, *she faints*

Oh all mighty forces from the Universe... please allow Harbeth factory to complete the orders soon... and may we all, globally, recieve our ordered speakers sooner than plan....

May the force be with Harbeth :))

Oh so you are shifting....btw, the SHL-5s will definitely be well worth the wait.....

Thanos
27-05-2010, 07:29 AM
It all started back in 1979. Then was the time for my first set up. Speakers were the Advent Loudspeakers (any memories?). Since then I changed numerous times, yet my first system kept its place for about 12 years. I remember the only speakers that moved me (except the SHL5's) were of Greek origin, and they did draw some significant attention at an exhibition/show in Heathrow back in the late '80s... Quite less expensive than their foreign siblings at that time... Greeks were very good in designing and making back then, before the profit religion was deeply inserted in their minds. After many years of seeking, I discovered the Harbeths, and - as Eric mentions above- decided that they will be the last ones. The reasons of this choice need more than a page to be written on... Obviously so. As Alan has previously commented, maybe years are spent for wandering around, but now I do have experience, and most certainly I can give at least a serious piece of advice to those starting up or upgrading.
Regards,
Thanos

STHLS5
27-05-2010, 08:41 AM
It seems odd, to me anyway, that Harbeth isn't often the first choice.

HiFi magazine are only useful for people who have money and time looking for better equipments. I subscribe to none. But the magazines served as a guide when I wanted to know what's hot at that time. I did not see Harbeth. My decision based solely on the best sound (vocal) that I liked and then Harbeth came to my mind. However, before the purchase I did extensive research on Harbeth before deciding between Dynaudio C1 and M40.1. Our distributor Sam advised against M40.1 for my room. It was a tough decision between M30 and SHL5. A few local audiophiles and a review favouring M30. Andy of Harbeth suggested SHL5 but at the end it was entirely my decision to pick SHL5.

ST

Euler
27-05-2010, 05:22 PM
HiFi magazine are only useful for people who have money and time looking for better equipments. I subscribe to none. But the magazines served as a guide when I wanted to know what's hot at that time. I did not see Harbeth.

ST

I don't subscribe to any HIFi magazines either. All the glowing reviews that led me to the C7 I found online. When I peruse HiFi magazines at the local bookstore, it's as if Harbeth didn't exist.

Bruce

george_k
27-05-2010, 07:58 PM
My C7's are the 5th speaker I've purchased. It took all that time owning those four speakers prior to the Harbeths for me to understand what was missing and what I was looking for. The QUAD ESL 989 was another speaker I enjoyed but never had the privilege of owning.

Sebastien
27-05-2010, 08:59 PM
...The reasons of this choice need more than a page to be written on...

Hi Thanos,

Let us know it all.

Sebastien

Thanos
28-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Hi Thanos,

Let us know it all.

Sebastien

Hi Sebastien,

Well, let me put my remarks in headlines without further analysis. The comparisons apply to speakers I've previoysly used and heard, both floorstanders and standmounts.

- Harbeths did a splendid job with vocals. Never before had I heard voices so liquid, warm and present, also a great issue for choruses within symphonic works or opera, but as well with jazz.
- No booming! Floorstanders brought booming in my (difficult) living room with many hard surfaces, needing to be well away from walls, while Harbeths simply didn't present any problem at all in this field.
- The tonal balance and integration between the lows, mids & highs. Harbeths -although three way- behaved like single full range driver monitors, but with a really wide soundstage together with beautiful & well balanced bass. (Some Tannoys, B&Ws and Mirage I had, were either too "big" sounding, meaning losing integration, or very "dry sounding", these were the B&Ws, which left my ears tired after half an hour of listening. With the SHL5s, I can be left travelling in music for hours...
- The ease of drive. With a McIntosh intergrated I drove everything well enough with control and smoothness. But with low powered integrateds (some oldy small Luxman, NAD and Yamaha) I had problems driving the B&Ws and Mirage floorstanders, especially with the bass in mid-high volume. Harbeths are unbelievably easy to drive and very enjoyable even in quite low volume! And I do mean this, with ANY small decent amp!
- The fact that you can have real good results with an old small intergrated, hearing what otherwise you would need to spend much more to get.. That natural sound Alan has been always telling about, is not an advertisement. It is a real achievement, with immediate (good) result for your pocket. You just buy Harbeth, then you are quite some steps up in reproduction, without further sacrifice.
- Last, but not least, it is Alan himself and the Harbeth philosophy, which I don't need to re-introduce of course, that brought to my beloved hobby the feeling of security, confidence and trust to home made quality. No more wandering around...
We could go wider and deeper in technical analysis and commercial issues, but I just wanted to highlight this few issues about Harbeth, If all this somehow covers your question. And I'm more than certain that you most probably agree with it.
Cheers,
Thanos

miniwatt
31-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Yes, it's my first pair of speakers, but certainly won't be my last pair of Harbeth speakers. I tend to appreciate my P3ESR more after listening to other brands. :-)

Tran Khoa
05-06-2010, 08:05 PM
I don't know if it gonna be my first pair but here my storie

Im 36 old . I bought my first house last year a detached have 1400sf. I bought a Yamaha Htr 8180 with the Bose Acoustimas 10 for the home theater about 2 years ago, and try listen the music with it. I must say it's kinda boring. I bought it more for the movies. After listening Yanny, rock, classical, etc, I ended up buying Playstation3 with Guitar Hero last 2-3 month. I think it's start from here i knew my ears is demanding for Hi-Fi. I has the chance buying at Futureshop a pair of Energy RC-70 for 1500$, cuz they are usally ~2500$.

At first i love them, very Clear, Bass is tight, and after i bought all the speakers surround that go with. In total 3200$ with the RC-70. After 2 weeks listen at them, my ears still telling me something is wrong, I don't know what it is. But my wife is in love with them. Oh i din't mention that my wife tried to stop me to buy new speakers, Cuz i use the earning money to build the basement to buy them. So after 2 weeks witht he Energy, I'm still looking around for better one. I don't know where to look for the one that will fit my ears. I look with the Paradigm, cuz alot ppl swearing with them over the others audio forum. I listened the Studio 60 ~ 2300$... I run away after 5 min. So im guessing maybe my ears need around 10k speakers +. So i returned the Energy, And searching over the web and found B&W . I listened the old B&W 803D with the Bryston And i say wow! at first listening. I go all around with 4-5 pro-Audioshop From Ottawa to Montreal Listening all brands even the Wilson Maxx. I know i can't handle those speakers cuz with Amp, preamp, wire,etc i must say im touching 15k+.

But when i sleep all my head is still over the speakers, can't stop it.. every days. I ended up to Audioshop " Son Ideal" in Montreal, i has the chance was Claude serving me. I asked him for the B&W. After listening the new 804d, than after with the Harbeth C7, im still not satisfy. I asked him for better, he showed me the SHL5 drived by Bryston 4Bsst2, than after the Rogue Cronus. I must say this time it's touched me in my deep soul. I go home looking the over the Web again, comparing the B&W 803D and SHL5, cuz ppl are selling the old 803d right now for 6000$ and the new SHL5+ tax = ~5900$. I must say almost none is selling his Harbeth, but you can find alot B&W 803d , 802d.... So the Harbeth is the Keeper. I called Claude and Ordered the SHL5 wit the Cronus for 8200$ .

So the SHL5 will be my first audio Hi-Fi, and will be my last. After i will look for wire, and CD.

I don't know when i will build the basement. But my wife is wonderfull, she know she can't stop me, and understand me. I must say thank to Claude at Son Ideal. I dont't know what to say... about Claude and Harbeth.. I think only by the love and heart that can guide you to them.

Sebastien
06-06-2010, 12:07 AM
I also heard Harbeth for the first time at Son Ideal in Montreal. While my first listening was with the C7ES3, I felt in love with the SHL5. They were also powered by the Rogue Audio Cronus and the source was a Rega P3-24.

Sebastien

singslingr
04-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Harbeth isn't my first and it certainly won't be the last speaker brand I'll try.

I've owned many through the years - eg Epos ES14, ProAc Response 1sc, Tannoy DC700, KEFs, Rogers, Elacs, Bose Acoustimass to name a few - and I currently run three systems at home with speakers like the Harbeth P3ESR, Spendor SA1 and PMC DB1i. All are rotated every now and again as the fancy takes me. The P3ESRs are fantastic speakers but they are by no means perfect (such a creature does not exist). I think they offer a blend of the sound that you get from Spendor and ProAc but in my opinion this doesn't make them better than those brands, just different in a good way. However, although I love the Harbeth presentation, I also highly value the virtues that have taken these other brands to the top of their game.

denjo
05-11-2010, 01:12 AM
I made my first speakers! It was a single mono speaker! I sourced the speaker cone from a raodside stall for cheap and made the wooden cabinets, with some help from my dad. The enclosure was filled with cotton wool and I even managed to get some brown cloth for the grille. How did it sound? Well, in the good ole days when I did not know audiophile babble such as soundstanging, imaging, depth, width, transparency, placing ..... it sounded very, very good! Ahhh ..... paradise lost!

My first real speakers were the diminutive Linaeums (with ribbon tweeter). The Linaeums were very sweet sounding speakers but alas they were stiolen during an office move. I have since owned AudioNote, Thiel and am now the proud owner of a pair of Super 5s.

STHLS5
05-11-2010, 02:42 AM
.... (such a creature does not exist). ....

Well, even if such creature exists, we - the human race is so inconsistent. Yesterday, I found out never ever rely on another's opinion to find out whether my system was set up properly as they are not consistent with their observation. Try it for yourself, simply claim you have changed the cables or what not, and suddenly you will hear different opinions even though you did not change a thing.

When I bought a certain SACD player, many echoed Streophile's opinion that this particular player is "laid back" and lacked attack. However, their opinions changed when I told them I am using brand "X" DAC, and the SACD player was only acting as a transport. The truth is I have never connected the DAC to the PreAmp and despite that when I simply click the DAC switch on and off, my friends could still hear some differences.

ST

Sebastien
05-11-2010, 03:13 AM
... Try it for yourself, simply claim you have changed the cables or what not, and suddenly you will hear different opinions even though you did not change a thing...

That is so true.

kittykat
05-11-2010, 08:18 AM
my first loudspeakers - the humble Rogers LS2a/2's. Still have them and use them for AV.

KT88
05-11-2010, 08:05 PM
No, Harbeths were not the first speakers for me, but they will be the last. I figure the Monitor 30's are just small enough to fit on the shelf of just about any nursing home room, should it come to that!

coredump
06-11-2010, 12:34 AM
Well, even if such creature exists, we - the human race is so inconsistent. Yesterday, I found out never ever rely on another's opinion to find out whether my system was set up properly as they are not consistent with their observation. Try it for yourself, simply claim you have changed the cables or what not, and suddenly you will hear different opinions even though you did not change a thing.

When I bought a certain SACD player, many echoed Streophile's opinion that this particular player is "laid back" and lacked attack. However, their opinions changed when I told them I am using brand "X" DAC, and the SACD player was only acting as a transport. The truth is I have never connected the DAC to the PreAmp and despite that when I simply click the DAC switch on and off, my friends could still hear some differences.
ST

these act could have mark the end of your Hifi journey, and mine too. anyway, Congratulation!

coredump
06-11-2010, 12:54 AM
well, i have had Mission, Quad, ... and finally Harbeth. This love for speakers has taken it's toll on me (mentally).

STHLS5
08-11-2010, 02:09 AM
these act could have mark the end of your Hifi journey, and mine too. anyway, Congratulation!

How can that be? I have just added my old super tweeter to super HL5. Already 2 days and I hear no difference. But just wondering whether it got some effect on feeling less fatigue.

But just maybe, we do not want this journey to end. Otherwise, what would we do? Just sit and enjoy the music? Oh yes we are suppose to do that.

ST

Double D
09-11-2010, 01:32 AM
No.. Harbeth is not my first pair of loudspeakers .. far from it ! the laundry list of speakers that have passed through my home(s) over the years has been really quite something..
However, I've come "back" to a sound that I loved very much years ago, my ill fated Rogers Studio 1's which through the courtesy of nasty power line surge took a devastating hit (and vaporized a channel of my amp at the time !) alas they never were quite right after that, and I moved on.. and so began the non-stop parade of pretenders. Fast forward many years, and through a chance advert, a pair of M30's showed up locally (Thanks Paul !) and the music is back with a vengance.
Will a Harbeth speaker be my last speaker.. doubtful.. but, at the same time I suspect that I won't be stupid enough to let go of these music makers. I will keep them around even as I might flirt with others as interest arises, and then wanes again as their charms wear off.
The point is simple, when it comes to sitting down and enjoying MUSIC at the end of bad day, not much betters a well set up pair of Harbeths.

Takis
01-02-2011, 09:28 AM
Starting the journey back in 1973:
Philips, B.I.C. Venturi, B&O, NM Acoustics (JM Lab/Focal), Impulse Cora, Martin Logan Aerius (this one for almost 10 years)
and then, in 2010 end of the trip, Harbeth SHL-5
Better late than never.

KT88
01-02-2011, 06:11 PM
No, Harbeths were not the first. The list goes like this:

Jensen bookshelf, paper cones, sealed box. Not bad, for the money,

Polk Audio Model 5's. In the late 70's, I had heard that Polk used the Spendor BC-1 as a reference.

B&W DM 7's-a great speaker to this day! Sold them to buy:

Vandersteen 2 Ci's. First Order crossovers, a completely different sound. In hindsight, a sideways move from the B&W's.

Magneplanar MG III a's. Still have them, a reference of sorts.

My first Harbeths-the Compact 7 ES-2's. A revelation!

Sold the Vandersteens and found a used pair of DM 7's. Like dating an old girlfriend! They sounded better to me this time around than the first.

I had to have a pair of the Harbeth monitors-in came the Monitor 30's. My secondary reference, they give the Magneplanars a run for the money in a lot of ways.

Gave the DM 7's to my musician daughter. She and her friends still spellbound by them.

Had to have some B&W's around, found a pare of rare DM 17's. A great little sealed box two way.

If I had to lose all but one pair, the Monitor 30's would be the last man standing!

Spectre
01-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Harbeths were the second speaker brand I owned after I originally had a pair of Rogers LS4a in the late eighties. Around that time I was working in a BBC local Radio station and heard the LS3/5a, I thought it was good but not perfect and room for some improvement. Enter the HL-P3 in the 90's which I bought (pair in Walnut) almost immediately after their release amongst very favourable reviews and I fell in love with them instantly. Now after many years of not having any hi fi due to finances I'm getting a pair of P3ESR's which will compliment a line up of other British mini monitors I currently now own. I have to say I'm looking forward with a lot of excitement to hearing the Harbeth sound again and any improvements they've since made since the original P3, the anticipation is nearly killing me.

LarsS
01-05-2012, 10:11 PM
the first "serious" speaker I bought was a KEF Kit 3 in 1970 or thereabout. Then I decided to buy a "decent" speaker, a Spendor BC1.
But I also had a Radford M90 kit during that time. In 1988 on my way back from England, after a rather sad experience I spotted a review of the RUARK Broadsword in an HIFI magazine bought at the airport. I thought they might cheer me up a bit so I bought a pair. Next in line was the RUARK Crusader II, bought because I wanted something bigger and better?. Well after 10 years with them, I began to read about Harbeth and got more and more tempted. After all so many people can not be wrong. A pair of SHL5 was bought without even having heard a single note through any Harbeth, but I was for some reason so confident it did not matter.
They are staying, the SHL5 just play music, sometimes stunning and sometimes not, depending on the recording. I has been quite a long trip to end with Harbeth
for me, you get older and wiser.