PDA

View Full Version : Harbeth SHL5 and Jolida 302B

Buonarroti
18-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Thinking of picking up a pair of SHL5's and just wondering if the Jolida 302B (tube 50wpc) will be a good match. My system currently consists of VPI Classic turntable, Dynavector 20xl cartridge, Dynavector P75 mkii phono, and Coincident Technology Triumph speakers. Small to medium sized room. Listen to a lot of jazz and rock...

Thanking all in advance.

Don Leman
18-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Here is a cut and paste from Alan in the FAQ section of the user group...

"3. Harbeths present an easy electrical load to their driving amplifiers. They are deliberately designed to be so. There are tens of thousands of Harbeth speakers in use around the world and we do not have enough knowledge or staff to handle inevitable questions such as 'will Harbeths work with XYZ amplifier?'. So, we have always made absolutely certain at the design stage that Harbeths will work will any credible amplifier. You do not need to ask this question, because the answer is, if the amp is working properly, that yes, it will work with your Harbeths. More on amplifier selection here.

This question (or as I say, non-question) about speaker-amp matching does arise from time to time. I try to explain our position; here again is a summary.

4. Harbeth speakers do not need big amplifiers. Generally speaking, 25W per channel is a sensible minimum across the range. That will get you going but 25W won't produce the maximum loudness that a Harbeth is capable of: for that you'll need a bigger amp. If you play soft, late at night or you don't want to annoy your neighbours then a few watts will be enough power. What if you have a really powerful amplifier? A bigger amp, like a bigger car engine, will give you a power reserve which you may or may not ever need depending on your music listening habits. Obviously, if your children take control of your hi-fi then a more powerful amplifier could/may/will do more damage just as a powerful car driven too fast can/may/will. In brief: use whatever power you have responsibly.

5. Harbeth speakers will work with any type of amp: solid state (transistor, MOSFET) amps, digital amps or tube (valve) amps."

kittykat
19-08-2010, 12:22 AM
5. Harbeth speakers will work with any type of amp: solid state (transistor, MOSFET) amps, digital amps or tube (valve) amps."

as can be seen from these photos from Taiwanese and South Korean sites...

Pencey
19-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Thinking of picking up a pair of SHL5's and just wondering if the Jolida 302B (tube 50wpc) will be a good match.

I had the latest remote control Jolida 302 in my shop last year. I swapped out the stock EL34's for 6CA7's and used RCA black plates & NOS Mullards for the other tubes. The Compact 7's and Jolida were lovely together, imagine the SHL5's would be too. I loved the design of the Jolida remote, a substantial machined, anodized block of alloy with chrome ball bearings used for the control bottoms.

Dominic
25-08-2010, 02:20 PM
as can be seen from these photos from Taiwanese and South Korean sites...

Melody amps looks nice.