PDA

View Full Version : Monitor 30s at home

Paul G Smith
16-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Driven by Bryston, and supported by (shh) B&W ASW750 subs.
Sounds really quite natural!

kittykat
16-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Very nice Paul, Do you use the Bryston crossover to adjust the subwoofer?

EricW
16-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Hi Paul:

That's a very nice system. Who did the artwork above the one speaker? I really like it.

Eric

Paul G Smith
17-09-2010, 09:33 AM
Very nice Paul, Do you use the Bryston crossover to adjust the subwoofer?
Yes. I used to use the built-in B&W crossover, then I bought a used Bryston crossover, and bypassed the internal one. The difference was amazing!
the settings I have arrived on are a little bizarre though, mainly due to my room acoustic:
Low Pass : 100Hz @ 12 dB/8ve ; High Pass : 75Hz @ 12 dB/8ve
This gives a small lift in overall response in the overlap region which adds a little more "warmth" and makes cellos and string bass fuller.
The B&W subs are extremely good, being clean, tight and at times earthmoving!

The artwork is by Philippe Aird, from Manchester,UK. http://www.phoenix-gallery.co.uk

Jason
27-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Hi Paul
I love the Harbeth Monitor 30 and own a pair my self along with the SHL5 and Monitor 40.1.

Have you tried placing the subwoofers on the floor, just wondered if this gives you better bass response in room being connected with the floor and off the wall where you turn table is placed.
Thanks Jason.

Paul G Smith
28-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Have you tried placing the subwoofers on the floor, just wondered if this gives you better bass response in room being connected with the floor and off the wall where you turn table is placed.
Thanks Jason.
Yes Jason, I started out with the subs on the floor. The problem here is that the floors are wooden suspended floors (we live on the 1st floor of an old building) and they are not of the strongest construction! I found out early on that the floor resonated in sympathy with and in opposition to the driving force from the subs. The walls are quite heavily constructed with stone, brick and concrete and are very solid, The colouration in the bass from the subs exciting the flooring was dominating the whole sound. There is also a concrete pillar which is part of the structure of the house.
The turntable is mounted on a steel shelf from Apollo hifi and is fastened with 6 expanding bolts into the concrete pillar. The subs are supported on two of the same shelves, but fastened into the walls. The subs weigh 32Kg each!

Even with 300W per side into the M30s and 1Kw in each sub, I cannot now create acoustic feedback from the turntable which is only 18" /45cm from one of the subs. Vinyl sounds just as clean as CD in the bass, and seems to have greater detail in the midrange than CD even using the Bryston pre's built-in DAC, which in itself is a superb conveyer of detail, as long as that detail is in the recording in the first place.
I have had to use a few bits of blu-tack here and there to suppress various rattles and rings in the room as everyone else has, I'm sure.

With concrete flooring of course everything changes! I suppose bare earth floors would be the best in a listening room! (ducks the flack from the wife)