Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Analysis of the social unrest, London Aug. 2011

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace Benefits with State-Paid Work?

Well here's a suggestion...

I believe you can make more money here in the UK from social security benefits than full time work on the minimum wage.

The UK is currently short of available work. It's short of work because there's not enough cash flowing around to pay workers; not because there's a shortage of work that could use doing.

Would it be entirely unacceptable to suggest replacing social security benefits with state-paid community work? Workers would be paid for the hours for which they are bothered to turn up and for them there would be no alternative income. It wouldn't cost the stateóbenefits cost the same anyway.

Those reliant on benefits would be naturally excluded from this idea.

Separating those reliant from those not is another difficulty and I'm not sure how to address that.

Is it easy for me in my comfortable, well paid working environment to suggest such a thing? Yes. But I've been there before - between losing a job and find another I cleaned a warehouse floor for a few months earning slightly less than the UK dole.

(I've just realised I sound like an extreme conservative, but politically I'm actually far out left).

There must be loads of things practically wrong with this idea... just haven't thought of them yet.
    Ben from UK. Harbeth Super HL5 owner.

Comment

Labour market statistics

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/lms/la...September-2011

The quarterly rise in unemployment occurred mainly among people aged from 18 to 24. The number of unemployed people in this age group rose by 77,000 over the quarter to reach 769,000.

Peter

Comment

Where is the cash leak?

Originally posted by BAS-H View Post
        Well here's a suggestion...

The UK is currently short of available work. It's short of work because there's not enough cash flowing around to pay workers; not because there's a shortage of work that could use doing.
        The interesting question then, if there's not enough cash "flowing around", is where is it going?

I am personally a strong proponent of the free market, but anything taken to an extreme tends to fall apart. The simple fact is that wealth and power tends to concentrate over time, because once you have it, it becomes ever easier to acquire more of it. But how to keep the money, as you say, "flowing" without going the opposite extreme of over-controlling the economy and destroying creativity and productivity?

I think one could do worse than approach society as if one were designing a loudspeaker. Everything is tradeoffs. Too much focus on one area will cause a loss in another. But that said, good engineering beats bad every time. And speakers don't design themselves.

Comment

Agree

Originally posted by EricW View Post
          Sound argument.
          Ben from UK. Harbeth Super HL5 owner.

Comment

Working...
          X