Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

You can't beat live funk music ....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can't beat live funk music ....

I don't think you can! As I mentioned here, the last Friday of most months is the highlight for me .... my chums The Blunter Brothers playing a 9 piece jazz/funk band just ten minutes drive from Harbeth in a baronial lodge. I took some (poor quality) videos last Friday. The brass section is fabulous - they're all fabulous actually. As band leader Dave knows I'm "into sound" he checks with me during the evening that it all sounds OK; it always does: he has a very good ear for a great sound. Shame the trumpeter of 15 years has just taken a break. These chaps have been playing together for nearly 20 years. The pianist, a recent member, is blind. Jerry, the vocalist is always very friendly.

The camera microphone doesn't do justice to the dynamics of live brass which, incidentally, just does not reproduce correctly on polypropylene coned speakers. There isn't enough 'bite': the polypropylene sound is too soft and airless in the critical brass-energy region.

Loading the player ...

Loading the player ...

>
    Attached Files
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Boogie on down, Alan!!

They sound great - funky horns are the best (the brass kind, not the ones used in speaker cabinets). One of my favorite bands is Tower of Power, and every time they come to town, I always check them out.

This kind of music is so much fun live - the Blunter Brothers ought to hop over to NYC sometime! Everything is so serious over here - these guys sound like fun :-)

Comment

Funk, jazz and Caribbean rythms in one musical project.

One of the examples from rich local musical scene, there are so many bands and constellations in our regional capital city that change in time it is difficult to track all of them.

Live recording from Radio RAM Wroclaw - Lion Vibrations band, as I can recall they started in mid of 90's with reggae fascination but drifted in their style into more sophisticated mix of funk, urban, jazz and caribbean rythms and sounds:

This piece above was the tribute to Maceo Parker and Miles Davis

Worth listening - Lion Vibrations' "Friends" album , released in the middle of 2014 - promomix link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMupGfLQbmo

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
      X