Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Unexpected Revolution in Britain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When the Revolution comes ...

The revolution can only be expected when the money runs low, and the “fresh out of college” pseudo Marxists start to understand that earning a dollar means more than regurgitating ideas which are no longer fashionable, except in North Korea.

Comment

I personally believe this to have a grain of truth in it. It may be hard for you overseas to believe this but what many perceive here is that airtime is given to many other causes, rarely is a Christian view heard.

'BBC biased against Christianity'. Like many things in life, when it's finally snuffed out we'll sorely miss it.

And because we believe in the intrinsic worth of the 'BBC monitor concept', we here will just keep making what we're good at and you want regardless of fashion or fad.
      Alan A. Shaw
      Designer, owner
      Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

The left/right argument .... should be 'sensible/stupid' or 'stupid/sensible'?

The "Labour" government in Great Britain may well have been a dire failure in many respects. However, it always distresses me to see people lining up along "left/right" battle lines. I'm really not sure that those labels mean much any more. There are excesses at both ends. Personally, intellectually lazy and self-righteous leftists (particularly academic ones) often drive me bonkers. But looking at North American politics over the last decade or more, I think there's a fair case to be made that right-wing ideologies have done far more damage, particularly in the US (and those countries who have borne the brunt of its military adventures, while the citizens back home get to keep paying the bills). When you look at bank bailouts, untendered military contracts and so on, I'd say it's pretty clear that powerful corporate "free enterprise" interests have sucked at the public trough as effectively, if not far more so, than e.g. public sector workers.

I don't want to take sides, at least not left/right sides. How about we make the demarcation sensible/stupid instead, or something like that? No one seems to have a monopoly on either of those qualities.

Comment

"The lifestyle choice that Britons must make" - Daily Telegraph

Originally posted by EricW View Post
          ... it always distresses me to see people lining up along "left/right" battle lines. I'm really not sure that those labels mean much any more. ... How about we make the demarcation sensible/stupid instead, or something like that? No one seems to have a monopoly on either of those qualities.
          I agree that Left/Right are confusing classifications that, in the middle ground are very blurred.

I associate 'Left' with a social awareness that says that the state must be responsible for doing as much thinking for the individual as possible. For a proportion of the population who are truly incapable of looking after themselves through health or other issues that is not only reasonable but just. But the chronic problem we see here was rather well summarised in the leader column of last Saturday's Daily Telegraph here. The outgoing government deliberately set about creating a dependency culture, whereby the state made millions dependent upon hand-outs. Those in receipt of cash included a goodly percentage who were then trapped with zero motivation to look for work. And why would they?

If everyone knows of one scrounger that's one hell of a lot of scroungers that society is carrying. We know of one idle layabout who has drunk and fed himself into poor health at the taxpayer's expense, takes no responsibility for his well being, has separated from his hard working wife and been given an apartment by the local council (FOC). His entire existence is watching TV and filling himself with fast food brought by motorbike some ten miles. To top it all, due to his self imposed destruction at the taxpayers expense, he has now requested and been given a wheelchair - because he is so fat. And he is immensely proud of this wheelchair - which he doesn't need - and now has the idea that a home help (taxpayer paid) will save him even getting out of bed.

Under the previous regime, the ordinary working person dare not say the truth. The truth was - and is - that we are a society chasing the dream without the means of paying for it. Thank god, the pendulum has swung and ordinary people can comment on the state of things without fear. We have to create work. We have to get our young people used to the idea of a pay packet at the end of a week's work. And we have to teach personal financial management to youngsters before the credit card demon bites.

We must recreate the connection between personal responsibility, work and reward. I have always believed in 'little State, big People', not 'little People big State'. I guess, by implication, that means I support the middle ground not the extremes where the big State is inevitable.
          Alan A. Shaw
          Designer, owner
          Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

We need science and wisdom

Well, let me put it this way:

It happens that people -especially in my little troublesome country- have started to reject politics and politicians. It seems that the world's dramatic changes are growing threatening in many aspects, as to resources, population control, consumption/economy and health. These, taken into severe consideration, present the need to be handled with a very orthological and prophetical manner. We need scientists together with wisdom and common sense, not politicians... But this, in the other hand, requires much more social conscience than individual or "corporate" well being. Respect and preservation of national characteristics, but not nationalistic behaviors.

I can joyfully accept left & right for Harbeth speakers and amp balance knobs, birds' and planes' wings, directions and road lanes. But, in this new world coming up, not for social planning. This is tending to become a one-way choice, that of "save the planet, save mankind"... Before it's too late...
            Thanks for reading,
            Thanos

Comment

Originally posted by Thanos View Post
              ...I can joyfully accept left & right for Harbeth speakers and amp balance knobs, birds' and planes' wings, directions and road lanes...
              That's a good one! :-)

Sebastien

Comment

Working...
              X