Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Christmas: a tradition we must keep

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas: a tradition we must keep

Well, my granddaughter was well pleased with her meeting with Father Christmas last weekend, but my probing enquiry of him "Are you the real Father Christmas?" didn't go down well. Apparently, I'm in the Naughty Book now, and that's a worrying place to be. The world is a wonderful place .... when you're four!

Click image for larger version  Name:	FatherC2-sc.jpg Views:	1 Size:	333.0 KB ID:	69614

Should I be concerned?

Is this image visible to those reporting that recent images are invisible?
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

... and there was me thinking Santa was hiding behind a great big pile of snow in Haywards Heath Shopping Centre. Did you tell your granddaughter that the tooth fairy is just her mum sneaking into her room at night when she's asleep to put a sixpence (plus inflation) under he pillow? At 53 I'm still searching for a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

Comment

Originally posted by ssfas View Post
      ... and there was me thinking Santa was hiding behind a great big pile of snow in Haywards Heath Shopping Centre. Did you tell your granddaughter that the tooth fairy is just her mum sneaking into her room at night when she's asleep to put a sixpence (plus inflation) under he pillow? At 53 I'm still searching for a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.
      Not H.H. but Tredegar House near Cardiff, here.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/tre...tredegar-house

I think you are being far too modest. A man in his early fifties who can luxuriate practically every night with live culture is a man who needs no supplementary income!
      Alan A. Shaw
      Designer, owner
      Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Originally posted by A.S. View Post
        Not H.H. but Tredegar House near Cardiff, here.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/tre...tredegar-house

I think you are being far too modest. A man in his early fifties who can luxuriate practically every night with live culture is a man who needs no supplementary income!
        That's a long way to go to see Santa. Not much luxuriating here, working 24/7 and returning concert tickets to the box office. Maybe I'll get a day off on 25th. December is a bad time for concerts, all christamassy stuff, but my wife went to see the Nutcraker with a friend at the ROyal Ballet and thought it was brilliant. So maybe next year take her to the Sugar Plum Fairy instead of Santa. Christmas ballet was my first live music and it's a great introduction to music and dance.

Comment

I would add that all work does not make Jack a dull boy, as I have been listening through my desktop P3ESR for many hours daily and they are simply astonishingly good. They only get into a bit of difficulty with jazz bass, they seem to excel most with Baroque and vocal.

Comment

Can see the picture now, but was he a one-legged Santa?
            (Getting into the Christmas spirit tonight with Anthony Sher in King Lear. What could be less appropriate?)

Comment

Merry Christmas to you, folks!

That's a long way to go to see Santa. Not much luxuriating here, working 24/7 and returning concert tickets to the box office. Maybe I'll get a day off on 25th. December is a bad time for concerts, all christamassy stuff, but my wife went to see the Nutcraker with a friend at the Royal Ballet and thought it was brilliant. So maybe next year take her to the Sugar Plum Fairy instead of Santa. Christmas ballet was my first live music and it's a great introduction to music and dance.
              Some interesting point of view on Christmas time - http://www.dennisprager.com/jews-wish-merry-christmas/
              Another view here - http://www.sztetl.org.pl/en/cms/know...and-christmas/

The second one, written by rev. Dolin, as someone who came to Warsaw from far abroad is very good, but as we say "more papal as the Pope is" for me.

On Christmas time we never could wait to go and come to our grandpas who lived in not so distant, one of the oldest in Europe mining town. On the same floor, in the apartment vis-a vis there lived Jewish widow with children (her husband survived Shoah and resistance time but somehow did not cope the best with recovery from post-war Siberian treatment). Those older three children also could not wait for common meeting at first or second day of holidays and presents waiting for them although they were from rather orthodox but highly educated family. At this time we as the kids visited with carols all the neighbours but the warmest welcome was always by Mr. and Mrs. Fabian, old German Jews, who always waited with toys for us, I do not know how deep they had to dig to their pockets, but no one of us was ever ommited. Nevertheless it was proper time or already not the common lighting seven new candles on menorah by us and those very old warm-hearted couple was the one of the most joyous and celebratory moments.

The Christmas Song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaEedtRHklg
              Or the greatest rendition by Mel and one of the great moments in singing jazz- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjWQmtgxbMU

On 24th - 25th Dec. - Happy Hanukkah Time, Steven! Maybe get some more time off.

Merry Christmas to you all, folks!

BTW. Leonard Cohen's "You Want It Darker" at the top of our local, the most respected PR3 record chart ....

Comment

Thank you pkwba for the Christmas greetings. Reciprocated to one and all.

I decided to listen to these Belgian Christmas songs for organ accompaniment today - possibly because I was not aware that it was possible to make a nice tune in Flemish (apologies to Ivan in Antwerp).
                http://www.nl.fnac.be/a10250395/Jean...lgium-Cd-album

Anyway, started listening and I thought my P3ESR were broken as it sounded like bagpipes, not organ. Lo! and behold, it was bagpipes. What on earth are Belgians doing playing bagpipes? Alan, is this allowed? Is your cultural heritage being usurped?

Perhaps when Ivan is not sorting out HUG image problems, he can also resolve the bagpipes issue.

Comment

Now, when I'm logged in, the link is showing and working. If I'm not logged in the picture is displayed correctly, no link showing.

Comment

Thank you pkwba for the Christmas greetings. Reciprocated to one and all.

I decided to listen to these Belgian Christmas songs for organ accompaniment today - possibly because I was not aware that it was possible to make a nice tune in Flemish (apologies to Ivan in Antwerp).
                    http://www.nl.fnac.be/a10250395/Jean...lgium-Cd-album

Anyway, started listening and I thought my P3ESR were broken as it sounded like bagpipes, not organ. Lo! and behold, it was bagpipes. What on earth are Belgians doing playing bagpipes? Alan, is this allowed? Is your cultural heritage being usurped?

Perhaps when Ivan is not sorting out HUG image problems, he can also resolve the bagpipes issue.
                    1. It has been possible always, but the most known are the times of great Flemish Masters from XVth / XVI th century - http://www.gimell.com/recording-the-...h-masters.aspx
                    It was just there - Flanders, where new style of singing was developed...
                    Try also great singing in Swedish - e.g. Then Svenska Messan by J.H.Roman - Proprius Records PRCD 9920 (gem in my collection ).

2. They do the same playing bagpipes as most of people on area from Middle East, today Turkey and Persia up to Iberian Pennisula and the most northern outskirts of Europe in those times. In Poland itself there are still regions (Major Poland, Podhale, Silesia Highlands, Beskid) where bagpipes are as common as in Scotland. In 16th century bagpipes were popular in practically all our great Commonwealth from Black Sea to Baltic States, Jan Kochanowski (1530-1584) writes about three men playing bagpipes in region, where today this instrument is not so common. If you pasture goats or the sheep you are also familiar with bagpipes.

ATB

Comment

Here's an updated picture. This was the first time that Jessica had experienced a stylus on a (Windows Surface) tablet. She had great fun converting herself into a reindeer!

Image visible or not?

Click image for larger version

Name:	jessica_reindeer2016.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	69723
                      Alan A. Shaw
                      Designer, owner
                      Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Mince pies made.... time for a coffee and a look at permissions management in HUG. You should see the back end processes. Rules per membership category and then pages of rule exceptions. It's interesting to relate comments that images appear when not logged-in but disappear when logged in. That's because of rule exceptions. I think I can see what's going on. Next step, to prove this, is to adjust what I think are the permissions so that you will not see images at all unless you are logged-in. If that works, it proves a point.

Father Christmas in in the Newport Wales area with us right now.
                        Attached Files
                        Alan A. Shaw
                        Designer, owner
                        Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Logged in, but no mince pies {attachment. Merry Christmas everyone.

Comment

I also logged in,but not visible.Merry Christmas to Alan,Emma and all HUG members.
                            I wish you very successful 40 Anniversary Year.

Comment

Thank you. On behalf of all may we wish you individually and collectively season's greetings. Surrounded by ones family in the safety and comfort of the UK, let's not forget those alone and parents incapable of giving their children the magical time that's traditional. Imagine, just as one example, parents in Syria's troubled cities.

I'm so curious by the non-visibility of images since HUG was updated that I'll make time to try and understand it over the next days. As a matter of interest, can any member, logged in see images in this or any other thread?

From what I have observed myself, the reason members report that they can see images when not logged is is because their browser has cached the image from a view during a previous successful log-in. Clear your browser's cache, and not logged-in, the image will vanish.
                              Alan A. Shaw
                              Designer, owner
                              Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Working...
                              X