Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

No time for music

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No time for music

At this time of year it's just films, films, films ... I wonder why? I've lost count over the last few weeks, La La Land, Lion, Manchester by the Sea, Living, Fences, Hacksaw Ridge next week. I missed Finding Dory. La La Land and Manchester by the Sea both had superb soundtracks. That said, there seems to be a dearth of really good original soundtracks, or am I being nostalgic?

So La La Land got the big prize at the BAFTAs, not sure about that, but if it makes people smile and happy then that's a good film. By far the most memorable film of the year won best foreign language film, a Hungarian film called "Son of Saul". The Guardian called it excoriating. It was at times almost impossibly difficult to watch, but if you can, see it. In times of extremism, Nationalism and Fascism, it reminds us on an (in)human level where it can lead.

I think the early start to the year is like that due to the BAFTAS, Oscars etc.... I guess we've had The Grammys and The Brits are coming up in the UK but I tend to think these are a platform for artists with a massive machine behind them... I've found a lot of the artists I listen to are now using Pledge Music to raise money to make the music THEY want to make, not a record company.

You're right about soundtracks though...I think the last I really like was Drive and that's a few years ago now.
    Emma Smith
    Brand Manager
    Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Just as I mention it, Gramophone Magazine have just done a whole series of articles and interviews on the matter of film music. Unfortunately for subscribers only.

Comment

Simpler, happier, more contented and above all, more comfortable times. Sigh.

Time to hunt down the polo neck methinks and retreat into the certainties of the 70s? Is there shame it that?
        Alan A. Shaw
        Designer, owner
        Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Gosh, some people do watch a lot of films!
          We go to the cinema from time to time, but listen to
          lots of music.

Comment

Working...
          X