Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Parkinson's disease - respite

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Parkinson's disease - respite

    For anyone witnessing the debilitating effect of Parkinson's Disease on a close family member, anything that makes simple tasks such as safely drinking from a hot cup possible again is to be welcomed.

    I watched a moving TV programme recently about a young graphic artist who was struck with Parkinsons at the shockingly young age of 30. It's fashionable to criticise 'experts' and large corporations, but they do have vast resources which allow them to point their energy at blue-sky projects, which have no guarantee of success. And so it is with this story.

    My son, who works for Microsoft filled me in on some of the background, and today has pointed out that the story concludes with a worked-up product. Hats off to Microsoft, this is a brilliant use of ingenuity and inexpensive technology, including, as you'll see from the video, salvaged tiny motor parts from mobile devices.

    I applaud experts. No amount of bar room banter, of which we are swamped these days, is a substitute for dogged intellect. And furthermore, this is just one of many projects that Microsoft has underway. Contrast that with the equally or even greater resources that another US computer corporation has available and wonder why that doesn't seem to be directed at anything other than outright profiteering. I'll remain a Windows user and with the thought that an atom of the profit from my purchases is being put to philanthropic use.


    YouTube here.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

  • #2
    Originally posted by A.S. View Post
    For anyone witnessing the debilitating effect of Parkinson's Disease on a close family member, anything that makes simple tasks such as safely drinking from a hot cup possible again is to be welcomed.

    I watched a moving TV programme recently about a young graphic artist who was struck with Parkinsons at the shockingly young age of 30. It's fashionable to criticise 'experts' and large corporations, but they do have vast resources which allow them to point their energy at blue-sky projects, which have no guarantee of success. And so it is with this story.

    My son, who works for Microsoft filled me in on some of the background, and today has pointed out that the story concludes with a worked-up product. Hats off to Microsoft, this is a brilliant use of ingenuity and inexpensive technology, including, as you'll see from the video, salvaged tiny motor parts from mobile devices.

    I applaud experts. No amount of bar room banter, of which we are swamped these days, is a substitute for dogged intellect. And furthermore, this is just one of many projects that Microsoft has underway. Contrast that with the equally or even greater resources that another US computer corporation has available and wonder why that doesn't seem to be directed at anything other than outright profiteering. I'll remain a Windows user and with the thought that an atom of the profit from my purchases is being put to philanthropic use.

    YouTube here.
    More sad this corporation you mention was found by two passionate persons, whose intention and mission was to break a lot of barriers and deliver modern digital technology to popular domestic use and small enterprises. Today they mercilessly strip bare youth and sponge on snobs with perfectly made toyish stuff which I could hardly name the most advanced as regards modern technology. C'est la vie ....

    ATB

    Comment


    • #3
      Indeed. And let's not forget Microsoft founder's humanitarian charity, the Gates Foundation.

      Do we see any of Microsoft's competitors showing altruism? And yet the odd thing is, that as a generalisation, those who are attracted to the alternatives tend to have an artistic bent, which often translates into a left of centre political view.
      Alan A. Shaw
      Designer, owner
      Harbeth Audio UK

      Comment


      • #4
        I know just one person with Parkinson's disease and have seen how that transformed the sprightly young man I knew as a youngster.

        Noting that achievement it is even more tremendously sad to see how genuine enterprise and intellect and are treated with scorn, a couple of days ago I read a comment on youtube (a repository of good, bad and very ugly), an individual was telling a school teacher they should be ashamed of themselves for promoting the myths of climate change to children.

        The problem is the emboldening of ignorant lay people fueled by propaganda snippets, memes and politics, and believing that they alone have special insight into truth claims when in reality they are simply in no position to make any judgement, it would be like me judging the details of an American football game (of which I know nothing, the game nor the 'politics' of) and expecting a level platform, time and consideration and respect (instead I'd be rightfully laughed out the bar) but at least I know I know nothing.

        Getting to know my C7ES3

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by acroyear View Post
          I know just one person with Parkinson's disease and have seen how that transformed the sprightly young man I knew as a youngster.

          Noting that achievement it is even more tremendously sad to see how genuine enterprise and intellect and are treated with scorn, a couple of days ago I read a comment on youtube (a repository of good, bad and very ugly), an individual was telling a school teacher they should be ashamed of themselves for promoting the myths of climate change to children.

          The problem is the emboldening of ignorant lay people fueled by propaganda snippets, memes and politics, and believing that they alone have special insight into truth claims when in reality they are simply in no position to make any judgement, it would be like me judging the details of an American football game (of which I know nothing, the game nor the 'politics' of) and expecting a level platform, time and consideration and respect (instead I'd be rightfully laughed out the bar) but at least I know I know nothing.
          Indeed. And the audio business is a living example of the extremely blurred lines between objective truth, personal truth and outright lies.

          As I said to the audience last week in Edinburgh more than once - 'don't believe me, go out and prove it for yourself...'. The total investment in equipment that is adequate to diagnose the technical reality of, say, tube amps v. solid state amps driving a speaker load, is about $150. Maybe less. The software is free or cheap as chips. What is required is a willingness to do some homework, to become a mini-expert, to be able to drive the test equipment and interpret the results. HUG could help there.

          There again, it's so much easier to discredit those in the know as having some hidden agenda and to carry on regardless. Brexit is the living embodiment of that mindset - a fantastically difficult problem trivialised and expert opinion - such as the British Ambassador to Europe - discredited, disgraced and in effect, dismissed. What could a man that close to the engine room know about the operation of the European engine? Obviously FA.

          Back to Microsoft and Parkinson's. The fact is that the equipment they devised and experiments made were with parts out of a scrap bucket. What is, I think, remarkable in this instance is that a global corporation with unimaginable resources has behaved as a Victorian man-in-shed might have been expected to do. There is nothing whatever in this project that couldn't have reasonably been anticipated by a hobbyist working at the end of his garden on a beer and chips budget. But the fact is, Parkinson's is a dreadful blight on many lives and that hobbyist didn't behave as expected even though this was a natural project for the DIYer. But it took a corporation, and a dedicated individual in that organisation, authorised by management to make the time available, to get stuck into the matter for no foreseeable commercial gain. I think that's remarkable. Let there be more of it. It doesn't exactly cover the little man fighting the system from his shed in glory does it. Dyson, the king of 'digital motors' missed an opportunity here.

          And let's see the mighty Apple Corporation demonstrating philanthropy. Or Samsung, or the rest.

          Bravo Microsoft. And from what I'm told, this is just one of many blue-sky projects underway at MS Research. Society needs healthy, profitable, resource rich corporations managed by enlightened individuals who have the time to return the favour to society. We should encourage success and applaud and report evidence of social concern in corporations. Not hound them for tax take.
          Alan A. Shaw
          Designer, owner
          Harbeth Audio UK

          Comment


          • #6
            I would encourage those with even a passing interest to take a cursory look at the Microsoft Mission Statement.

            The personal ethos of Microsoft’s current CEO, Satya Nadella, is deeply engrained in what drives the company today; ‘to empower every person and every organisation on the planet to achieve more’ is no empty, wishy-washy tag line. Thousands of employee hours across technical, engineering, social science, process improvement (to name but a few) disciplines are actively diverted into altruistic and philanthropic initiatives across Microsoft’s global subdivisions each year –with projects like the Parkinsons concept given the air-time to move from ‘incubation’ into something more advanced, thereby solving real-world medical and social problems.


            There is certainly a lot of pride working under a leader who’s personal morals and ethics guide the company’s own ambitions.

            As previously mentioned and in the interests of transparency, I am indeed a
            full time Microsoft employee

            Comment


            • #7
              Would be intereresting to see what Microsoft's competitor has as a Mission Statement. Just about shareholder value?
              Alan A. Shaw
              Designer, owner
              Harbeth Audio UK

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by A.S. View Post
                Would be interesting to see what Microsoft's competitor has as a Mission Statement. Just about shareholder value?
                https://www.inc.com/jim-schleckser/a...n-from-it.html

                Comment

                Working...
                X