Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Congratulations on a personal 'diamond jubilee' for A.S.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations on a personal 'diamond jubilee' for A.S.

Happy Birthday to A.S.!

Congratulations Alan.

Comment

A very Happy Birthday and many more of them, young lad.

Comment

Happy Birthday Alan!

Comment

We have a rule in our family that you have to visit a new country on quinquennial birthdays. I have one coming up next year. All the best on your special day Alan.

Comment

Yes indeed! Very best wishes Alan.

Comment

Happy 60th, and as someone who turned this illustrious age a couple months ago it does seem possible for life seems to get better as we age. And congrats on doing great work that brings joy to others.

Comment

Well done Alan and thank you for the most wonderful speakers I've ever owned

Comment

Well, what a wonderful and unexpected surprise from HUG! I am honoured to be the recipient of your good wishes. Thank you very much what what is received as affection and appreciation. Without you, our customers, my life would have been utterly different these past thirty years, and I regularly count my luck stars that a little talent has been usefully directed at a worthwhile life-long endevour.

Actually, it's a milestone whereby one takes stock of ones life, the mistakes (plenty) and occasional successes. Not in a moribund way, but time to be utterly realistic with an awareness of the passage of time. As I was reminded today, ten years ago (seems like about four) that I was racing round an airfield in an Aston Martin, egged on towards 200mph with the end of the track racing towards me.

If you're interested, I'd like to share some pictures take during family celebrations (and especially of my granddaughter) but I don't know how to, seeing that we have problems with images here.

I messaged our web master and he has said that VBulletin are 'aware' of the image problems and have been for months. They do not offer a paid-for support option (or we would have cheerfully taken it long ago) so he has placed an advert on a job notice board for freelance software engineers to debug the VB code. In other words, we pay someone to fix third party commercial software.

In the meantime, cheers!
                  Alan A. Shaw
                  Designer, owner
                  Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

That picture is hilarious and a quintessential setting though I have never been to the south east aside from London, a pint of a local bitter would be perfect on that occasion. PS The weather looking entirely normal for a UK July, cloudy with jumpers on!
                    Getting to know my C7ES3

Comment

Belated best birthday wishes, Alan! 60 years old? Blimey! Besides creating wonderful speakers, thank you for all that you've done in creating this forum, which is an oasis of rational, civilized discussion (audio and otherwise) in an unsettled time. I'll raise a glass and wish you many many more!

Comment

We were scretly hoping that your grandaughter's visit, today, could solve the posting problems...

It used to be quite common here in Brazil for stores, on their respective "birthdays", to come up with an ad saying: "the birthday is ours, but the present is yours!"

I can't help but feel the same about you and the speakers you make. Thanks!

And, since we're at it, happy birthday!

Comment

We wish you a very Happy Birthday. You and your team always made wonderful speakers. I would like to say thank you all of your effort and amazing achievement. I thankful to HUG as well. Which is completely change my life. Thank you Alan! God bless you.

Comment

Originally posted by A.S. View Post
                            As I was reminded today, ten years ago (seems like about four) that I was racing round an airfield in an Aston Martin, egged on towards 200mph with the end of the track racing towards me.
                            Are you suggesting that "A.S." might actually stand for "Alias Stig"?

Comment

Thank you again. Jessica phoned me when she returned to her home in Newport, Wales (a 3.5 hour drive) and thanked me for 'coming to your wonderful birthday party...' May there be many more.

I was treated to two outings by my family .... the first was quite the opposite to the treat for my 50th: being slowly transported through the Sussex countryside whilst enjoying afternoon tea and, of course, a scone on a vintage steam train which runs on a line terminated under the 1964 Beeching Cuts when 2000 stations and 9000 miles of track were abruptly terminated as unprofitable. Lucklily, there are many preservation societies which were formed to preserve and maintain some of these lines including, our nearby Bluebell Railway. We can hear the stream whistle from the factory when the wind is in the right direction.

Here are a few pictures. During our vist to the engine, the trainee stoker (red tie) told me that it had taken him ten years to become qualified (training every weekend) to keep the engine in power and to be sure that there was always enough coal in the engine for the load being carried.

He explained that to eventually qualify as a driver would take another five years. It must never be forgotten that a pressurised steam engine has hugely destructive power, both in moving mass and in decompressive power. The boilers are very internally nut-and-bolt examined and certified every year by independent experts.The operating pressure of the Wealden Rambler is 250 psi. Needless to say, the railway is fastidious about public safety.

Pictures here.
                              Alan A. Shaw
                              Designer, owner
                              Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Working...
                              X