Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Decca's 20th anniversary

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decca's 20th anniversary

Hi People,

Alan thought that this should be up here for you guys and girls to see it. It was held in London and we all discussed things that we had forgotten about! The tape library is now returned from Germany and is opposite Bermondsy prison! I have some pics of Decca taken just before the building closed and hopefully, they'll show. So enjoy!

The pictures are of me and my department, Tony Hawkins (boss) Pascal, Craig, and Peter and the other pics are of general state of the building.

Chris Burmajster

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chris Decca 2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	73069Click image for larger version

Name:	Decca 5-8.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	2.45 MB
ID:	73070Click image for larger version

Name:	Decca 9-12.jpg
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	73071Click image for larger version

Name:	Decca 13-16.jpg
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	73072Click image for larger version

Name:	Decca17-20.jpg
Size:	2.74 MB
ID:	73073Click image for larger version

Name:	Decca21-24.jpg
Size:	2.84 MB
ID:	73074Click image for larger version

Name:	Decca24-27.jpg
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	73075
    Attached Files

Good to hear from your Chris.

I recall visiting you not so long before Decca London closed and the library was transported to Germany, following the Polygram takeover. Are you saying that the entire, half-century (?) analogue tape library has been repatriated to London and that there are tapes there which have not, as yet, been digitised? That would be a surprise.

I also recall, vividly, when I asked if you could take me to the master reels of Peter Grimes, which you found on the library shelf, and I held. You will know that the Walthamstow Town Hall, where Grimes was recorded, is working up an anniversary story about the recording, drawing largely on my investigations (reported on HUG) for thr 60th anniversary of the recording next year. They'd love to have you involved!

Have you any idea what Decca actually plan to do with that tape archive or is it a hot potato that gets passed around, no one willing to be the last one to hold it, or dump it?

CHRIS: You'll need to reattach your photos. The best way seems to be using the camera icon. Suggest you try just one, first. AFter the HUG upgrade, attaching photos has been a strange process, and even I don't remember how to do it. Can someone help (I'm off the Munich now)?
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Hi Alan,

Yes, the tape library is back from Germany. It went to Germany just after we closed. It's back in London now. Yes there are tapes that have now been digitised. It's a hardware problem. We don't have many IVC machines and hardly any U Matics, so the analogues are re-used time after time. If Decca re-launches then the tape library will be used more often than it is now. You are right - no one is taking responsibility for it. I have attached the photos.

Chris Burmajster

Comment

I can't see any of the images, irrespective of whether I am logged in or not. I have tried Google Chrome, Microsoft Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox, but all to no avail. I can see the links just fine, but when I click on them an empty window opens up. It's somewhat frustrating being unable to see the images. And this happens in other threads as a matter of routine.

Comment

Same here.

Comment

Hi Alan,

I've uploaded the photos again. Each one opens.

Chris

Comment

Nope. Nothing here.

Comment

Nothing here as well. No thumbnail images show up, just an icon. And clicking on the file name or the image icon opens a new window/tab that is empty.

Comment

Logged in I have thumbnails and click links to individual larger images.
                  Alan A. Shaw
                  Designer, owner
                  Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Same problem here.-jim

Comment

Originally posted by A.S. View Post
                      Logged in I have thumbnails and click links to individual larger images.
                      Unfortunately I can't see or link to just like HUG-sters above. Worth to mend this technical issue, all the more the subject is noteworthy indeed ....

Comment

I have it on my list to get to the bottom of this image in post issue over the next week or so. We'll need to tackle it step by step. Oddly enough, I can see all images, logged in or out.
                        Alan A. Shaw
                        Designer, owner
                        Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Working...
                        X