Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Using the SEARCH facility

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the SEARCH facility

Hi

How can I search for 3 letter words?

I want to search for low level listening as in low volume levels. When I search for just level listening, I get references to the speakers being level or your ear being level with the tweeter etc. Not exactly what I had in mind.

Searchin on low, by itself, finds no records. Searching on low level, seems to eliminate the low and only gives references to level.

Am I doing anything wrong? If not, how can this be fixed?

Jay

Re: How to use the SEARCH facility

Try again.

Go to the SEARCH page (between New Posts and Quick Links on the red bar at the top of the User Group pages).

Select Advanced Search ....enter your search. At the bottom of the entry page ....

>>> Select "Show Results as Posts"

>>> Tick the box "Also search in child forums".
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Re: Using the SEARCH facility

Thanks Alan. I was not using the advanced option when I tried it. It worked now.

Comment

Advanced search?

Hi, Alan,

since some time the "Advanced Search" is missing on all my browsers. Could be reintroduced?

Regards,
        Peter

Comment

Activity stream?

Originally posted by chirhonix View Post
          Hi, Alan,

since some time the "Advanced Search" is missing on all my browsers. Could be reintroduced?

Regards,
          Peter
          Yes I agree and would add the current default of "Activity Stream" doesn't work very well with my PC (Windows 7) and browser (IE 11). Most of the time the links to the new message don't do anything.

Comment

Activity stream problems

Originally posted by Don Leman View Post
            Yes I agree and would add the current default of "Activity Stream" doesn't work very well with my PC (Windows 7) and browser (IE 11). Most of the time the links to the new message don't do anything.
            I'm having the same problem with Activity Stream. I'm using a Mac with Safari and Chrome. I wrote the board administrator a few days ago concerning this issue, but did not hear anything back.

Comment

Mouse exploring

The links work if you very carefully "explore" their location. And then the first item often looks washed out.

Comment

Difficult

Yes they do, but that is extremely cumbersome.

Comment

Phone/Mac issues

Same issue while browsing on my phone and Mac

{Moderator's comment: And those exact issues are what, please?}

Comment

Missing Advanced Serach

To the moderator:

the "advanced Search" button beneath the search input field is missing since weeks. I could use it to search for the latest (1 day) posts and see directly in which threads there was new info.

Now I have to use the "What's new?" function and that leads to a time sorted list of entries, not thread sorted. I'm not fond of it. Furthermore the links are very tiny and often it's difficult to hit them. It's the same on Firefox and Chrome on Linux and my Android phone. The 1st link looks often washed out.

Comment

Missing from browser

I looked into the page source and the entry is there:

<li><a href="search.php" accesskey="4">Advanced Search</a></li>

but it's not displayed in the browser.

Comment

I.E. Compatibility setting for HUG

Originally posted by chirhonix View Post
                        To the moderator:

the "advanced Search" button beneath the search input field is missing since weeks. I could use it to search for the latest (1 day) posts and see directly in which threads there was new info.

Now I have to use the "What's new?" function and that leads to a time sorted list of entries, not thread sorted. I'm not fond of it. Furthermore the links are very tiny and often it's difficult to hit them. It's the same on Firefox and Chrome on Linux and my Android phone. The 1st link looks often washed out.
                        I've found a bit of a work around for those using IE. While on the forum site, go up to the browser menu and click on tools, then select "Compatibility View Settings" then add harbeth.co.uk to the list. That adds the old menu where you can choose new posts and it gets displayed in the old format.

Comment

Site change?

Thank you Don Leman,
                          but on Linux I have no IE. In Firefox or Chrome I think there is no such option. Maybe in the last 2 to3 weeks there was a change on the site which made that difference that the option to klick the advance search buttom.

Comment

Advance search

I've had the exact same issues over the last couple of weeks: the "What's New" button gives you Activity Stream, instead of the list of threads with recent activity, which is much more user friendly (at least for me).

And "Advanced Search" is gone, so there's no way to reliably summon up the list of threads with recent activity.

Comment

New layout

Originally posted by Nahtanoj View Post
                              I've had the exact same issues over the last couple of weeks: the "What's New" button gives you Activity Stream, instead of the list of threads with recent activity, which is much more user friendly (at least for me).

And "Advanced Search" is gone, so there's no way to reliably summon up the list of threads with recent activity.
                              Same here. I much preferred the previous layout. The new one is finicky, and more difficult to search and to navigate.

Comment

Working...
                              X