Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Mcintosh MA7900 with Harbeth40.2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mcintosh MA7900 with Harbeth40.2

Hello,
    Iím seriously considering to buy the new harbetk 40.2, but I have some doubts about the synergy with my current amplifier, the Macintosh MA7900 (200 W). Do you have experience about this set-up? Unfortunately there is no possibility to test it at my Harbeth dealer...
    Thanks in an advance

Originally posted by RicardoCFF View Post
    Hello,
    Iím seriously considering to buy the new Harbeth 40.2, but I have some doubts about the synergy with my current amplifier, the Macintosh MA7900 (200 W).
    IMO, that amp should be fine.
    A conservative 200W output will let you reach a peak sound level of about 110dB and the power guard circuit will prevent clipping.
    If you do see the power guard warning lights flashing frequently, then you might consider getting an amplifier with a higher power output, such as the MC452, or even a pair of the MC601.

Comment

There is no reason why this should not work well. It is a quality amplifier with quite a bit of power. If the room is ballroom size you may want more power, but that is about it.

Comment

There will be no problems using the Mac with the 40.2 but why can't you take it along to the dealer for an audition ?

Comment

I also think 200 watts should be adequate for any normal listening room. But in any case, since I think speakers take priority over electronics, I would get the M40.2s if you like them (who wouldn't?). If for any reason you don't like the Macintosh with them, change amplifiers (though, again, I can't imagine a problem).

Comment

Thanks. I will audition the 40.2 this week ater a 1h45m flight...

Comment

Thanks. The amplifier damping factor is little bit low (http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/image...ue_04-2016.pdf). Hope it will be sufficient to control the 40.2Ö

Comment

Originally posted by RicardoCFF View Post
                The amplifier damping factor is little bit low (http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/image...ue_04-2016.pdf). Hope it will be sufficient to control the 40.2Ö.
                That value of damping factor should be sufficient.
                The relatively low value is a result of a design decision by McIntosh to use an output coupling/matching autoformer.

A.S. has previously cited the following article, written by noted speaker authority Floyd Toole, which asserts that a damping factor >20 will be adequate: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/damptoole.htm

A very low value of damping factor is an indicator that the output impedance of the amplifier is rather high.
                For example, you may observe that tube type amplifiers commonly have a damping factor in the single digits - if the manufacture even quotes that specification.
                The issue with a high value of output impedance (as evidenced by a low damping factor) is that the interaction with the non-linear impedance of the speaker will cause potentially audible and unwanted variations in overall frequency response. Some claim to like the effect, but it doesn't fit the definition of high fidelity sound reproduction.

Comment

Working...
                X