Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Hello from near Toronto

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from near Toronto

I live in Guelph Ontario, not far from Toronto, and look forward to learning from this community. Hopefully I can also contribute something useful.

F.

Welcome Frank! I hope you enjoy being part of the HUG community.
    Emma Smith
    Brand Manager
    Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Thanks Emma,

I am already enjoying the HUG and learning from it. I have found its members to be very helpful as I put my "music listening system" together.

F.

Comment

Hi Frank and welcome to the HUG.

Which Harbeth do you have or are considering ?

Comment

Thanks Dave, I have bought some 30.1s to use with my Quad 405 mk2 and 44. I am focusing on analog sources, and It should be a very musical system when I get a chance to use it in the next month or so when I move to a new place..

F.

Comment

Just treat yourself to some digital sources as well, if you want the best sound. BBC Radio 3 is now available online in full cd red book resolution, and apparently e.g. Spotify will soon also stream in full CD quality (use a Chromecast as a streamer - it certainly beats my old Linn LP12).

Comment

Willem,
              I am sure there is lots of good stuff available digitally as things develop technologically, but probably would need a new set of electronics to give these sources their due. Have quite a lot of digital equipment to keep up to date (or not) in other fields, But for playing music peacefully without worrying about all that, I am quite happy with my relatively simple analogue system - (plus an old NAD CD player to play the several CDs that I don't want to abandon).
              F.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankMS View Post
                Willem,
                But for playing music peacefully without worrying about all that, I am quite happy with my relatively simple analogue system -
                Which turntable and phono cartridge do you have?

Comment

An old Rega with a moving coil, and an even more venerable Thorens with a moving magnet. They are out getting checked over before I put the system together again in my new place.
                  F.

Comment

I was in Toronto in 2008 to see Gordon Lightfoot in Concert.
                    Wonderful City. Wonderful people.

Comment

Thank you. Gorden Lightfoot is still going!

F.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankMS View Post
                        Thank you. Gordon Lightfoot is still going!

F.
                        Yes, he came to England last May.

I'm afraid he has lost his 'highs' and found singing some of the older songs difficult.

He is suffering from Emphysema, due to a lifetime of smoking.

I've followed GL since the early '70s. His lyrics are superb.

I can always find a line from one of his songs to fit any situation I'm in.

There's a line from his song 'I'm Not Supposed to Care' which I send to people when they're going on
                        Holiday.

' I wish you good spaces in the far away places you go '

Comment

If I may chime in... There is something about Canadian musical talent that is worth its weight in gold. I mean, some of the most accomplished names in pop/rock are Canadian and I don't mean just L Cohen and J Mitchell. Mine favourite Canadian 'rocker' is Bruce Cockburn. His 'You haven't seen nothing yet' is a marvel. And for those of us who are into jazz certainly worth mentioning is the veritable Paul Bley. This is all super weight category in terms of talent. Of course there countless others... Great coutry by the way - it could teach both Europe and US a lot of things.

Comment

If it matters the correct title of Bruce's album, of course, is 'You've never seen everything'.

Comment

Yes, the Canadians are just so helpful.
                              Lost in Toronto, I was helped by two most attractive Canadian ladies as I wandered down
                              Yonge Street.
                              As for Niagara Falls.
                              Wow !
                              Last edited by Miles MG; 15-05-2017, 09:07 PM. Reason: The spelling of Yonge St.

Comment

Working...
                              X