Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

HUG-HEALTH: Physical exercise - do you need it and do you get it?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Processed food - the real enemy within ...

Originally posted by A.S. View Post
    ...I amaze myself how little I know about proper diet....
    I was of course joking about a diet of champagne and caviare. But there is a very serious point made in the 'daily fitness' blog concerning diet. I hadn't really appreciated it until a few days ago, but we (westerners, incl. me) do eat a lot of processed food muck.

To take one example, white bread. Now I thought I was eating rather well when most days I'd eat a couple of seeded (white) bread rolls for lunch. The seeds scattered on the top of the rolls gave the impression of healthy eating. But according to health-trainer Victoria, this is an illusion; white bread is junk food. In audio terms I've fallen for the very same psychological trick of a meagre, thin copper core covered with a beautiful sheath: the functional heart is rotten.

So her challenge this week has been to observe just how much processed food we eat. Now this may be just a western problem - I can't imagine Chinese or Japanese fill themselves with processed rubbish - but try it yourself. As you pick-up that tasty, attractively packed treat in the supermarket ask yourself how much processing has it undergone. If, like me, you can begin to appreciate yourself as a victim of food marketing (which knows all the pathways to the pleasure centres in the brain) then maybe we can rebalance our food intake in the interests of overall longer and better health.

Surely the game plan has to be this: an extended old age is only fulfilling when we are in the best possible health which allows us to enjoy music even when our other senses have significantly faded. We, and we alone - not the government, neighbours, friends and family - are responsible for the quality and quantity of nutrients we absorb. We surely must take personal responsibility for what we consume.

So, the watchword is ..... closely monitor how much processed food you eat! Simple as that: no need to worry about the nutritional small print on the package - just classify the foodstuff as processed or not. It's really rather shocking.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Poor nutrition, a worldwide problem in shades of grey

Originally posted by A.S. View Post
      Now this may be just a western problem - .
      Our bodies take longer to break down complex, less refined food, drip feeding energy off it more evenly than getting a quick hit from say white bread (versus wholemeal). We burn through processed food quickly and it sets off the cycle of munching in between meals and not eating well when we should be. Sugars are the ultimate refined carbs and the worrying thing is that its hidden in a lot of things we take for granted eg. Mayonnaise, muesli bars etc.

Food in East Asia (and South East Asia) is probably not best examples of nutrition in my opinion. Being originally poor, carbohydrates were the main component, made delectable with salt, oil, frying or condiments (containing any of those). Japanese diet in general, in my opinion, can really be very unhealthy. Depending on the region, its tends to be overly salty or fatty (penchant for marbled beef cooked in butter for example). Chinese diets are also patchy, being very oily and fat in Beijing and salty in the south. Think the major positive take outs [take aways] from Asia is green leafy vegetables, tofu, soups (in one form becoming the iconic “Brands essence of chicken”).

Rice is actually not very healthy compared with potatoes. Rice is too refined. Spuds have more fibre and are more complex.

Think healthy eating really is personal conscious choice and determination, not unique to any culture.

Comment

(Retired video) Harbeth Christmas Special! Getting fitter for fidelity - Part 1

Being fitter means listening better! Or so we believe! Doing some exercise is better than doing nothing at all. Do yourself a favour* and start and end the day with a really good stretch. Make it your New Year's Resolution!

We present the first of a series of videos made by Victoria, our local professional physical trainer and tailored to the needs of audiophiles, even sitting and listening.

*Please check with your doctor or medical professional before undertaking any exercise.

NOTE: This seasonal video has been replaced with a general version - please refer to post #39 for the all-year-long exercise-with-me video.
        Harbeth PR,
        Harbeth UK

Comment

Sweating is (seemingly) the secret of proper exercise ....

... or so I am told. That combined with a reddened face evidencing blood actually flowing and temporarily out of breath So, if you are going to make a New Year resolution to invest not only in your music but your own body, do consider this point!

Obviously I am not a medical professional, merely someone who has belatedly discovered that during the years 11-18, I really should not have been skiving PE to get all excited about Leak Stereo 30s, Quad 11s and home made speakers ... I should have been out on the rugby pitch being a real man! Incredibly now that PE is considered core curriculum, only twice in the seven years was I stopped by the PE master in the corridor who asked me 'do I know you boy?'. I can't remember what old flannel I gave him, but he left me alone for years round the back of the bike sheds with HiFi News. What a fool I was! Oh well, it's never too late!

Loading the player ...

My personal resolutions for 2012 are ....
          • Drink more pure water every day (like most people I do not drink enough water)
          • Eat more fresh fruit every day
          • Do some simple stretching exercises every day at least once (see post #33)

The healthier I am the better job I can do for you. The healthier you are the better your hearing and the more speakers we sell! A symbiotic relationship for our mutual benefit. The cost is zero.
          Alan A. Shaw
          Designer, owner
          Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

The Harbeth Physical Fitness Regime makes a start .....

Much though we really appreciate the investment you make in Harbeth speakers, don't forget a little investment in yourself.

The Christmas special is now ready to be replaced. We are starting on the journey with simple steps to greater health. The Green Tea special is coming soon.

Watch this space. Videos in the can and for upload in next few days.

Comment

Warm advice from the olive eaters of Greece!

Well done and said Alan! Wishing You All a Happy and Peaceful New Year from Greece! Watch out everybody, Your Health is everything You have! Take care of it, on a daily basis.

In this small corner of the world, at least we have increased our physical condition due to the ...crisis! Never before have I seen so many bicycles in the streets! Expensive meat has been vastly replaced by legumes, which are far better than any meat as they contain high value vegetable proteins. And, of course, less drinking and smoking.

As Alan says, remember fruits! And a tiny piece of advice: Eat them, don't squeeze them, I mean especially the citrous fruits. For example, there is much more vitamin C concentrated in the white section of the flesh of an orange, just underneath its orange skin, than in all the rest of its body. Try to replace any kind of butter used in cooking with raw olive oil, that's a very Greek advice, even though I see contemporary Greeks haning forgotten their parents advice...

And do listen to more music instead of watching TV. It's been more than two years now that we were watching the TV news here, always referring to financial measures and problems. Always about money and recession... Now, that's enough! Turn it off, I'm going to listen to what my SHL5s say...

Warmest regards from Athens,
              Thanos

Comment

Actually doing it.

For the past 17 years, I have been without any form of PE. But thanks to this thread, I just started my favorite sport - badminton. *Just realized I am no longer young and right now nursing my swollen wrist and aching ankle but I breath better and the desire to smoke lessens.*

Thank you Harbeth. You managed to cajole me to do something that my wife been trying for years. Maybe, the video clips did the trick.

ST

{Moderator's comment: Fantastic news! Well done. That first step is a gigantic one from the sweet spot to the sweat spot. (That's rather neat). More videos made and will be uploaded very soon. Keep watching! Victoria will be delighted when Alan tells her tomorrow; she collects reformed souls.}

Comment

Simple yoga with my Harbeths

I am too doing far lesser Physical Exercise than necessary in my age.

I like to play badminton as well but due to it being a group PE, not easy to keep it going. But, now together with my wife, we are attending an elementry yoga class once a week and it is really good. For almost 2 months, I am able to perform some simple yoga while listening to my Harbeth, either sitting on the sweet spot or stand on floor. My main issue is frozen muscles on my left shoulder. Now my shoulder is much better with relaxed muscle. I also realised my lower back muscle seem stronger now I am able me to sit, stand and walk with spine straight up without feeling tired.

Very happy and music seem become nicer too.
                  "Bath with Music"

Comment

Tennis - ideal exercise in middle age

For those more interested in sport than just pure exercise, I can recommend tennis. I took it up aged 45. I had never considered it......most people think of Federer/Nadal/Murray etc charging round a singles court if "tennis" is mentioned.

Most clubs have a significant number of middle-aged members & they play doubles most of the time, far less strenuous. Played to a good standard it can still be a fast game, working the body hard, but most people are 'social' players, some playing into their 80's.....

Comment

Avoid processed meat

Article in The Independent about consuming processed meat.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Exercise and the passing of years

Originally posted by STHLS5 View Post
                        ?...*Just realized I am no longer young and right now nursing my swollen wrist and aching ankle .
                        .}

Just a reminder to those who want to go back active after a long break. You have to build you strength slowly and do not think you are still in your youths. I just spend another two hours of badminton yesterday night and I have aggravated my injuries which I suffered two weeks ago.What should have been healed within 3 or 4 days is now taking more than two weeks to heal. Time to face the reality - I am getting old and way past my prime.

ST

Comment

Remember a proper, slow warm-up

Originally posted by STHLS5 View Post

Just a reminder to those who want to go back active after a long break. You have to build you strength slowly and do not think you are still in your youths. I just spend another two hours of badminton yesterday night and I have aggravated my injuries which I suffered two weeks ago.What should have been healed within 3 or 4 days is now taking more than two weeks to heal. Time to face the reality - I am getting old and way past my prime.

ST
                          Time takes its toll but no one should let that dissuade them from proper exercise. Done properly, I find that it actually alleviates some of the creakiness and aches and pains associated with ageing, as it keeps your joints, muscles and tissues healthy. Not to mention your mind.

Sports like badminton, or indeed any sport requiring very quick and sudden movements, are just asking for trouble in my view. They may be fun but the nature of the sudden extreme movements is such that you run greater risk of injury, certainly if you don't do a long and careful warmup with lots of stretching, and perhaps even if you do. But there are plenty of other options: walking, running, swimming, yoga, pilates, etc. Or, if you're going to do something that requires very quick, sudden movement, warm up properly. That's always a good idea, but really critical as you get older.

Comment

Even a little is good for you ...

Originally posted by harbethpr

Don't forget! A few minutes of exercise every will make a difference to your overall health.
                            For those interested, here's a fascinating recent article from the New York Times explaining some new research into one reason exercise is so beneficial:

http://nyti.ms/yXbdDj

Comment

Eating very well in Vegas

The Heart Attack Grill, Las Vegas (where else), home of the health life style, as reported on BBC Radio 4's PM programme, 16 February 2012.

Loading the player ...

I'm speechless.
                              Alan A. Shaw
                              Designer, owner
                              Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Best health tips ....

I always had problems with gyms, therefore...

...my suggestion for a great workout-machine:

Get yourself a dog!
                                (if you life in a rural area)

My "workout" is that I walk at least 1 hour a day trough the woods.
                                No matter what weather, rain, snow or beautiful sunshine.

In addition I play tennis once or twice a week and my uncle (because he made me remember our marathon-time) persuaded me to run at least a half-marathon in june. So I sometimes just go out jogging. But that, to tell the truth, will probably be more often when the days are longer.

Comment

Working...
                                X