Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Headphone horrors: earbud headphones for use in the gym - Item 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headphone horrors: earbud headphones for use in the gym - Item 1

I've been meaning to touch on this subject for ages. Basically, I have a little problem. I can't resist the shiny, sexy packaging that ear bud headphones come in, with the promise of spectacular sound quality for a few pounds, nor the metallic colours ... the BS about newly discovered headphone miracle technology ... I'm a complete sucker for all of it. And yes, I do use headphones at the gym (and in the sauna, where I've started a new trend in personal entertainment la mode), and yes, good sound does matter, and yes, they don't last forever. My main pusher is the supermarket.

Occasionally, and I do mean very occasionally, I find something quite reasonable for my investment threshold of about $10. Most often, I'm so disappointed that I rip the plug off after five seconds, cursing my own gullibility, and sometimes, like today, I find a set which is so unspeakably appalling, so unbelievably colored, so abysmally low-fidelity despite the attractive cosmetics that I am in awe of the marketing genus that has collared me. The sound is best described by imagining that you are listening to cheap loudspeakers in the room with your head rammed up a chicken's bottom, that is, your entire head buried in a chicken carcass*. It's that good.

Feel free to contribute your "gym go-no go" list, as I just can't believe that there is not something out there that is tolerably good sounding. The ranking system is out of 5 *****. So here is our own WhatFiHeadphoneAGoGo rating system.

Item 1: Philex 79134IS

Supplier: Wilkinsons general store
    Cost GBP 1.80 (around $2.70) - very inexpensive
    Blue/white moulding, blue flexi chord
    Marketing blarney: None. No claims about sound quality
    Sound quality: Half a star
    Value for money considering price/performance: Half a star
    Fit to ear: The first pair of earbud 'phones that as supplied do not fit my ear. The rubber grommets are too large. No alternatives supplied

*{Moderator's comment: CAUTION! Do not try this at home no matter how tempting: serious risk of asphyxiation.}
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Etymotic ER4S

Have a pair of these for over 15 years. Still available and unchanged in design .
    Worth spending the extra. ( order them directly from States) The first and still best (IMHO) universal in-ear phones.
    http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones.html

Comment

Expensive does not mean indestructible

Originally posted by P.C. View Post
      ...Worth spending the extra.
      I think the problem with these (or any expensive earbuds) is that they are just as likely to get ripped apart and broken as cheaper options when undertaking any sort of vigorous exercise.

Comment

Moulded to fit

I've been using a pair of Etymotic hf3 for over 5 years. Excellent sound quality but to get the best out of them (or any other in-ear devices) it's worth having personal moulded inserts made by you local audiologist.

Ups the cost but makes them fit more securely and improves sound quality.

Comment

Also recommended....

Ive also been using Etymotics for many years. They sound good and block out a lot of external noise. In the gym however, I can only use them on machines with little or no impact - elliptical, bike, etc.

The sound of your footsteps is just too loud on the treadmill...

Comment

A recommendation

I don't have a no-go, but this is a go. Bought a pair about a year ago, and have been very happy with them for gym use.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-RP.../dp/B003923350

I would buy another pair of something happened to them.

Previously, I'd used some Sennheiser wrap-around-the back-of-your-head headphones because they were supposed to be water resistant to some extent, and I sweat a lot when I exercise. They never felt very comfortable. The Panasonics haven't had any issues due to my sweat.

Comment

Body noises

Another Etymotics fan here!

As with every IEM, is mandatory to create a tight seal in the ear canal. This has the serious drawback of acoustically coupling both the cable and the skull bones to the tympanums, so that every scratch of the cable and every vibration that generates or otherwise reaches the skull bones like when running or eating, causes very appalling noises. This effect is well known as "michrophonic".

A way to partially get rid of it is to make an acoustic short circuit between the cable and the bones, wearing the phones "cable up" and looping the cable around outer ear. This anyway only avoid noises transmitted along the cable, so it solves the problem only when sitting (and not eating!).

P.S. Etys have the best sound, but I find them rather uncomfortable to wear, at least with not custom moulded inserts. For daily listening with my iPhone I use Apple IEMs (not stock Apple earbuds): same transducers maker (Knowles which by the way are inside a lot of other balanced armatures IEMs), similar sound signature (a little more bass and a little more distortion at mids, as they use two way transducers) and more comfortable to wear even for hours on end.

Comment

Custom fitting?

Personally not a fan of using custom molds for the ER4S. as the molds don't attach easily to the long thin body ( unlike other rmonitors designed from the off with custom molds)

The white triple flange silicone tips work best for me but Etymotic offer various alternatives to best fit every users ears. Also their customer service and out of warranty support is top quality.

Comment

Sealing the ear

Originally posted by P.C. View Post
                  The white triple flange silicone tips work best for me but Etymotic offer various alternatives to best fit every users ears.
                  Well, it depends on your ear canal's size and shape: I have not so deep but rather wide ones and the left is even wider than the right. Larger triple flange tips are not large enough to seal it, the foam ones could do, but I find them too noisy and uncomfortable.

Custom molding is not an option where I live. Finally I foud a solution by reversing inside-out the outer bigger flange of the smallest triple flange ones: this way the contact area is shorter and wider and this makes for a perfect seal.

Comment

Quality v. durability

To Alan, quality earphones, exercise and saunas don't mix.

To the Etymotic fans here, they are not the best. There is no best. They are however, undoubtedly better than Alan's 1.80 GBP model, with or without grommets.

Comment

Item 2: Tesco Hudle accessory 'phones

Continuing our own private WhatFiHeadphoneAGoGo rating system.... maybe the perfect all rounder?

Item 1: Tesco Hudle Earphones 'Tangle free cable' (only identified on simple carton by bar code 5 053526 503376)

Supplier: Tesco supermarket (own brand)
                      Cost: GBP 5.00 discounted (around $8) - be quick, looks like end of line half price
                      Cosmetics: Red moulding, red very flexible, no tangle cord
                      Marketing blarney: "Full frequency response range"
                      Sound quality: ***
                      Fit to ear: Perfect fit as supplied and two alternative grommets supplied
                      Value for money considering price/performance:

Just about perfect. Rich sound, great fit, no-tangle cord. Curiously, the EQ in my MP3 player had almost no effect on the subjective sound quality in the mid/upper range even when fully boosted. Not hifi, but thoroughly acceptable.
                      Attached Files
                      Alan A. Shaw
                      Designer, owner
                      Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Item 3: Tesco Technika

Item 1: Tesco Technika `In ear headhones black...'

Supplier: Tesco supermarket (own brand)
                        Cost: GBP 1.50 (around $2.25)
                        Cosmetics: Black moulding, standard cord
                        Marketing blarney: "High quality sound and rich bass"
                        Sound quality: **
                        Fit to ear: OK fit as supplied and two alternative grommets supplied
                        Value for money considering price/performance:

Just about passable if your MP3 player has basic EQ. Best used in a super-heated sauna filled with exhausted and large sweaty chaps and one chatty female, necessary to distract you from the unfortunate sonic limitations.
                        Alan A. Shaw
                        Designer, owner
                        Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Working...
                        X