Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

LFD LE IV Problem Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LFD LE IV Problem Help

So i had ordered the LFD IV signature version from GeneRubin. Waited 3 month and received.
    I din't expected that he sended me an open box one.
    So i pluged to my Harbeth SHL5. The sound is good but Hell it's too fast.
    It's like the singer have to catch up the beat.
    Even with moonlight Sonata , i dont feel the music. There is no deep. IT's not real!!!
    Can any comment about this with your LFD.. or mine is a defected one.

thank

Hi Tran Khoa,

I have only one question for you. What amp did u have before the LE IV?

Comment

Hi Tran
      I'd encourage you to perhaps take it up with Gene Rueben?
      I'm not sure this forum is the place to vent a problem with a dealer whose product you are unhappy with.
      Best Wishes
      C

Comment

Originally posted by Tran Khoa View Post
        So i had ordered the LFD IV signature version from GeneRubin. Waited 3 month and received.
        I din't expected that he sended me an open box one.
        So i pluged to my Harbeth SHL5. The sound is good but Hell it's too fast.
        It's like the singer have to catch up the beat.
        Even with moonlight Sonata , i dont feel the music. There is no deep. IT's not real!!!
        Can any comment about this with your LFD.. or mine is a defected one.

thank
        try play something i.e. slow... to see any diff..

what is the CDP? did you use tube amp before this?

sound serious... a mismatch?

Comment

There's no mismatch, the Mk.IV sounds very good indeed with all of the Harbeth range. I use it regularly.

There is something else wrong but I'm not quite sure what the OP is worried about.

Comment

Hello, I didn't like my LFD LEIII when I first listened to it with my C7es3's half year ago. In first instance I did change the original powerlead with one freebee I knew had a warmer sound. It was better from that moment on but........
            Specially after about a week of constant "ON" state, the sound became much "fuller" and more open and realistic. Be patient for at least one week of fully using your LEIV, it will became very good sounding!!

Comment

Originally posted by hifi_dave View Post
              There's no mismatch, the Mk.IV sounds very good indeed with all of the Harbeth range. I use it regularly.

There is something else wrong but I'm not quite sure what the OP is worried about.
              he is wary of the amplifier... distinctly

Comment

The LFD needs some hours to run in before you will realize the full capability. I just had a similar experience as you for the first 30-40 hours. After that the pace, rhythm and tempo gradually came into balance and all of the music tracks (well recorded and not) were simply more "right", meaning instrumental definition, separation, depth and soundstage are clear. You may begin to hear effects or instrumentation in the tracks that you have not head before, even though you've listened to them a hundred times. Allow the LFD to "burn in". And finally, speak with Gene about it.....he's very knowledgable and will coach and guide.

Comment

Folks, i don't think its about running in or the amp being defective. Its about perspective. Its so easy to get skewed by a particular type of sound from an amp or cdp player or spk that one is so used to, so much so that when something with a more decidedly different presentation turns up, one may in turn think that the component in question is faulty because its so different from what one is used to. It has happened several times here. I recall somebody here who thought that his new SHL-5 sounded somewhat slower in the vocals than the music itself. This is all about personal perspective. A skewed perspective if you will. I have the LE III & it has served me extremely well over the past 2 to 3 years now. I don't think of it as fast or slow. Its pace is very music driven. If anything, i feel that the LE III is always committed to delivering music in its purest, coherent & most uplifting form. I reckon the LE IV should be cut from the same fabric too.

Comment

Gene is one of the best audio dealers I know of. Communicate your concerns to him. Both my LFD Zero III and NCSE sounded wonderful with Harbeth speakers from day one.

Comment

Thank for helping me guys.

I know alot people in here have respect for GeneRuben... That why i din't send email to ask him. Thinking offended him. But i know u guys have a LFD, that why i just want to make sure.

The only thing i want to know that my LFD is it good..?.. I am worry about it. Because i buy a new one.. but received an open box, with a newpaper in side the box. And the box look soo old. That why i am wondering.

For comparing with other amps ( Rogue Cronus Magmun, YAmaha). Yes is kinda fast. Even my wife told me. I"ve tested with many music, it's very clear, sound very good with all those instruments. But it's too fast... maybe i have to put it on more like 40h..like you guys said.
                      wel i will let you guys know.
                      thank again

Comment

In view of the 'open box, with a newspaper inside' I would suggest you contact the dealer with your concerns. An open box might indicate that the amp was tested but a newspaper inside ??? That is careless.

Comment

Hi guys, I second Gan CK. It is all about perception. Allow the amp to burn-in is actually you guy spend time to let your own brain to get use to the new sound from a new amp..Yes, the the sound can get more steady and firm after it turn-on from cold but that only need 10mins or less. I always turn off my LEIII and Mistral LE whenever I do not listen to them and enjoying the music right after I turn on them no need to wait and the music is wonderful.
                          "Bath with Music"

Comment

About Speed

... The sound is good but Hell it's too fast. It's like the singer have to catch up the beat... ...i dont feel the music. There is no deep. IT's not real!!!...

How can an amplifier be "faster" than the recorded signal?

How is possible for an amp to reproduce a part of a song (the rhythm section) faster than another part (the singer) at the same recording the same time?

Can it choose a part of the complex electrical signal and reproduce it faster than the rest of it?
                            Spooky, isn't it?

Finally, what do we mean by saying "fast" or "slow"? Is it about rise and decay time?

Maybe someone has to search elsewhere to find the answers to that strange feeling Tran Khoa describes.

Comment

Thank for helping me guys.

I know alot people in here have respect for GeneRuben... That why i din't send email to ask him. Thinking offended him. But i know u guys have a LFD, that why i just want to make sure.

The only thing i want to know that my LFD is it good..?.. I am worry about it. Because i buy a new one.. but received an open box, with a newpaper in side the box. And the box look soo old. That why i am wondering.

For comparing with other amps ( Rogue Cronus Magmun, YAmaha). Yes is kinda fast. Even my wife told me. I"ve tested with many music, it's very clear, sound very good with all those instruments. But it's too fast... maybe i have to put it on more like 40h..like you guys said.
                              wel i will let you guys know.
                              thank again
                              Hi Tran Khoa,

The list of amps you had pretty much explains why you find the LE IV too 'fast'. To put you into better perspective, try comparing your LE IV head on with any Naim or Exposure. After the comparison, chances are you won't find the LE IV too fast or hurried. I seriously do not think your LE IV is defective in any way.

Comment

Working...
                              X