Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Looking for an new BRITISH amp/cd to go along with my Harbeth speakers.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A21SE (30W) is enough for me

The Mystro amp is an AB amp with 50w/channel. I use the A21SE with 30w and it is enough for me

Comment

QUAD - good relaxed sound

Originally posted by Kumar Kane View Post
      Having used both, and I am still using the 909 with my Harbeths, I would agree with the match. However while the Quad CDP2 sounded very good, the CD tray isn't as robust as say, a Marantz. And true to the way it felt, mine gave me trouble sliding in and out on my player. The 909 on the other hand sounds great and feels bombproof - my 2004 model does, at any rate.
      Very true; the QUAD 99CDP has had several drawer and mech-related issues over the years. However, it does sound rather good, very relaxed. The 909 is indeed a reliable and very musical amp, as all QUAD amps are (hence my recommendation for a thoroughly serviced QUAD 520 or 522).

QUAD's CD67 was more reliable than the 99CDP. Although not state-of-the art, it is a good machine.

Comment

909 - good value

I agree with you on the 909 - it is good value, it sounds very good (if not really great), is bomb proof and has plenty of power. It is the first amp I used with my Harbeths and only my current LFD NCSE is an all-round more satisfying listen

Comment

British v. American amp design ...

I run my SHL5's with Quad 24QC pre-amp and a Croft Twinstar 4 poweramp. The Quad and the new Croft 7 poweramp should be well within budget. Works like a dream.

However, what is also very very nice, is to run them with my Audio Research integrated VSi55 (normally keep that one in the office). Not British but US

Its funny to compare British vs US. It's like a Triumph Spitfire MkII vs a Chevy Corvette. The Croft and Quad's as simple as possible, without frills, lightweight construction, cool-running. The ARC, however, is big, heavy engineering and generates real heat. But I love both combo's - the ARC gives a little more powerful bass - got it used for abt STG 1500.

Veel succes - keuzes, keuzes, keuzes

Comment

Croft Amp

Last time I had the chance to hear Harbeth HL5s and 7ES with Sugden and Croft. From my point of view the combination Sugden (A21SE, Fusion 21CD) and the smaller Harbeths is a perfect match. The Croft AMP sounds also good but didnīt convince me as much as Sugden did. Unfortunately the Sugden combo blows out your budget a little bit...

Comment

Harbeth and Sugden - no gimmicks just quality

Without really knowing I would say Harbeth and Sugden share the same philosophy and approach to products, music and customers. Just quality and no gimmicks what so ever.

Comment

Focus on the speakers not the electronics?

Originally posted by tozen View Post
                I agree with you on the 909 - it is good value, it sounds very good (if not really great), is bomb proof and has plenty of power. It is the first amp I used with my Harbeths and only my current LFD NCSE is an all-round more satisfying listen
                Before reading posts in the forum confirm what I had started to suspect about the effect of different amplifiers on the sound as heard by my ears ( an important qualification, the last part! ), I haven't felt any need to do an amp upgrade after installing the Harbeths a couple of months ago. The 909 does what I expect it to do, which is provide a clean signal, have adequate power reserves for my listening levels out of the C7s, and it will last for another decade, I hope. I find more changes in the sound coming from speaker positioning, and room acoustics, while maintaining domestic harmony in making those changes. I have used tube amplifiers as well as other solid state amps in the past, but since 2004, I have stayed with the 909, and the Harbeths seem to do well, driven by it.

More discerning ears than mine will of course have a different view on this, which I accept.

As far as CD players are concerned, for much of my listening I am only using the DAC on mine to take digital signals from a Sonos zone player and with music in lossless form, I am getting sound that is the same as CD replay - to my ears.

All of the above has reinforced a sense that beyond a point it is far more important to focus on getting a good speaker pair, look to how they are positioned in the room, and how they interact with the room environment to get the best possible sound, given the inevitable constraints in those aspects that most people that do not have dedicated listening rooms will face.

Comment

Many good CD/amp synergies

[QUOTE=fred40;15460]I respect the praise on LFD an off what I read so far it would certainly be a very high regarding match , but as I said earlier they have no cdp in their productline so of no further interest to me

Understand your point, however my experience suggests not to limit oneself to companies that only produce both; there are many good synergistic combinations in the market to consider.

Comment

Staying with Harbeth / NAIM

Hi All,

It may sound akward but after a brief encounter with Mcintosh I decided to stay with Naim. Sounds perfect to me and why change a combi which gives me the listening pleasure for many years to come. Nevertheles I apreciated all of youre suggestions and input.

Comment

Working...
                    X