Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Looking for an new BRITISH amp/cd to go along with my Harbeth speakers.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for an new BRITISH amp/cd to go along with my Harbeth speakers.

Hi All,

Since the manufacturer of my much beloved amplifier and cd player sold the company to a French B rated speaker company I want something different to go along with my Harbeth (the small ones) And I have no clue as for synergy or something like "A match made in heaven".

I has to be British and a standalone amplifier. Price range upto 2000 Euros a piece.

I very much would like to see you"re suggestions

Regards Fred

Recapped 520

Hi Fred40,

Exposure can give excellent results. If a separate, second-hand poweramp is an option, a good condition *recapped* QUAD 520 will give very good results with any Harbeth (not easy to find, mind you).

Comment

Lfd

Hi fred,
      I not sure how much LFD is selling in your local market. I am using the older model LFD Zero LE mk3 (latest is mk4 now) with my SHL5 and a very old LFD Mistral LE with C7. Both sound very good and to me, it is "A match made in heaven". Whenever i listen to them, I am bath in music. You may consider.

Cheers.
      "Bath with Music"

Comment

Croft?

How about a Croft Integrated at £850 for the line level version or £1000 including an inbuilt MM phono stage ? There is also an R version with larger power supply and uprated components at £1700. Excellent with Harbeth.

Comment

LFD ... no CD player

Thx for the response so far. LFD is something worthwhile to look at, and available on the Dutch market. Although I prefer a cd player of the same brand and style to go along with the amplifier. And since that"s not the case.

Croft..I Don"t think there is any dealer in Holland, Have to investigate.

Any thoughts on Creek and or Sonneteer?

Regards Fred

Comment

LFD thumbs up

Another thumbs up for LFD though many have also reported good results with Sonneteer Orton or Alabaster. Have a listen to both, if possible. But take note that LFD does not come with remote, if that matters to you.
            Whatever it is, one can hardly go wrong pairing a British amp with Harbeth.

Comment

Naim - safe default recommendation?

I thought Naim was the safe default recommendation for British gear that "sounds good with Harbeths" and can be purchased as matching components?

Comment

Older NAIM is better!

fred,

stay with older naim stuff!

i use my 40.1 with 135, 52, CDS2. far better than the boring new mainstream stuff of that company. and after the merger i fear the tendency to mainstream sound will even become worse...

best,
                d.
                Harbeth M40.1-Naim NAC52-Supercap-NAP 135-CDS2-XPS

Comment

Sugden Mystro?

What about the Sugden Mystro amp and CD

Comment

QUAD CDP2 and 909?

How about a Quad CDP2 into a 909 power amp? The CDP2 has a volume control so can go straight into the 909. British, reliable, will match v well with Harbeth and some good deals around right now.

Comment

Naim, Quad, LFD, Croft, Sonneteer, Sugden. My overview

As for me Audio has a lot to do with emotions and a kind of “Down to earth” no nonsense approach. The philosophy behind the Brand.
                      Naim up to some 2 years ago was just that kind of company and a non- brainer as to the Synergy with Harbeth. Since Naim has chosen the IMO slippery part of going mainstream the magic has gone, the emotion and Thrill disappeared. That’s why I sold my Naim gear.

Harbeth still remains independent. Still remains on top with their no nonsense and more realistic approach to audio. For me that’s heaven and a great tribute to Mr. Shaw.

But let’s go back to my main question please.

I heard a lot about LFD and I’m sure it will make a fine match. But since they make no cdp to match the amplifier it’s not going to work for me. To be honest I mixed several brands for years and it never went to my satisfaction.

Quad . I owned Quad prior to Naim but Sorry the overall sound did not appeal to me.
                      Croft…I like the warm glowing tubes inside magnificent. But there is no dealer in Holland anywhere to find.

Sonneteer is something worthwhile to look at. Thing is that Sonneteer cd player is 10 years old and no updates since then and still a 18 bitter. Makes me worrying a little bit.
                      Sugden. Beautiful design also worth to investigate. Although 21 watts class a , Don’t know if that’s going to work

Thx for the input again Guys. I keep you posted as to what I listened for and my findings accordingly.

Comment

LFD sounds natural

Have used the LFD LE III with both the Harbeth P3ES-2 and the Compact 7 ES-3 and I couldn't praise the synergy with the Harbeths any higher. Have since upgraded to a LFD LE IV (Signature) which revealed the bass of the C7s even more than the LFD LE III did.

Notice that I wrote 'revealed', which is a descriptor I chose to use to differentiate from 'increased'. A digital sound processor (dsp) or an equalizer would increase the bass whereas a good amplifier would bring out the bass (reveal) in a natural manner. The LFD sounds just as natural as does the Harbeth making them a choice British match.

Comment

909 sound great, bombproof

Originally posted by tozen View Post
                          How about a Quad CDP2 into a 909 power amp? The CDP2 has a volume control so can go straight into the 909. British, reliable, will match v well with Harbeth and some good deals around right now.
                          Having used both, and I am still using the 909 with my Harbeths, I would agree with the match. However while the Quad CDP2 sounded very good, the CD tray isn't as robust as say, a Marantz. And true to the way it felt, mine gave me trouble sliding in and out on my player. The 909 on the other hand sounds great and feels bombproof - my 2004 model does, at any rate.

Comment

Must have matching CDPlayer ...

I respect the praise on LFD an off what I read so far it would certainly be a very high regarding match , but as I said earlier they have no cdp in their productline so of no further interest to me

Quad. I do not like the overall sound Sorry.

Comment

Rocksan?

Ever considered the Rocksan M2? Sounds wonderful with the LS3/5a which I am planning to replace soon with the P3ESR OR Compact7.

Comment

Working...
                              X