Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Have you found your final system?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure I want to say anything is final, with the exception of my Monitor 30's-they should work well in any living space that could become my "final destination". As for amplifiers, I think I'm done collecting, but have quite a few around, valve and solid state. All sound just fine, thank you!

Comment

Happy Bunny

YES as there's no more cash

Seriously though, I listen for long periods to my system with vinyl and CD and radio/tv /DVD inputs and NEVER get ear fatigue. I put this down to the Harbeth M30s with their unfussy, uncoloured almost characterless sound. Vive le radial!
      The amplification although powerful is also characterless and the built-in DAC is as good as it gets.

M30s
      Bryston BP16 pre with MM & DAC options
      Bryston 10B crossover
      Bryston 4BSST power amp.
      B&W ASW750 subs
      Arcam alpha 5 cd as transport
      Thorens TD160mk 2 with AT95E cart.
      TOSlink from PC and DVD
      Sp-diff from CD and HD satellite RXCVR
      Paul

"If all else fails, read the instructions"

Comment

Just listening here for awhile now......C7ES3, LFD mk4, Rega P5 w/Clearaudio Aurum Wood and TTPSU, Musical Surroundings Phonomena II, Arcam BDP100, Apple TV2, Macbook Pro, Benchmark DAC1 Pre, Presonus Firestudio, LFD Hybrid Ribbon for speakers, Kimber Hero interconnects, Nitty Gritty. Grateful for this system and ears to hear.

Comment

Final System Reached

Originally posted by GregD View Post
          So, have you discovered your final system and if so, what does it consist of?
          Good thread. Yes, my final system has been reached and was due to purchase of Harbeth loudspeakers.

Toshiba DVD player (handles CD and SACD too) - £25, new from UK high street
          el cheapo interconnect
          Rogers A75 Series 2 amplifier (1980s solid state class AB amp - free, pinched from my father)
          Chord Rumour 4 cable (bought before I knew Flymo cable would work almost as well)
          Harbeth P3 ES2 on Something Solid open frame steel stands

Used to use an expensive Arcam player, sold to raise cash for imminent New Zealand trip. Couldn't bring myself to part with the Harbeth's because a) nothing else will do and b) I'll not be able to replace them. They'll be donated to my Dad as penance for having nicked his amp.
          Ben from UK. Harbeth Super HL5 owner.

Comment

I hope so! But, as mentioned before, the "change bug" is a powerful thing.

7Es-3 (Tiger Ebony)
            Audio Research SP-17
            Manley Mahi Mahi
            Linn LP12 Akito/Adikt
            Bel Canto Design DAC 3 VBS, CD2
            Apple MacBook Air
            Revox A-77 Mark IV

Comment

Yes. Vintage Quad and Harbeth.

Comment

Currently:
                M40.1 Rosewood
                Magnum Dynalabs MD307
                Sugden Masterclass CD

Very happy....

Comment

SME synergy with Harbeth

Originally posted by GregD View Post
                  ...I recently bought an SME Model 10 turntable and am waiting for an SME V tonearm to be built for me at SME's factory in Steyning, East Sussex. As for a cartridge, well in keeping with the theme maybe I should go for an EMT cart? To start with I'll probably get something more affordable, before taking the plunge with a luxury MC...
                  Hi Greg,

I also consider to buy a SME 10 in the next year and I'd like to get specific feed-back from you to know about the synergy between SME and Harbeth. SME users often describe the product to be analytical and others say that they are natural. Confusing... So, I'd like to have your opinion on this one.

Plus, have you consider SME's 20/3?

Sébastien

Comment

Manley's Mahi-Mani with Harbeth

Originally posted by Loop4fun View Post
                    ...Manley Mahi Mahi...
                    A friend of mine just bought a pair of Manley Snapper. Even if I have this company in strong respect, the Snapper dissapointed me a bit. I found that they sound way to "big" in his sound system. He has a pair of Verity Audio Rienzi. For example, the double-bass on a jazz recording sound way more bigger than what it is in real.

Anyway, I'm curious to know how's the Mahi's sounding with your Harbeth. Some observations are welcomed.

Sébastien

Comment

Final Destination in Hifi.. stop fooling yourself..

Comment

Hi Sebastien,

The double bass sounds way too big not becos of the amps but largely becos of the Rienzis. I have heard a couple of Manley amps & even a monoblock with the old Harbeth HL-5 & even tried the Stingray with my SHL-5 in a home trial. No they don't have bloated bass at all. So far most of the Verity spks (except for the Tamino) i heard have exaggerated bass, esp when the bass woofer is facing backwards.

Comment

Sebastien: Picking-up the SME V later this week

Originally posted by Sebastien View Post
                          Hi Greg,

I also consider to buy a SME 10 in the next year and I'd like to get specific feed-back from you to know about the synergy between SME and Harbeth. SME users often describe the product to be analytical and others say that they are natural. Confusing... So, I'd like to have your opinion on this one.

Plus, have you consider SME's 20/3?

Sébastien
                          I will be going down to my dealer to pick-up the new SME V arm later this week and to buy a Benz Micro MC cartridge too. I'll let you know my impressions on the overall sound a few days after everything's settled-in. I'll be using my Nagra PLP phono-stage/preamp and Nagra VPA valve monoblocks with my Harbeth P3ESR speakers.

I can't forsee any synergy issues with SME/Harbeth myself. Both aim for natural, accurate reproduction with no fluff added. I think the cartridge would make more difference actually. Add in the Nagra pre/power and my whole system is really geared towards what I would call 'invitingly natural sound'.

I had a chance to get an SME 30/2a at an excellent price a few months ago, but I decided that the Model 10 is all I really need. The 20/3 is certainly a great turntable though...

Like Harbeth, the SME turntables could easily outlive their owners!

Comment

Classic timeless components.

SME, Nagra and Harbeth. Wonderful combination in so many ways!

Comment

Rienzi's fault

Originally posted by Gan CK View Post
                              Hi Sebastien,

The double bass sounds way too big not becos of the amps but largely becos of the Rienzis. I have heard a couple of Manley amps & even a monoblock with the old Harbeth HL-5 & even tried the Stingray with my SHL-5 in a home trial. No they don't have bloated bass at all. So far most of the Verity spks (except for the Tamino) i heard have exaggerated bass, esp when the bass woofer is facing backwards.
                              Well, I'm glad to hear that because I was a little aware of the sound from the Manley but. like I understand, we are much talking of the sound from the Rienzi. Thanks for your feed-back.

What about the Stingray with SHL5?

Sébastien

Comment

Final sound .. .I doubt it.. final sound for now.. very close !!
                                Harbeth M30's on Skylan stands (latest versions)
                                Blue Circle BC303-DWBB-KQ-LOC true balanced statement pre-amp.. Gilberts work of art
                                Blue Circle BC 206-NST solid state power amp, it started life as a stock 206, but was recently reworked by removing the tube input stage, and replacing with Gilberts latest thinking on a pre-driver stage..
                                Marantz SA-11S2 SACD/CD player.. perhaps not the last word in slam and dynamics, but always a joy to listen to.
                                Magnum Dynalab MD-102"T" FM tuner.. lovely..
                                All strapped together with Transparent Ultra MM balanced interconnects and speaker cables. Sorry Alan.. listening to this stuff will rot yer brain.. it just makes music.
                                A custom Blue Circle phono stage is in the works, to merge my secondary phono rig into the main system. It's time to do some consolidation.

Comment

Working...
                                X