Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Have you found your final system?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sebastien View Post
    Well, I'm glad to hear that because I was a little aware of the sound from the Manley but. like I understand, we are much talking of the sound from the Rienzi. Thanks for your feed-back.

What about the Stingray with SHL5?

Sébastien
    Well, the Stingray didn't do it for me at all. Don't know if the set i took home wasn't properly calibrated or what but i found the Stingray that i tried to have a very tipped up midrange which made the sound shouty & uncomfortable. Much like as though if an amp has bass, mid & treble controls & the mid was turned up to the max. The bass was very tight & snappy but rather lean. I find my current LFD LE III to be quite a fair bit better than the Stingray. Much better balanced & with the feeling that everything just sounds 'right'. YMMV though.

Comment

Originally posted by Gan CK View Post
      Well, the Stingray didn't do it for me at all. Don't know if the set i took home wasn't properly calibrated or what but i found the Stingray that i tried to have a very tipped up midrange which made the sound shouty & uncomfortable. Much like as though if an amp has bass, mid & treble controls & the mid was turned up to the max. The bass was very tight & snappy but rather lean. I find my current LFD LE III to be quite a fair bit better than the Stingray. Much better balanced & with the feeling that everything just sounds 'right'. YMMV though.
      Hi Gan CK,

Thanks for your feed-back.

On my side, maybe one day I'll ask my friend who lives at 1 km from my house to bring his Snappers and give it a try with my SHL5.

Sébastien

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastien View Post
        Hi Gan CK,

Thanks for your feed-back.

On my side, maybe one day I'll ask my friend who lives at 1 km from my house to bring his Snappers and give it a try with my SHL5.

Sébastien
        Hi Sebastien,

That's a good idea. Do let us know the outcome after the home trial. Thks.

Comment

I'am happy with my currentlysystem:

SHL5 ( Dream for 40.1 )
          Wadia 381
          Krell Evolution 402 Power amplifier
          Aesthetic calypso Pre (tube)

Happy listening all time!
          Regards,

Comment

I have been using Harbeth for the last 10 years
            I started with a second hand SHL-5 and then moved to M40
            Later when my finances went better i took a brand new M40.1
            and at the end a beautiful P3ESR

My best sound is my final one
            Sugden Masterclass SPA4 & LA4
            Nottingham Analoque Space 294 & Benz S Class
            Nakamichi Dragon
            Vintage Luxman WZ-30 (Check this out on the internet...)
            Aqvox Phono amplifier 2ci MKii in balanced mode

Comment

Very unlikely I'll want to change this SHL5 system:

PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport
              Bel Canto DAC3 (upgraded to 3.5 level) with virtual battery supply
              Krell S-275

BUT I will add an input device (bridge) for a remote streaming system when there is one on the market that supports high-resolution music and is simple, reliable and cost-effective.

Comment

On the hamster wheel

The audiophile will never stop tinkering, the music lover might.

Comment

Working...
                X