Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Have you found your final system?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you found your final system?

A lot of people on the HUG (including me) talk about Harbeth speakers being their 'final' loudspeakers. We've found that there is no need to look any further after discovering Alan's creations. But I wonder how many here have discovered their 'final' amplifiers?

Have you stopped worrying about amplifiers (and sources?) and just settled-down for the longhaul with a system that suits you perfectly?

This year I've been changing my system quite a lot, but I think I've finally reached a stopping point after moving back to Nagra PLP/VPA amplifiers again. I know they sound great, are built well and there is nothing to be gained by changing them for something new that comes along.

So, have you discovered your final system and if so, what does it consist of?

Well, You never can be sure offcourse But..

Naim Nait XS
    Naim CD5XS
    Naim Faltcap XS
    Naim Dac

Together with my much beloved PS3esr
    Last edited by fred40; 09-09-2011, 02:11 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Audio Research SP-10 pre-amp
      Theta DSPro
      Wadia i170
      iPod/iPhone
      Oracle MK II
      North Audio monoblocks (tubes)
      Wires to bind them all
      Compact 7ES3
      Might add Harbeth PS3esr to my second system, or spend the money on my camera equipment, which gives me much pleasure.

George

Comment

My wife and I would like to put Harbeth C7ES3's in our main living space. The P3's work wonderfully in my own personal space but the main living area is too large for them. So the dream at this point is to get a pair of C7's and then the work will be done...that will be a long time from now unfortunately.

Comment

Yes, I found mine..

Yes. I found my "final" setups:

C7 (bought 2004) + LFD Mistral LE (bought 2009) + Marants CD6000KI (was exchanged my electrocompaniet 4.5 pre amp with this) setup in a room in Malaysia.

SHL5 (bought 2007) + LFD Zero LE mk3 (bought 2008) + Marantz CD17mkIII (bought 2003) setup in a living hall in Singapore.

I am very happy with both and I am grateful.

Cheers

PS: Hopefully one day I can have my King aka M40.1 sing in my hall together with LFD Le mk3 music sure sound wonderfully right.
          Last edited by keithwwk; 13-09-2011, 04:39 AM. Reason: adding my "dream" King
          "Bath with Music"

Comment

yes!

harbeth 40.1 rosewood
            naim nac 52
            naim supercap
            naim nap 135 (2*)
            naim CDSII
            naim XPS
            naim naca5

best,
            delgesu
            Harbeth M40.1-Naim NAC52-Supercap-NAP 135-CDS2-XPS

Comment

Yes...and no!

To clarify, my main system is now a Quad 99/909 driven Harbeth C7 system, with a Rega P5 turntable and a Marantz KI pearl lite SACD player. I doubt that will change short of a hardware failure, from here on. The Quad and the Rega are both 2004/05 bought/made.

No, because I have added a Sonos layer of icing on that cake, connected to the digital input on the Marantz. I think I am pretty close to sound that is good as that from the SACD player, but I can't say for sure, so there may be some tweaking to be done there. But my sense is that I am pretty close to done there as well. Internet radio is another dimension of pleasure added to the home audio experience, I have to say.

Comment

Who knows ;-) but YES, if asking today

My System is really great and fully aligned with WAF and home limitation (don't have a dedicated room so compromise is... Compromise

My system today :
                Naim Supernait + Hicap + Powerline + Naca5
                Naim Cd5x + Hiline
                SB3 + Synology DS 209+ (NAS)
                Avid Diva II Turntable + Naim Stageline
                Brand new pair of Harbeth c7se3

Cheers

Phil

Comment

Harbeths in Switzerland?!

Originally posted by Hififan View Post
                  My System is really great and fully aligned with WAF and home limitation (don't have a dedicated room so compromise is... Compromise

My system today :
                  Naim Supernait + Hicap + Powerline + Naca5
                  Naim Cd5x + Hiline
                  SB3 + Synology DS 209+ (NAS)
                  Avid Diva II Turntable + Naim Stageline
                  Brand new pair of Harbeth c7se3

Cheers

Phil
                  Naim is popular, although the whispering lure of additonal power supply upgrades is always there!

I see you live in Switzerland. I adore the Swiss brand Nagra, but I did not know Harbeth distributed there.

Comment

Currently:

Oppo-95 universal player
                    Roksan Caspian M2 integrated amp
                    Harbeth P3ESR

Plan is to work on adding a USB DAC or Streamer DAC as my source.

Still getting the hang of P3ESR. While it has thrilled me many hours and at times even surprised me, there are still times I crave for more dynamics and detail.

Comment

Well, I'm not sure if it's my last, but I don't know what more I could want:

Harbeth Compact 7ES-3
                      McIntosh C22 60th Preamp
                      McIntosh MC275 Mk V Amp
                      Wavelength Brick V3 DAC
                      REL T-5 Subwoofer
                      Apple Mac Mini
                      Zu Audio cabling

Comment

Originally posted by GregD View Post
                        Naim is popular, although the whispering lure of additonal power supply upgrades is always there!

I see you live in Switzerland. I adore the Swiss brand Nagra, but I did not know Harbeth distributed there.
                        Hir GregD

Yep, Nagra is very good but lot to expensive for me ;-)

Harbeth is actually not distributed in Switzerland (really don't know why !!) so had to buy them in Germany.

Cherio

Phil

Comment

While my current SHL-5 & LFD LE III is serving me well now, very well in fact, there's still a tiny voice in the background telling me that an M40.1 with LFD NCSE or PA2M/LS3 pre/power combo might really be the end of the road to musical nirvana. For me that is. Whatever it is, the SHL-5 with the LE III is already providing me with lashings & lashings of musical pleasure that i don't get when listening to setups costing many many times more. And that for me is more than enough.

Comment

How my system is coming on

Originally posted by Hififan View Post
                            Hir GregD

Yep, Nagra is very good but lot to expensive for me ;-)

Harbeth is actually not distributed in Switzerland (really don't know why !!) so had to buy them in Germany.

Cherio

Phil
                            I think Nagra and Harbeth is a great combination. I have the Nagra PLP valve preamp with phonostage and h/phone amp, and soon will be buying a pair of Nagra VPA 845 triode PP valve monoblocks from a friend. I used to have their CDC CD player too.

I like the idea of using Nagra and Harbeth together because of their impeccable professional audio heritage. The quality of both brands is the pinnacle of audio equipment for me. I also have a dCS SACD player, who also have their roots in professional studio equipment. Just need some Van Damme cable to complete the pro/broadcast feel of the system! (Van Damme cables are much cheaper than audiophile witchcraft wires as a bonus).

I recently bought an SME Model 10 turntable and am waiting for an SME V tonearm to be built for me at SME's factory in Steyning, East Sussex. As for a cartridge, well in keeping with the theme maybe I should go for an EMT cart? To start with I'll probably get something more affordable, before taking the plunge with a luxury MC.

Once this system is finished, I don't intend to buy anymore hi-fi equipment again!

Seems that people have some very nice systems here that really don't need changing. I hope you can all stave off those nagging thoughts that lead to 'upgrading'.

Comment

As many of us : yes and no.

I've got the "change bug" I'm afraid.
                              Current set is:

SHL5 (no planned change )
                              Audionet ART G2 CD player
                              VPI Scout (could be jeopardized, may buy again a Stabi S)
                              Leben CS 600 (may buy a SS integrated but the Leben is less than 6 months)

SHL5 are definitively keepers for me

Comment

Working...
                              X