Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

At its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition was to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless, independent of the observer and can be replicated. However, we live in new world in which objective facts have become flexible, personal and debatable. HUG operates in that real world, and that has now been reflected in the structure of HUG.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you, like us, have a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be readily understood by non-experts and tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area. From Oct. 2016, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area will not be spell checked or adjusted for layout clarity. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Jan. 2017}
See more
See less

Nad Vs Rega for C7ES3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    We all respond differently to the sound of an amp into a given speaker and it is a personal choice as to which is best.

    To my ears and those of my customers who have tried, the new Brio R is a very dynamic, lucid, communicative amp and, as I said, it is to replace the Mira, which is out of production in it's current form. A replacement will probably be here next year but at a far higher price.
    Originally posted by Bas R View Post
    Sorry, I'm a newbie here but I just had to respond to this statement because I feel the opposite about these amplifiers. I tried both amps, the Brio R and Mira3, and found them to be sounding very different on my C7-es3's. To my ears the Brio R was a delicate sounding amp that just lacked the dynamics, air and flow to get me involved in the music it amplified. The Mira3 on the other hand did just that, it got my head floating and my feet wildly tapping. To my taste and needs the Mira3 is an excellent amp for the money, it brings out 90% of the glory that Harbeth speakers can give and in such a way that you don't really care about the other 10%. Needless to say, I bought one, together with a Rega Dac. If only I wasn't a sucker for tubes (I like to stare at glowing objects..) I could swear I would never need another amp again. Offcourse, all that is personal. For others who are more into a dry, clean and detailed sound the Brio R might be the 'better' option. But I think it would be a mistake of Rega to discontinue this model. And I certainly wouldn't label the Brio R as better than a Mira.

    Just for reference of my personal taste, before I went out listening to the Rega's I had a Naim XS in my system for two weeks. I realise that Naim is highly regarded on this forum. The XS sounded amazingly detailed and clean but in the end I found it's sound to be a bit dry and cold for my taste.

    Comment


    • #17
      A little late for this thread, but I just finished A/B comparisons of a newly arrived Rega Elicit and my current Luxman amp. The Elicit is for a planned 2nd setup but I hooked them up to my Compact 7s just to give them a spin. Very dynamic and very ballsy sound, detailed yet to tiring to listen to. I'd heartily recommend the Rega Elicit for the Compact 7.

      I still prefer the sound of my Luxman + Compact 7 combo, but really if you had the budget and prefer Rega, I'd say go all the way to the Elicit.

      Comment


      • #18
        I don't have C7's, but have run my P3's with both NAD and Rega. I was using an NAD C326BEE and am now using a Brio-R. Both work excellent with my Harbeth speakers. I still have the NAD, my wife is using it in her system.

        Comment

        Working...
        X