Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Amplifier selection for your Harbeths (general, not specific Harbeth models)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Amplifier selection for your Harbeths (general, not specific Harbeth models)

Hi JLL,
    you can try Lavardin IT integrated amp with Monitor 30.

Lavardin IT

http://www.lavardin.com/lavardin-modelIT.jpg

Cheers.

Originally posted by JLL
    Hello,

I have juste bought a pair of Monitor 30, for the moment I drive them with a A75-C75 (old branch Cambridge Audio).
    I think the bass is not well drived.
    What kind of amplifier could take the place of my Cambridge audio, with the same sound but with more bass?
    I have read that naim is suitable fot harbteh, but I doubt that naim and (old) cambrdidge audio have the same sound.
    I know that the new model, NAP 150 sound quitly different with the old 180.
    Could "you" help me?

Comment

• Re: Naim alternative

Please try also Croft GCI or Syntegra Amp. The GCI sounds full of details and fantastic if you like to hear the music not so loud - the Syntegra has the power for the full sound if the whole orchestra forces their instruments.

Comment

Originally posted by sonofcolin
        Naim make 3 good integrated amps. You don't need to add power supplies to them, they are optional.
        3 integrated amps by Naim ?
        I know just Nait 5i, what are the others ?

David

Comment

• Re: Amplifier selection for your Harbeths (general, not specific Harbeth models)

Have you tried it with Monitor 30 or just with your C-7 ?

regards,
          David

Originally posted by Soundbyte
          Hi JLL,
          you can try Lavardin IT integrated amp with Monitor 30.

Lavardin IT

http://www.lavardin.com/lavardin-modelIT.jpg

Cheers.

Comment

I'm a ex-Naim owner with multi boxes and now driving my C7ES3 with Primare I30 - effordless power with refined liquidity that my 72/1400HC never knew...beautiful even at relatively low level.

By the way, Rega Mira3 sounds great too. I could have happily bought it till i auditioned the I30.

Comment

Originally posted by airdavid
              3 integrated amps by Naim ?
              I know just Nait 5i, what are the others ?

David
              5x, 5i, superNAIT. 5x may have been superseded by 5i (but it's still quite recent).

Comment

Hi
                I am a new member and I joined because I am thinking of purchasing a pair of Super 5s (with the 7 ES 3 as a second choice)
                I am not ready to upgrade my electronics yet, and so will be using an old Pass Aleph 3 amp which is a 30 watter class A. Has anyone used this combination and will it be able to do justice to the 5s or 7s?
                Thank you!
                Mary

Comment

Originally posted by yeasaen
                  Hi
                  I am a new member and I joined because I am thinking of purchasing a pair of Super 5s (with the 7 ES 3 as a second choice)
                  I am not ready to upgrade my electronics yet, and so will be using an old Pass Aleph 3 amp which is a 30 watter class A. Has anyone used this combination and will it be able to do justice to the 5s or 7s?
                  Thank you!
                  Mary

Mary

Depending on your room size and how loud you listen, the Aleph 3 will sound sweet with the Harbeths. But I feel it might sound a bit lightweight with them. Again, depends on your pre-amp you are using. With tube preamp, that might help put some weight on the music.

Good luck. Thats a great amp.

Comment

Originally posted by yeasaen
                    Hi
                    Thank you!
                    Mary
                    Hello Mary,

nice to have you a new friend in the Harbeth society!

I'm using a McIntosh integrated at 120watts/8ohms. Cannot get the volume over 1/3, it will shake the earth! The SHL5s need some space, not so much - let's say at least 3,5m. W by 4-5m. L, in order to healthy develope their bass without probable risk of a bit spoiling the mids and highs (also furniture and curtains/carpeting do real good). As for power, you'll most probably get surprised from what your Pass will do with them! Seeing my powermeters, I hardly have ever used more than 10watts per channel to get them really loud... and I mean just a few seconds peaks. "A" class isn't at all funny.... 30 watts of it are quite a power. A Hungarian made Etalon integrated with just 10w at A class, once lifted off the ground in front of my ears a pair of heavyweight floorstanders with an 88db sensitivity at 8 ohms... I don't think you'll get lean bass foundation, not at all. If I could afford more, I would have bought the Accuphase E-530 two years ago. Expensive, but divine! Can drive almost anything!
                    Happy to mail you anykind of help for your SHL5s, as far I have put them on my own designed and tailored wooden stands, many cabling tests, positioning etc. And they keep my so happy every day!

Cheers from Athens, Greece,
                    Thanos

Comment

Hello guys ,

Here HL Compact 7ES2 driven by Odyssey Audio Tempest and Stratos preamp and amp
                      Bellavista Turntable Origin Live arm and Denon DL103R mc cartridge
                      Mit cables

I love my C7ES and the whole system

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...tereo/1024.jpg

Comment

nait 5x doesn't exist !!! SuperNait in the 2007....

what do you think of Roksan with Harbeth ?

David

Comment

You are correct. It's CD5x. I actually meant Nait 5, 5i and supernait. Nait 5 no longer in production.

Comment

Hi! I am a woman from Sweden that is going to buy a pair of super hl5s soon.
                            I have just listened to a French lavardin amplifier the IS reference and i liked the
                            sound a lot. Is there anyone here that have any experience with Harbets and Lavardin?

I am also planning to buy a Origin live Aurora with the silver tonearm and a musikman MK 3 cartridge.

Is there any better amplifier for around 3500??

Comment

Hi Cristel,

The dealer from whom I bought my SHL5s, and later M40s - I love both speakers - sells Lavardin in addition to Naim and other electronics. He has mentioned that he is particularly fond of the way the Harbeths sound with the Lavardin (I'm not sure which model, thought I think it's 50 Watts). Perhaps he'll read your post and respond himself with more detailed information. Whatever amp you get, I think you are going to love the SHL5s!

Ned

Comment

Hi Cristel,

I'm the dealer Ned is referring to in his last post to you. Ned, thanks for your support. First of all, the SHL5 is a favorite of everyone who comes to my place for a demo. For many, there isn't a reason to get anything else. The entire Harbeth line is extremely musical and very similar sounding. The main differences between the speakers seems to be caused by the different cabinet sizes and the resulting limitations. In particular the midrange of every speaker is very special, indeed.

Since the Harbeth line is so revealing, you can hear differences of almost every change you make. Stands change the sound, sources change the sound, ampliers and cables change the sound. There are many options to help you tailor the overall sound to your liking.

As a dealer for Naim, Audio Note, lavardin, and Manley (only US manufacturer) amplifiers, I have found all of them very capable of driving the SHL5's. They do sound different, but due to the ease of driving the SHL5 they all perform well. A purchase decision has more to do with your personal sound preference and, of cousrse, your budget. Some customers seem to prefer tubes, other's solid state. Naim creates a little more immediacy (up front) while lavardin seems to put the sound well behind the speaker plane. For these reasons you should request an in-home demonstration.

The only lavardin model I have on demo is the IT. It is the more expensive of the integrated line. The lavardin has a way of giving you all the benefits of solid state yet seems to avoid the artifacts created by most solid state amplifiers. It is a very special amplier, and in many ways seems like the perfect partner for Harbeth. However, the list of good amplifiers that perform well with Harbeth is long, indeed. I hope in some small way I have helped without causing more confusion.

John Geisen

Comment

Working...
                                X