Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Amplifier selection for your Harbeths (general, not specific Harbeth models)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Naim alternative

(First post, hello everybody)

Anyone considered as a Naim alternative, the Moth line of amps? Does anyone knows them? They are in a way very similar to older Naims (discretes, separate power supplies); I've only listened to their phono pre, really nice.

Experiences anyone?

Guido

Comment

I drive my LS3/5As with a Consonance M99 Plus re-tubed with Sovtek KT66s. This seems to be a very pleasing combination. M99s come up on Audiogon at very reasonable prices and they are integrated, so no need for lots of wiring. A bonus is that they also look very cool with the "coke bottle" tubes glowing. That said, I am a strong fan of Naim's older chrome bumper products which are hard to beat for smooh power with a larger speaker.

Comment

hi folks,

it?s nice to see: you are searching like me in Germany.
        I?ve heard for some weeks the creek Destiny against my naim 5i.
        In my room, with my Monitor 30, my music etc. I prefer the Creek. I?m only glad to hear this combination. Total harmony.

happy listening
        werner

Comment

Originally posted by wats
          hi folks,

In my room, with my Monitor 30, my music etc. I prefer the Creek.

happy listening
          werner
          Why? Could you be more specific?

Thank you,
          regards

David

Comment

• Crimson and Harbeths??

Hi Gang!
            I'm thinking of picking up a 610 pre and 620 amp. Anybody out there running Crimson at all? Wondering about pairing with HB's.

Mike
            ESC

Comment

• Re: Crimson and Harbeths??

Hi Mike,
              i heard crimson 640e monoblocks with a dCS P8i CD/SACD Player and Harbeth M30 a few weeks ago. In my opinion the amplifiers overemphasize the speed factor and don't sound really natural especially with classical music. The Harbeth M30 easily point out the character of the amplifiers instead of other speakers i heard with crimson gear (610, 620+630) a few years ago. Maybe a more neutral ampilifier design would be more suitable for Harbeth speakers.
              Regards, Thomas

Comment

• Re: Amplifier selection for your Harbeths (general, not specific Harbeth models)

Greetings,

I just got a pair SHL5's, the rest of my gear is a Cary SLI-80 integrated valve amplifier with 2xKT88 per channel, a Cary CD308T cd player, a vintage AKAI turntable with the small BENZ cartridge amplified by a creek OBH-18 phono-stage and a SONY tuner. The room is my kitchen-living room combo area, about 5.5 by 6 meters.

So far i am very happy with the speakers, I really appreciate their full bodied sound and clarity plus i just love their "old-school" look.

Comment

• Re: Amplifier selection for your Harbeths (general, not specific Harbeth models)

Has anybody expriences with CROFT SYNTEGRA amplifier?

Comment

I own a Denon PMA 2000AE. Will i get perfect results with a SHL 5?

Comment

• Re: Naim or Sugden

I have a pair of HL-P3ES-2 and I have owned both the Sugden A21a and the Naim Nait 5i.
                      In my humble opinion - and for my taste ? I?ve found the A21a to be a better match.

Comment

• Plinius amplifiers - what is going on?

As you may be aware, Harbeth (USA in particular) and the management of the (original) Plinius amplifier company developed an affection based on Harbeth and Plinius amplifiers working rather well together and making very good music. We happily shared each others equipment at various trade shows a few years ago.

As a result of this a certain perception developed in the marketplace that we, Harbeth, were globally endorsing our relationship, and this motivated some customers to seek out the combination and invest their money in it, even when the local Distribution network was not in place or was immature.

Amplifiers are considerably more complex than loudspeakers and problems do develop which need expert attention - the very service a Dstributor is set-up to offer. As I understand it, the Plinius company changed hands a couple of years ago in a business restructuring and the two leading lights in which we had confidence and a direct relationship have long departed. We have not been able to identify their successors - if any.

Where does that leave the customer? In a very difficult situation, since we are aware that the communication with the (new) factory is very sporadic at best, and sadly, we at Harbeth have no direct line into their company any more to help resolve Warranty and similar issues.

So - we reiterate Harbeth UK's long standing policy: we only endorse electronics from people and brands that we personally know, have been in business for many years and have an impeccable after care record. In my view - as I've said before - this reassurance is more valuable than the last degree of so called fidelity so please do not expect us to be drawn into recommending this or that amplifier. Almost anything will work with a Harbeth.

As a general view, there is no point owning a thoroughbred racehorse who runs like the wind but has an aversion to race days.
                        Alan A. Shaw
                        Designer, owner
                        Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Hi All,

I currently have a quad 34/306 amp and am looking to upgrade. I'll probably buy second hand and am looking at a Linn Majik integrated. Don't know if this will be better but any ideas on how Linn/Harbeth match would be useful. I'm also considering a Krell KAV 300i or a Unison research Unico.

Comment

Hi all, I'm looking for a power amp or integrated amp to power my C7s. I enjoy a rich, mellow, and relaxed sound that is not forward or bright. Budget is under 1200US...I am considering Sugden and Cayin at the moment. Does anyone have any experience with the two companies or know an amp that may meet my expectations? Thanks.

Comment

Alan,
                              what about NVA amplifier with Harbeth?

regards
                              David

Comment

I'm really sorry but I am not able to answer your question. There are two reasons:

1. As I have said many times, "Harbeths will work well with all and every credible amplifier". I know nothing about NVA so I can not comment on their amplifiers.

2. I am not able to endorse any particular brand. There are a handful of amps that I have personally used over the years and am satisfied with. They are certainly not the greatest examples of amplifier design (I suppose: or maybe they are? I can't say for sure) but they are well above average (I guess). That's good enough for me.

Why shouldn't an amplifier work well with Harbeth? I can only imagine that it would be faulty or poorly designed or both. There must a a thousand different amps out there that will work really well with Harbeth.
                                Alan A. Shaw
                                Designer, owner
                                Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Working...
                                X