Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

The Harbeth integrated amplifier

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Labarum View Post
    this amplifier: did you conceive it or beget it?
    and they will im sure grow up to be beautiful offspring and children, not kids (the baby goat type of sound).

Comment

• Hi Alan,

I still have the Quad 34 in my arsenal of equipment and have always enjoyed the tilt control in combination with bass step down and occasionally the filter. I do not have the controls "set" to a particular setting for my room or speaker placement. I try to leave them set flat, but find that different recordings, especially some of the older vinyl really benefit from their use. So for me it is mostly about getting the recording to work better in my room - so I guess you might say I find them "recording dependent" and much more useful than just bass and treble controls.

John

Comment

• Originally posted by A.S. View Post
        I find it hard to believe that anyone with hi-fi speakers would need to use the bass boost positions, but would guess that in a real-world situation a combination of the bass-down step control plus the tone paddle tilt down would help most real-world listening rooms.
        Believe it Alan. It has nothing to do with how hi-fi the speakers are. It is all about the listeners. The iPod generation is adapted to mightily heavy bass. Some ear phones can have over 20dB gain in the bass region!

Comment

• If I remember correctly one of the proposed uses of the bass boost was for "loudness" control - extra bass needed when listening at very low volumes. Loudness controls were in vogue at the time; the Sugden A48 II more sensibly had a "Quiet" button which dropped the volume 20 dB (20?) except at the lowest frequencies.

Comment

• some of the current Yamahas have just one knob for a similar type of effect, bass and i believe treble lift?

Comment

• Originally posted by Labarum View Post
              If I remember correctly one of the proposed uses of the bass boost was for "loudness" control - extra bass needed when listening at very low volumes. Loudness controls were in vogue at the time; the Sugden A48 II more sensibly had a "Quiet" button which dropped the volume 20 dB (20?) except at the lowest frequencies.
              Loudness control were in vogue during the 70s & 80s especially amongst japanese mass market amps. I remember one Akai integrated amp employed a 3 step loudness control that provided different levels of bass & treble boost. And there were amps from Luxman that allowed the user to boost bass & treble at pre selected frequencies....oh btw, Akai even incorporated a midrange control, in additon to the normal bass & treble controls.

Comment

• My made in Japan JVC int amp (may made in ealy 80s) is come with loudness control. 1 press the overall sound become louder and the music become harsher as well. I remember my parent bought home a local made (in Singapore) hi fi minicombo have the loudness control, equaliser, bass, treeble, bal, mute and doby noise reducer as well (for cassette).
                "Bath with Music"

Comment

• Originally posted by Gan CK View Post
                  ... Akai even incorporated a midrange control, in additon to the normal bass & treble controls...
                  All of this reminds me of the McIntosh 6900 that offers 5 band equalizer: 30Hz, 150Hz, 500Hz,1500Hz and 10kHz.

About Akai, my father had an Akai amplifier, tuner and tape-deck when I was very young. I always been impress by this hi-fi system. The first that I heard.

Sebastien

Comment

• I wonder if Alan's "black box" will be EQ and/or some other form of processing in the digital domain. I think one of the posts referred to an ADC, so this would seem to make sense.

Comment

• Hi Fellow Huggers!
                      Wow! I feel as if I have worken up from a deep slumber! A Harbeth Integrated Amplifier? Can someone slap me and tell me that it was only just a dream?
                      I read Alan's earlier post and the word that he used (endorsed) really struck and appealed to me! Not only will the amplifier be a no-nonsense, no-frills affair (really an extension of the Harbeth philosophy of concentrating only on what matters), I have a feeling that the amplifier will be similar to the elusive one (we still don't know what brand it is except that it is solid state, roughly around 50 watts, ultra reliable) that Alan uses in his Test room to 'voice' his masterpieces, the P3ESR and Monitor 40.1 being his latest evolutions. If that is so, I think the Harbeth Integrated amplifier will already be a 'winner' in the sense that there will be certain sysnergy between the electronics and the speakers. I have been on the roller-coaster trail long enough to understand and appreciate that SYNERGY is the key and most times I have missed the mark not because the equipment I then owned was lousy or bad but simply because when mixed with other equipment (CDP, DAC, preamplifier, etc) it just did not synergise, one with the other! You can imagine the permutations of getting the synergy 'right' with an infinite number of permutations, thus the constant need to change equipment (and the consequential frustration, dilemma and needless stress that has been alluded earlier in this thread).

As for the 'magic box', could I make a wild guess that it might be a one box wonder with the latest digital tricks - DAC, iRadio, music streamer ..... and don't forget the ever burgeoning iPod, iTouch, iPhone and now iPad community!

Comment

• Originally posted by denjo View Post
                        ... that SYNERGY is the key and most times I have missed the mark not because the equipment I then owned was lousy or bad but simply because when mixed with other equipment (CDP, DAC, preamplifier, etc) it just did not synergise, one with the other!
                        I feel the same. For me, an high-fidelity sound "system" should synergize. There is a lot of components in that chain!

Sebastien

Comment

• Release Date

Sounds interesting.When will we be able to see details/pictures of the amp?

Comment

• I have just thought of a feature I'd very much like to see on a Harbeth integrated amplifier (apologies if this duplicates any previous post).

As I own the P3ESRs, and will likely be staying with them for a while, the adding of adding a subwoofer for more (or any) deep bass intrigues me. The smallest REL model is what I'm thinking, since it's relatively inexpensive and has a good reputation for being a music- rather than special effects-oriented product.

But REL recommends running off the speaker terminals, which means that the main speakers are running full-range (the same of course would be true running a line level signal to the sub). It would be great if there were an EQ facility in the amplifier, i.e. a high-pass filter with selectable parameters, to allow easy integration with a good subwoofer and to filter out the low bass from the main speakers, so that they can do their jobs more easily from the mid/upper-bass on up, once a subwoofer has been added to take care of the deep bass.

Thanks.

Comment

• Wouldn't it be great if people just settled on a good enough, affordable amplifier so that they have more money left to spend on where things are not all the same, like the loudspeaker, say moving from P3 to eventually the M40?

Comment

• Such facilities degrade the sound and cost money to implement, which is why high quality amplifiers have evolved over the years with minimal facilities. Tone controls, EQ, filters, speaker switching etc, etc are available on any AV receiver if required but have no place on a Hi-Fi amp.IMO

A Harbeth amplifier should be great value (as are the speakers) and as good as it can possibly be for the price.

Comment

Working...
                                X