Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Which Harbeth for my Naim Supernait Setup ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test will start soon...hopfuly

Originally posted by Hififan View Post
    Just for info i'm expecting to have a M30 (rosewood) brand new for a test @home in september. I'm really curious about the result of the Proac D15 Vs Monitor 30 (domestic) comparison......hope that Harbeth will help me to reach my "listening graal" ;-)

Just need to find good stand for the test (60 cm if i'm not wrong)

Keep you posted soone for the result.

Phil
    Update : I also asked about direct M30 vs Shl5 comparison....but not sure that will be possible as no Shl5 on stock now..grrrr.

Just a question (as i will not be able to test all the sepakers) : What about Radial 2 (like wich installed on the 7es) and the basic radial (like which on SHL5)...Benefits ? new SHL5 "R2" planned ?

Tks a lot for your support

Phil

Comment

It might be best to concentrate more on the sound of these speakers rather than worry about the technology of the cones. All of the Harbeth range have different characteristics but all have the solid, tactile, natural mid-band which sets them apart from most other speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by hifi_dave View Post
        It might be best to concentrate more on the sound of these speakers rather than worry about the technology of the cones. .
        100% in line with you ;-)

Comment

Hi Everybody.
          My Proac D15 are not anymore in my room....sell them yesterday ;-) ..so it's time for me to find what i'm looking for in term of sound.

Just as addit info , my room size is :
          - 4.2m X 5.4m X 2.3 => so not so big
          - If speaker 1m from the front wall, with 1m behind the listening position and the rear wall. Distance speaker listening position could be 3m max

- Today my setup is 0.9 from side wall, 1m from front wall, 2m between speakers, and 2.1m between speakers and listening position (means 1.1m from listening position and rear wall)

As mentionned previously, it's very difficult (would name it "a nightmare") to be able to listen Harbeth speakers here .....
          - Have to drive at least 4 hours (Nothing available on my country)
          - Should accept listen them in another room than mine.
          - Should accept listen them on an another system (as reminder, mine is NAIM Supernait "SN" + Hicap with AVID Diva Turntable + squeezebox on SNDac)....
          - And finally only limited (2) speakers are on demo (the P3ESR and M30)....my wish was to compare the M30, Shl5 and the 7ES3 to take the right decision.....made one "mistake" with the D15 (not fully my taste pairing SN..but just my taste...some like it ;-) ) so dont want to do it twice.....lot of money loss too :-(

Question :
          Should i travel to UK to test Harbeth with NAIM using the same system as mine ? (not my room sure but......)
          if yes where ? (Close to an airport would be nice ;-) )

The test (other Brand) made so far :
          B&W 805 Matrix (1994) : Metal dome =>still sounds aggressive, nice mid, limited bass and finally sound boxy on complex message => Overall : Will let them as "home cinema speaker" as set today.
          B&W 805D (2010) : Diamond dome => High seams fine..perhaps still a bit to high... (not tested on NAIM but another brand..home demo will be needed), limited bass but well integrated, airly sound..speakers disappears. => Overall : Nice speaker but as i want to feel the piano and contrabass size the bass could be the bottleneck.

Tks for your support....

Phil

Comment

Well, you're certainly welcome here, only 25 minutes from Stansted airport.

Your room is about average for a British room and I've sold all models of Harbeth for use in such rooms with no complaints so far. The M30 and C7ES will be perfect and the SHL5 also if you don't mind a large speaker in your room.

Comment

And finally......after a bit less that one year with the Proac D28 (very nice speaker in a Medium/bigger room but if small..forget them).......i'm back in my livingroom with a pair of C7-se3 in front of me ;-)))
              Tks to all of you for your support and your help during my quest.

So my Supernait/Hicap and my Cd5x are now paired with those beauty...... have to tune a bit, but sounds good so far.

Phil

Comment

This is my second post. I reply because this thread is of interest for me as I am a Supernait owner, I am not using a HiCap, though, rather an old Snaps which I recapped and modified to dual-rail. The result is a smoother, perhaps more timbre-accurate psu than the muscular HiCap.
                And I am looking for a chance to hear Compact 7s. They would probably be a very significant and lasting upgrade for me. I have small stand mounts from Naim, I am perhaps a die-hard Naim user but wish to move to a more involving speaker. Strangely enough, I have always found Naim's house sound to be more of a refined, intellectual nature than of a spontaneous one. Perhaps it's time that I move to different speakers...
                I'll continue to follow such threads carefully. I greatly appreciate the civil and communicative atmosphere of this forum.
                Thanks
                Max

Comment

Working...
                X