Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Recommendable cartridge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really know - my comparison many years ago was with the V15 circa 1990. You may well be correct but I doubt if it is now possible to do a comparison!
    David
    PS For interest I attach the frequency response for the actual EPC-U205CMk3 cartridge I bought - I've never seen anything better than this! [I'm aware that one can damp out spectrum peaks by judicious choice of pen damping with this measurement equipment but troughs or sustained peaks cannot be hidden.]
    Attached Files
    Last edited by davidlovel; 01-12-2011, 03:53 PM. Reason: Added Technics EPC cartridge frequency response

Comment

I have not had a re-tip done by Soundsmith, but I am using their MMC2 cartridge on my old B&O turntable and we enjoy it in our family room system. Soundsmith is generally well-regarded. The founder, Peter Lederman, is passionate about his products.

If you like the sound of your DL-103, you might also try the ZuDL103 cartridge from Zu Audio in Ogden Utah. I use one on my VPI turntable (see photo).
      Originally posted by camel View Post
      any comment about this: http://www.sound-smith.com/retip/

is it worth?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by jplaurel; 01-12-2011, 08:25 PM. Reason: Added photo

Comment

Originally posted by A.S. View Post
        For our money the MM game plateaued with the 70s V15/III. Doubt anything better is possible? Was recently gifted a very expensive sealed-box MC Ortofon cartridge by a chum and fitted it with great care to my TD125/SME 3009-2. Lifeless, lacking in HF sparkle and removed after a day and the V15/III refitted. Bliss (as far as LP is possible).

As a result of this very limited experience, I am highly suspicious about MC cartridges now. It simply wasn't 'high fidelity' as I understand it. Their (then) entry level MM 520 was far more open and as I checked the frequency response virtually a flat line.

Curves available if you're interested of various cartridges I measured.
        Hi Alan,

if i undrestood, you suggest to me for a Shure cartridge MM?

Comment

thinking about Audio-Technica AT-150MLX!!

Comment

Originally posted by camel View Post
            thinking about Audio-Technica AT-150MLX!!
            If you like AT, i suggest you check out OC9/III or AT-33PTG. I am currently using AT-33PTG & am very happy with it. From what i read so far, the 33PTG is better than the AT-150MLX. I've heard several very expensive carts on even more expensive turntables but don't feel that my AT-33PTG on my inexpensive vintage turntable is in any way outclassed by any of those hyper expensive carts/turntables. Only caveat is that the 33PTG takes a pretty long time to break in.

Comment

I've already order it (AT-150MLX).!!

Comment

The match of tone-arm and cartridge is also critical. A high compliance cartridge will work with lightweight arms (i.e. ortofon 2m black with SME V) and a low compliance cartridge will work well with a high mass arm (SME 3012 series 1 with a Denon DL103).

I just expanded my turntable collection with a Lenco L70 with the very heavy P77 tonearm and mounted a DL103. And it sings, beautiful bass. Quite different from my 2M Black on SME V with Garrard 401.

Despite the rumble of the Lenco, I seem to enjoy it more. At the same time I love the super quiet 401 with the high precision SME V and 2m Black.

Well, at least we still have plenty of choice to play around with

Comment

We do! There is so much interesting and truly well made analogue stuff out there, much more than there is in the loudspeaker-department (i.e. a Harbeth is a more unique item than an Ortofon or even a Lyra).

Vinylists still have it good these days and I've just 'discovered' a gem: the Grado Statement Sonata.

This is easily the most organic and holographic cart that has resided in my Jelco SA750D tonearm so far. My last was a Benz ACE SL; great cart but not as natural or mature in terms of timbre & natural bloom.

It is low output so it can be connected to he same MC input as our previous cart (phonostage has to be set to 47 kiloOhms though).

Grado, like Harbeth, is a traditional and long-running company where pride is taken in making an honest, musical product. The Grado-Harbeth transducer pairing is a very good one (I always like to keep the character of the source and speaker balanced; they should 'agree' on how to portrey music).

Originally posted by Boukman View Post
                  The match of tone-arm and cartridge is also critical. A high compliance cartridge will work with lightweight arms (i.e. ortofon 2m black with SME V) and a low compliance cartridge will work well with a high mass arm (SME 3012 series 1 with a Denon DL103).

I just expanded my turntable collection with a Lenco L70 with the very heavy P77 tonearm and mounted a DL103. And it sings, beautiful bass. Quite different from my 2M Black on SME V with Garrard 401.

Despite the rumble of the Lenco, I seem to enjoy it more. At the same time I love the super quiet 401 with the high precision SME V and 2m Black.

Well, at least we still have plenty of choice to play around with

Comment

Working...
                  X