Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Recommendable cartridge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendable cartridge

Hi,

my Rega Planar 3 with RB300 needs new catridge(Denon dl-103R is old now),
    what cartridge do you recommend to me the best for this turntable? Price not too much than 385GBP !

thanks

In my Rega p5, the Dynavector 10x5 is doing very well.

Comment

I have a Dynavector DV20X high output with my Rega P3 and RB300 arm. Great match! This cartridge is neutral and extremely well balanced, just like the Harbeth.

Sébastien

Comment

about Benz..!?

what about Benz? what is the difference with Dynavector?

Comment

For your budget you may do better getting a moving-magnet cartridge. I use an Ortofon 2M Black which is excellent (detail, tone etc.etc.)
          David

Comment

Yes!! why not!! many good reviews have wrote about Nagaoka's cartridges!!

Comment

Stylus Retipping!!

any comment about this: http://www.sound-smith.com/retip/

is it worth?

Comment

I have an Ortofon 2m Black on my garrard 401 with SME V and a nagaoka MP500 on my Lenco 88 with SME 3009 II. Both beautiful cartridges. I think I slightly prefer the Ortofon - more rounded sound.

Comment

I've heard a Benz Silver sound good on a P3.

Of course the Rega cartridges are good matches, but they will be much different than your Denon.

Comment

Originally posted by JJack View Post
                    I've heard a Benz Silver sound good on a P3.

Of course the Rega cartridges are good matches, but they will be much different than your Denon.
                    Yes! i had Rega Elys before and it was more rhythmical and lively than Denon. Of course, Denon is more detailed than R.Elys and has better micro-dynamics.

Comment

Originally posted by davidlovel View Post
                      For your budget you may do better getting a moving-magnet cartridge. I use an Ortofon 2M Black which is excellent (detail, tone etc.etc.)
                      David
                      Hi David,

Does this cartridge has immediacy? if you know what i mean! because i've heard Ortofon 2M Red and that was the only point misses!! And that, for me is very critical!!

Comment

hello camel

The Ortofon 2M Black is certainly transparent, if this is what you mean by 'immediacy', however it does not push the mid / upper part of the sound spectrum forward which can give false immediacy. While it is not politically correct for this User Group ("All amps and wires sound the same"), the answer to your question could depend on the nature of your amplifier, interconnects and speaker cables [I assume that you are using Harbeth speakers which as we all know are accurate and very transparent]. I've done my best to ensure that these elements are neutral i.e. as accurate as I can judge and I'm very happy with the 'immediacy' with this cartridge in the chain.
                        Hope that helps
                        David

Comment

Shure cartridge

For our money the MM game plateaued with the 70s V15/III. Doubt anything better is possible? Was recently gifted a very expensive sealed-box MC Ortofon cartridge by a chum and fitted it with great care to my TD125/SME 3009-2. Lifeless, lacking in HF sparkle and removed after a day and the V15/III refitted. Bliss (as far as LP is possible).

As a result of this very limited experience, I am highly suspicious about MC cartridges now. It simply wasn't 'high fidelity' as I understand it. Their (then) entry level MM 520 was far more open and as I checked the frequency response virtually a flat line.

Curves available if you're interested of various cartridges I measured.
                          Alan A. Shaw
                          Designer, owner
                          Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

I largely agree Alan.

I looked at frequency responses when buying cartridges. In general the MCs had a high-frequency peak in their responses. As a result I bought the Technics EPC 205 MM cartridge which had the flattest response and superb treble. In my view it was better than the Shure V15 and certainly far better than MC cartridges at sane prices. Unfortunately the Technics is no longer available although replacement / compatible styli are listed. The ones I've tried do not provide the same performance as the original.
                            David

Comment

Better than the V15/III which was a dramatic sonic improvement on the V15/II Improved? Really?
                              Alan A. Shaw
                              Designer, owner
                              Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Working...
                              X