Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Which turntables do You use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Circa 1984 Mission 775 + 774 Tonearm + Supex SD Mark II Moving Coil connected to my Quad 44 + Quad 405-2 (both recapped) - it all sounds sweet!

Comment

Rega P9 & RB1000(using JA Michell Technoweight), Dynavector XX2 Mk2 and Whest PS.30RDT.

Comment

Thorens TD 125 MKII with Grado Gold cell and needle brings me in sonic heaven ever since I finally got my SHL5's at home, delicious!

Comment

Nottingham Analogue Horizon with Rega RB250 tonearm and Elys MM cartridge. Creek OBH-18 Phono stage.
          Considering upgrade to Ace Space Tonearm.

Comment

1st post, new Harbeths only a week old, Compact 7es-3, Oracle mk II turntable, Mission 774 arm, Denon DL 160 MC cartridge, Audio Research SP 10 pre and Cayin 88T amp, a modest record collection that grows by the week...whew.

George

Comment

Originally posted by Macjager View Post
              1st post, new Harbeths only a week old, Compact 7es-3, Oracle mk II turntable, Mission 774 arm, Denon DL 160 MC cartridge, Audio Research SP 10 pre and Cayin 88T amp, a modest record collection that grows by the week...whew.

George
              Welcome to HUG and most importantly, congtrat to you into pure music world thru C7ES-3.
              "Bath with Music"

Comment

I'm using a Thorens TD160BC modified by Audio-T (circa 1983), with a Mission 774 arm and Ortofon 2m black MM cartridge. RIAA is via a pure sound p10 phono amp.

David

Comment

Hi all!

I am new to the HUG, I am using my SHL5s with a VPI Scoutmaster, Dynavector DV XX 2 MKII cart and a Cinemag SUT running through a McIntosh C2300 preamplifier.

Comment

Well Tempered Labs Amadeus with Dynavector DV XX 2 MKII cartridge...... Match made in heaven with my SHL5's and Naim amps.

Jeff

Comment

dps2, Schroder Model 2 SQ, Dynavector DV XX-2 MKII with Whest PS.30RDT SE... With Lavardin IS Ref :D

Comment

Seems like a few HUG members are using the DV XX-2 MKII cartridge.

A wonderful sounding cartridge IMO.

Off topic, but just wondering what tracking force others have set theirs to?

For me, with a VPI unipivot arm I settled for something slightly on the heavier side, that is, 2.1 grams. I initially started with 1.8g, however I found more musicality with a heavier tracking force.

Comment

Hi there,
                          I am using a Thorens TD 126 MK3 in custom mahogany plinth (massive, made from very old wood) with factory mounted SME 3009/3 and Shure V15III with Jico SAS stylus.
                          Cheers
                          Oliver

Comment

I realize that I never answer that thread. Here it is: I'm using a Rega P3 turntable with a RB300 tonearm and a Dynavector DV20XH cartridge. Everything is support by a Rega wall-rack directly screw in a brick wall. My phono stage is a PS Audio GCPH.

Actually, I'm dreaming on a Rega P9 or a SME 10. One day...

Sebastien

Comment

I' ve sold my Dual CS-503 II, and now use the ProJect Debut III with ProJect 8.6D tonearm and the Ortofon OM 5e.

If you don't want much from your turntable, it is very good looking, very cheap and comes in one piece in the box.

Comment

Just an update, I now have my Oracle and my Rega Plannar 3 up and running - Oracle now has an old Nagaoka MP 20 and the Rega has a Dynavector Karat 17D3. Currently running through a pair of North Audio tube monoblocks (North Audio is a boutique manufacturer out of the Ottawa/Gatineau area - Chelsie for the Canadians, les Canadiens in the crowd). Noticeable change in the soundstage, which I did not really expect...much better than the Cayin, and it was nice!

George
                                Last edited by Macjager; 04-03-2011, 04:03 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Working...
                                X