Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Which turntables do You use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lenco L-75

Comment

Don't you people think straight arm is much easier to make than j or s arm which sure need some evaluation to determine the angle?
      "Bath with Music"

Comment

Technics SP-10 mkII project

Hi everyone,

I'm just about to complete a long term project to assemble an exceptionnal turntable set-up who will play in the big league at a fraction of the cost. It started with the purchase of a Technics Sp-10 mkII in excellent condition with its external power supply. I took it to my audio technician to upgrade every capacitors, change a small led and adjust the speed.

Then, I order an Albert Porter plinth made of panzerholz wood that I received this week. This plinth is gorgeous. You can see it on the Porter House Audio website.

For the tonearm, I ordered a SME 312S which is also amazing. Since a long time, it was clear for my that I'll go the SME way. In the last months, I just hesitated to commit myself on a SME 10 or a Technics SP-10 mkII? Stimulated by many people who've gone the SP-10 way, I took the plunge without regret but a high stimulation.

Finally, I do have a brand new Denon DL-103R to mount tonight on the SME 312S and I last week I received a Nagaoka MP-50 cartridge.

Lots of fun ahead.

Sébastien

Comment

ah, turntables.... Garrard 401 plus smeV. very pure and clean. lovely for classic. And a Garrard 402 plus sme 3009II, it rocks. And an SP10 plus 3009, very clean and easy. Currently building a Garrard 301 plus SME 3012 and a Goldring Lenco 88 plus a Jelco 12" arm. Very curious about those.

Overall - a good turntable is a good turntable. Somehow, I love the Garrards. Feels like they have more drive than belts and direct drives. May be the 'Tractor' look. With respect to arms, the SME's are great, easy to set up, precise and sound lovely.

I also have a Lenco 70 with the fabled p77 tonearm, but it somehow doesn't do it for me. sounds dull.

Guess its all about boys and their toys

Comment

Picture please

Hi Sébastien, love the look of Alberts plinths(as seen on Audiogon). please post a pic of your turntable when up and running if you can. Thanks Philip.

Comment

My goodness, that is a beautiful Lenco. Did you have it restored?

Originally posted by muypogi View Post
              Just arrived to complete my system based on the Compact 7. . .

Lenco L75 S16 with original Acos arm + Benz MC Gold cart on a layered rosewood plinth . . .

:-)

Comment

Originally posted by jplaurel View Post
                My goodness, that is a beautiful Lenco. Did you have it restored?
                Thanks! Got the table as a new old stock one from a dealer in Spain, of all places. Except for the layered plinth and the new acrylic dust cover, everything is original. Had to convert it to 60hz though, as I had a Euro 50hz model.

Here's a pic with the cover:

Here's another idler drive I have, a rare Pioneer PL-25 idler that I'm fixing up for a second system:

Comment

Hi Philip,

I will for sure in the next week. Just have to put the Stillpoints cones and risers on. It's pretty much finished yet. I started listening to it last Friday, setting up the SME 312S, what a piece of ingeneering!

Sébastien

Comment

Hi Sebastien

I totally agree with you about the SME 312S I used one on a fully restored Garrard 401 with a variety of cartridges:absolutely superb sound!!
                    It would be very nice to see pictures when you have completed your project.

Paolo

Comment

If I may lower the tone a little -

Fully serviced and fitted with a humble AT120E cartridge, it's a highly entertaining and clean tracking old budget deck in regular use in my little second system

Comment

A few pictures of my Garrard 401 / SME 3012 MKII / Denon DL-103 turntable, rewired with Vandenhul Thames phono interlink. DSC02613.JPGDSC02615.JPGDSC02626.JPG
                        This one does the magic trick for me!

Comment

Starting on from next week a Townshend Rock 7 after my Vpi Scout

Comment

I have a Garrard 301 with SME 3012 S1 plus Bluenote Babelle or V15 Mk3 cartridges, Thorens TD 124 with SME 3009 S1 with V15 Mk3, projects include Lenco L75- probably putting an old Hadcock and Benz Glider on it- and Commonwealth R12D with Grace G-660P and V15 Mk5. I love old idler wheel turntables. Drive, rhythm and grip. Main system speakers Harbeth 40.1s, Fosgate phono stage, Raysonic Ref 2 preamp, Silicon Arts VL120 amps, second system Tannoy D700 or ESL 57s, Leben RS100U preamp, Leben CS 660P power amp and Marchand phono stage. Building a pair of JBL 4333s for playing rock'n'roll loud. Love TDA 1541 16 bit CD players too- have had a Marantz CD7 from new, plus an ancient California Audio Labs Tempest 11. The good times roll!

Comment

Welcome Stephen, wonderful system you've listed there. I've always lusted after the Marantz CD7 ever since it came out and almost managed to buy a used unit around 5 years ago from a Canadian who unfortunately had second thoughts and pulled out of the sale at last minute.
                              But at least I have the Harbeth M40.1s like you. Did you buy them from Jason at Parmenter? I'm looking forward to seeing his new wooden stands for them.

Comment

My Michell TT

Using a Michell TecnoDec with Michell 250 arm + TecnoWeight and together with a Nagaoka MP110.
                                Other sources you see on picture are Cyrus FM7 and CD8SE.

Also using an LFD Zero LEIII/MMamp in same case (so not electronically integrated; has own transformer and PCB!!)
                                Combined with Harbeth C7ES-3 on Ikea Oddvar stands.
                                DNM interconnects and ArtSpeak(Dutch brand) LScable and ArtSpeak Powerdivider and Powercords.

In general sounding very pleasant, warm but open and detailed with contoured bass, realism and nice highs
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X