Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Speaker cable connections

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Speaker cable connections

    Hi,

    1) Will speaker cable wrongly connected to the amplifier (out of phase) damage the speaker?

    2) Correct me if i'm wrong, should the standard colour code be negative = red and positive= black?

    In the user guide, picture A shows amplifier positve is connected to "red" speaker input and amplifier negative is connected to "black" speaker input.


  • #2
    Re: Speaker cable connections

    Jmohd

    Red is positive and black is negative. If connectors are reversed, i doubt it will damage the speakers. the phase would be reversed. So, if you listened to a track when hitherto the vocalist was on the right, you will now hear him/her on the left.

    Congrats on your lovely setup!

    I am still hoping my carpenter will custom make my stands!

    Best Regards
    Dennis

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Speaker cable connections

      Originally posted by denjo View Post
      ... So, if you listened to a track when hitherto the vocalist was on the right, you will now hear him/her on the left...
      No! Not true!

      If you swap the channels the vocalist will as you say move from one speaker to the other (assuming that he/she is recorded in one channel - if they are recorded dead centre as many are, the vocalist will not move). But was the question about reversing the phase of both speakers? There should be no detectable change in the sound you hear if you reverse the phase of BOTH speakers. I emphasise BOTH speakers because if you reverse the phase of only one, you will tear apart the sound stage.

      As far as the amp is concerned, a music signal is so phase-confused that it does not make any difference to the amps ability to drive the speakers.

      Strong recommendation .... red to +, black to - on both speakers and at the amp and leave well alone!!
      Alan A. Shaw
      Designer, owner
      Harbeth Audio UK

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Speaker cable connections

        Originally posted by denjo View Post
        Jmohd

        Red is positive and black is negative. If connectors are reversed, i doubt it will damage the speakers. the phase would be reversed. So, if you listened to a track when hitherto the vocalist was on the right, you will now hear him/her on the left.

        Congrats on your lovely setup!

        I am still hoping my carpenter will custom make my stands!

        Best Regards
        Dennis

        Thanks Dennis,
        What stand are you uisng now?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Speaker cable connections

          Hi Jmohd
          My carpenter just confirmed the order for custom made wooden stands (solid wood pillars, MDF board top and bottom, cherry wood veneer) for SGD 520, best price. I said "Yes"! Jimmy is delivering the Harbeths on Friday 9 May and it would be awful if I did not have stands.
          My Leben is coming along very well! Over the weekend, a friend of mine (who owns the Audionote SORO, presently under repair) lent me his NOS RCA 6L6GC tubes which I popped into the Leben. The Leben has never sounded so good! I can't wait for the Harbeths to arrive!! If it sounded so good with my diminutive Rogers LS3/5a, it must sound even better with the HL5's!

          Best Regards
          Dennis

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Speaker cable connections

            Originally posted by A.S. View Post
            No! Not true!

            If you swap the channels the vocalist will as you say move from one speaker to the other (assuming that he/she is recorded in one channel - if they are recorded dead centre as many are, the vocalist will not move). But was the question about reversing the phase of both speakers? There should be no detectable change in the sound you hear if you reverse the phase of BOTH speakers. I emphasise BOTH speakers because if you reverse the phase of only one, you will tear apart the sound stage.

            As far as the amp is concerned, a music signal is so phase-confused that it does not make any difference to the amps ability to drive the speakers.

            Strong recommendation .... red to +, black to - on both speakers and at the amp and leave well alone!!
            Thanks Alan for the fast reply and clarification.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Speaker cable connections

              Originally posted by denjo View Post
              Hi Jmohd
              My carpenter just confirmed the order for custom made wooden stands (solid wood pillars, MDF board top and bottom, cherry wood veneer) for SGD 520, best price. I said "Yes"! Jimmy is delivering the Harbeths on Friday 9 May and it would be awful if I did not have stands.
              My Leben is coming along very well! Over the weekend, a friend of mine (who owns the Audionote SORO, presently under repair) lent me his NOS RCA 6L6GC tubes which I popped into the Leben. The Leben has never sounded so good! I can't wait for the Harbeths to arrive!! If it sounded so good with my diminutive Rogers LS3/5a, it must sound even better with the HL5's!

              Best Regards
              Dennis

              Hi Dennis, any chance for me to pop by your place to listen to the Leben with SHL-5? Heard so much about this pairing but no chance to experience em so far.

              Warm Regards
              Gan

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Speaker cable connections

                Originally posted by denjo View Post
                Hi Jmohd
                My carpenter just confirmed the order for custom made wooden stands (solid wood pillars, MDF board top and bottom, cherry wood veneer) for SGD 520, best price. I said "Yes"! Jimmy is delivering the Harbeths on Friday 9 May and it would be awful if I did not have stands.
                My Leben is coming along very well! Over the weekend, a friend of mine (who owns the Audionote SORO, presently under repair) lent me his NOS RCA 6L6GC tubes which I popped into the Leben. The Leben has never sounded so good! I can't wait for the Harbeths to arrive!! If it sounded so good with my diminutive Rogers LS3/5a, it must sound even better with the HL5's!

                Best Regards
                Dennis
                Hi Dennis,

                Congrats on your new purchase. Hope to see pictures of your set-up soon.

                I'm thinking of a 2nd set-up around building around SHL5. May be getting Leben CS600.

                Hope to join Gan to listen to your set-up.

                Happy listening

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Speaker cable connections

                  Hi Jmohd

                  Many thanks for your wishes! I have posted a photo of my setup under the Miscellaneous section (Photo Gallery). The Leben-Harbeth is a very synergistic combo.

                  Best Regards
                  Dennis

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Cables connections for A-B cables comparison test

                    I want to test my actual speaker's cables vs. a pair of generic copper cables. To do this, I'm looking for a set-up that I can switch on the fly from cables A to cables B. On my Luxman amplifier, I have two pairs of speaker output terminals and there is the fonction to use speaker's pair A, B or A+B.

                    I'm thinking of: 1) a pair of cables on amplifier's A terminal to the speakers lower input terminals and 2) the second pair of cable on amplifier's B combine to the higher input terminals on the speakers.

                    Can I use this set-up to compare my cables switching from A to B on my amplifier?

                    Sebastien

                    {Moderator's comment: yes, good idea but you must not remove the biwire links or you will only hear LF or HF according to which cable pair is 'live'. Do not expect to hear any difference between A or B.}

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Cable comparison

                      Originally posted by Sebastien View Post
                      ...{Moderator's comment: yes, good idea but you must not remove the biwire links or you will only hear LF or HF according to which cable pair is 'live'. Do not expect to hear any difference between A or B.}
                      Thanks moderator for your answer. Actually, I do not expect any differences between those cables. If it is so, I'll sell my pricer one to go with this straight generic 8 gauge OFC copper cable who way cheaper.

                      Sebastien

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Biwire links and A-B cable testing

                        Hi Sebastien

                        That sounds like a very clever idea for A/Bing speaker cables!

                        I agree with the moderator to stick to the Harbeth biwire links; they are very good. Don't waste your money on exotic links!

                        What speaker cables are you testing? Be sure to share your findings with HUG.

                        Best Regards
                        Dennis

                        {Moderators's comment: you misunderstand my point. The bi-wire links MUST, repeat MUST remain in place otherwise when you switch the amp's A-B switch you will not only be switching the cables you will only hear either the tweeter in one position and the bass in the other - making a comparison useless. If you like you can change from the std. biwires to another link but you must somehow bridge the red to red and black to black at the speaker end. Is this understood?}

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X